Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #617
Irishsig
In Hoc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 6MT MG/SO

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B View Post
The Alfa won't be available with 6MT in the US. That, alone, kills the deal for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I'm still hoping that Alfa changes its mind next year..after all, the MT version already exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Me too. If they do, I'll likely buy one.
I usually tend to agree that not having a 6mt is a no go for me too but Chris Harris didn't like the 6mt at all.
Didn't really go into much detail though.
Sub-par clutch pedal movement and rubbery shift points (1:58).

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 04:18 PM   #618
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

Anyone that tracks their car knows that running an r-compound tire on a stock car can immediately reduce lap times by several seconds. (with no other modification)

Comparing the Giulia with PZero Corsa against the M3 with a Michelin PSS is really not realistic...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #619
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
We may never know but I tend to agree with this. The change of tire compound is a glaring difference that makes the comparison tough to make fairly. That doesn't change where the M3 landed in comparison to the C63 and ATSV nonetheless.
Have you had a chance to drive the ATS-V? I spent a week with an optioned out one in San Diego

- The interior isn't on the same level as the M, however the Recaro seats are absolutely phenomenal... Potentially the best OEM I've sat in
- The suspension in the ATS-V is lightyears ahead of the M... embarrassingly so
- The steering and feedback on the ATS-V is also significantly better than the M

Outside of that the M is a much better car overall; I never had the feeling of something "special" with the ATS-V.
Oh I definitely agree. I like the ATS-V in terms of what GM can do but as an overall package I'm not as interested. Mostly due to styling and interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 12:54 AM   #620
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Where are the lap times?
why not to ask him directly?
https://www.instagram.com/harrismonkey/
      02-08-2017, 05:09 AM   #621
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage.ulm1 View Post
why not to ask him directly?
https://www.instagram.com/harrismonkey/
I seriously doubt the Giulia-Q was able to match the GTS in terms of lap times, that qould be radically different than all other reviews. I think it was more of a subjective statement from CH.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying the Giulia-Q is a bad car, quite the contrary. Alfa have a found the good recipe here and the Giulia-Q is receiving a much better welcome from the press that the M3/4 did. I think this is quite telling. For the majority, it's not about track performance and, from that perspective, Alfa likely have a winner in their hands.

However, from an ouright performance point of view, it dissapoints slightly considering its specifications. Like I said, for it to just match the F8X lap times in so many comparos with 60~80 more hp and being shod with R-Comps is surprising. I have a biased view though because I buy my cars as dual pupose cars: pratical daily driver and weekend track car, so track performance is important to me. Since I do it for ~20 days a year, I know for a fact, that by simply slapping on R-comps on my M4, it becomes a much more performance focused machine with far more grip and much sharper handling. It does become much more enjoyable to drive with them on. I am however not willing to live with the compromises of R-compounds on a daily basis such as the dramatically shorter life and compromised wet weather capability. I am wondering how many Giulia-Q owners will be willing to live with that compromise. Or how many will swap out the Corsas after they have quicly melted away. And the big question is how will the Giulia-Q perform at that point.

Note that even CH was lukewarm about the Alfa in his first Giulia-Q video review, saying that "it is not objectively as good as an M3"

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 02-08-2017 at 07:00 AM..
Appreciate 0