BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - New England

01-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Any good body shops for bimmers in MA?

My car was hit by a deer and I need a body shop.
I'm thinking of going with the Norwood BMW Gallery's shop. I didn't know they had a collision center and when I called them looking for a reputable shop, they suggested theirs. Does anyone have experience with them or another good shop nearby?

I have damage on the driver side doors, front fender, slight bend of the hood and also the front bumper is off place a little bit. The driver side skirt may be damaged as well. It hit me on the driver side and I could not immediately realize what happened and drove another 200 yards or so. A couple of cars stopped by. Those people seemed entirely consumed with the dead deer and showed zero interest in my mangled M car
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

No experience with that dealer or their shop, but there are bonuses when going through the dealer. They only use BMW parts and mine guarantees the paint as long as I own the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
Simmadown115
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Her:14 ESII 335iM /Me:15 SS M3

Oh No the M! I would've taken the deer home and stuffed its head to put on the wall as a reminder of the damage it did to your baby.

Make sure you chase the insurance company for loss of value against the car! Your resale and trade will plunge, but your insurance should expect that.

As far as a BMW body shop, I can give you my experience from going to them on 2 different occasions on prior cars:

1. Yes they use BMW parts, yes they warranty the paint, but it does not mean that it will be as OEM as day 1. If you don't see a wall of certifications when you walk into the body shop, RUN! I had brought a prior car if for a touch up from a scratch that responsible person was going to cover. They tried to "buff" it out and instead made the damage worse. When I complained about it, their answer was "pay or we'll keep the car". I'll refrain to which body shop this was and yes it was BMW

2. Do not expect this car to be done in any reasonable time. BMW owners always want their car fixed OEM so they keep a huge backlog of work to be done. If you rush it, they will rush it.

3. Personally I have had better luck by working with independent body shops who are very customer service focused. When my wife hit a deer on her prior car, the body shop looked over every inch of the car to ensure that it was perfect and had the adjuster return 4 times to approve it. When she came back to the car and saw that one side looked brand new and one side looked a bit faded from the clear coat, they reconditioned the entire car to be brand new. The car had never looked so good before, and she only went in from damage to the bumper and headlights!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

Collision center in Rockland was great. They aren't affiliated with South Shore BMW but are right down the street and the dealer recommended them. I also hit a deer on the drivers side front corner. Pushed the fender onto the wheel, dented the hood and broke the headlight. $14k+ in damages. These guys took great care of me, the repairs are warranted for life as long as I own the car. Many of them have experience working on other exotics- Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. I can't recommend them enough. Took 2 months total so the wait sucked but in fairness to them, 4 of those weeks were waiting on headlight modules to come from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #5
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Mike's Auto Body in Malden. Choice shop for local BMWCCA and Porsche CCA members. Owned by an E92M and previous F80 owner.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
Mike's Auto Body in Malden. Choice shop for local BMWCCA and Porsche CCA members. Owned by an E92M and previous F80 owner.
I'm going with them based on your recommendation. The only thing that concerns me is that they are charging $65/h for labor on M and Porsche cars and the insurance quoted $40/h. I was told the customer is responsible for the difference. I already have a $1k deductable and if I have to shell another $800, that's not something I'd happily do. I told the body shop that if they are not confident they can get the insurance to cover that, I might as well go look at what rates my local BMW collision center can negotiate. Then I got a message from Mike saying they will make sure I do not get charged more than my deductable.

Will see how that goes. I know a guy who had that type of a dispute with the Hollis Auto Body and I believe they did not part in a friendly way. I did not have such an issue with Hollis with the Audi I had them repair, but I was with a different insurance company at the time and did not look at what they charged.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
I have never used them, but have only ever heard/read good things about Mike's.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
AIRHEIR
X3M Comp
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
Mike's is the best. He had to do the whole front end of wife's M4. Perfect work.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post
My car was hit by a deer and I need a body shop.
I'm thinking of going with the Norwood BMW Gallery's shop. I didn't know they had a collision center and when I called them looking for a reputable shop, they suggested theirs. Does anyone have experience with them or another good shop nearby?

I have damage on the driver side doors, front fender, slight bend of the hood and also the front bumper is off place a little bit. The driver side skirt may be damaged as well. It hit me on the driver side and I could not immediately realize what happened and drove another 200 yards or so. A couple of cars stopped by. Those people seemed entirely consumed with the dead deer and showed zero interest in my mangled M car
I've used Gallery before, three times to be exact. They're good and they warranty their work.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #10
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Picked up my car from Mike's autobody today. They did a great job. It took a little over two weeks and it was not a small amount of work - two doors, fender, hood, front bumper, clear bra installation. I'd not hesitate to use them again and send my friends there.
Appreciate 0