Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #1057
Zomboss
Enlisted Member
Zomboss's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP MG/SO
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Emerald City

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlskry View Post
Did stock size on the rear 437m's- 275/35/19

Have star spec, stock size MPSS up front with 50% tread left


The PS4's out back feel like drag radials!
I might go this route next time I need to replace my PS4S. I love the increased traction of the PS4S, but I miss the responsiveness of the star spec PSS on the front.

Last edited by Zomboss; 11-01-2020 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:53 AM   #1058
chetman7
Lieutenant
117
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: F80 m3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone cross shopped or have experience with driving the 4s and s007a tires? Wasn't sure if the s0007a were a good.middle ground between the 4s and a true extreme summer tire
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:31 PM   #1059
therealkenc
Second Lieutenant
therealkenc's Avatar
United_States
123
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: BSM/SO F83 ZCP M4 vert
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboss View Post
I might go this route next time I need to replace my MP4S. I love the increased traction of the MP4S, but I miss the responsiveness of the star spec MPSS on the front.
Is the difference in responsiveness really that significant? Or is this highly subjective?

I'm curious cos I had planned to go with PS4Ses all around for my next set, and I like the responsiveness of the PSSes (albeit that my experience with them was on an E92).

FWIW, I'm on the stock CSC 5Ps for now so I guess regardless of which tire I go with I'm probably gonna feel like I've upgraded to better grip/traction/responsiveness?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #1060
Zomboss
Enlisted Member
Zomboss's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP MG/SO
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Emerald City

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkenc View Post
Is the difference in responsiveness really that significant? Or is this highly subjective?

I'm curious cos I had planned to go with PS4Ses all around for my next set, and I like the responsiveness of the PSSes (albeit that my experience with them was on an E92).

FWIW, I'm on the stock CSC 5Ps for now so I guess regardless of which tire I go with I'm probably gonna feel like I've upgraded to better grip/traction/responsiveness?
The difference in responsiveness was the first thing I noticed when going from PSS* to generic PS4S. It was obvious to me, but its also very likely to be subjective. With the PSS*, turn in is instantaneous. On the PS4S, I notice a very slight delay.

Hereís a good comparison between the two tires on the M2C. What you give up in responsiveness is made up for by vast improvements in other areas. Tough decision.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...00&postcount=1
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #1061
therealkenc
Second Lieutenant
therealkenc's Avatar
United_States
123
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: BSM/SO F83 ZCP M4 vert
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboss View Post
The difference in responsiveness was the first thing I noticed when going from PSS* to generic PS4S. It was obvious to me, but its also very likely to be subjective. With the PSS*, turn in is instantaneous. On the PS4S, I notice a very slight delay.

Hereís a good comparison between the two tires on the M2C. What you give up in responsiveness is made up for by vast improvements in other areas. Tough decision.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...00&postcount=1
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Hopefully the benefits will outweigh any apparent decrease in steering responsiveness for non-track use haha.
Appreciate 1
MattRST101.00

      11-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #1062
kyleb350
Brigadier General
kyleb350's Avatar
United_States
208
Rep
4,478
Posts

Drives: TBM F82
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Milwaukee

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
With the colder temps I had to inflate my tires. From 29 to 33. Man did the ride get exponentially worse! I turned it down to 31 as it was just unbearable for me. NYC roads blow.
Also keep in mind, with the colder temps, the tire compound itself gets stiffer as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #1063
White340
Major
773
Rep
1,232
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 Competition
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
With the colder temps I had to inflate my tires. From 29 to 33. Man did the ride get exponentially worse! I turned it down to 31 as it was just unbearable for me. NYC roads blow.
Also keep in mind, with the colder temps, the tire compound itself gets stiffer as well.
Indeed though the 4s deal with it better than the PSS.


What's the lowest we can ride on these safely? The temps are variable so I'm seeing between 31 on a warm day to as low as 27 this morning. What's the bare minimum before I shouldn't drive it?

I know the obvious answer is 32 all the time but I want to know if there is a number under which you shouldn't drive. At 27 the tpms still showed green.
__________________
2018 M3 Competition : AW/SO
2016 340i xDrive : AW/CR (previous)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 06:29 PM   #1064
2legit
New Member
3
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
Has anyone cross shopped or have experience with driving the 4s and s007a tires? Wasn't sure if the s0007a were a good.middle ground between the 4s and a true extreme summer tire
Just switched to MP4S 1 month ago(lexus RCF spec) from 007A. Drove 007A for about 10k miles. 007A sidewalls are stiff and feel sporty like the OEM MPSS and 5P. 007A steering is lighter but car feels planted. 007A has better grip than MPSS and 5P. Within the 1st 6k miles the grip was great but fell off after 6k miles and became poor close to 10k. 007A rears only lasted 10k miles. Rain performance was good. MP4S definitely has a better dry grip. Wet grip feels about the same to me. However, MP4S sidewall is slightly softer making he car have a less sporty feel and slightly slower steering response. Also a 255 MP4S is narrower than 255 007A. So consider upsizing when is you decide to buy MP4S as my tires now look skinny and i cant wait to burn through them just to upsize. In summary, MP4S has a better dry grip for sure and in all honesty better rotational balance in corners. The 007A are good tires but if you have a heavy foot like me, your rears wont last more than 12k miles. If sport driving is important to you 007A is the better tires. If less sporty driving but more grip is better MP4S is the way to go. Don't get the continentals extreme contact sports. Their sidewall is too soft even though they are good tires and provide better grip than the 007A.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 01:57 PM   #1065
Dmanfiman
New Member
Dmanfiman's Avatar
5
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Fort Lauderdale

iTrader: (0)

OK, I read the whole thread, plus a few others.

I didn't see this directly answered/listed, if I missed it, then my apologies.

I'm sold on the 285/35/19 rear for the 437m.

I'm uncertain on the front whether to go 255 or 265 /35/19.

What is the diameter difference between the two?

Does anyone have any real world feed back between them?

My thought process is the 255 should keep a little better initial turn in bite, as well as look a little less squared off at the front. Not certain however if this will maintain the necessary diameter ratio front to rear.

feed back is appreciated.
__________________
Prior Vehicles: '18 Q50RS, '13 335i M-Sport, '04 330ci SMG, '04 GLI 1.8t
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:09 AM   #1066
AlterZgo
Major
913
Rep
1,363
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 6MT, 2010 535i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Irvine, CA to Gilbert, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmanfiman View Post
OK, I read the whole thread, plus a few others.

I didn't see this directly answered/listed, if I missed it, then my apologies.

I'm sold on the 285/35/19 rear for the 437m.

I'm uncertain on the front whether to go 255 or 265 /35/19.

What is the diameter difference between the two?

Does anyone have any real world feed back between them?

My thought process is the 255 should keep a little better initial turn in bite, as well as look a little less squared off at the front. Not certain however if this will maintain the necessary diameter ratio front to rear.

feed back is appreciated.
Go with 265/35/19 if you are running 285/35/19 rears. This will match front and rear stagger and not cause DSC issues. I had 255/35/19 F and 285/35/19 rear and had occasional DSC interventions when driving normal speeds on some curved fwy onramps and offramps. These interventions completely went away when I repaced the fronts with 265/35/19s. Going 265/285 will also preserve the stock handling balance of the car.

Also, the 265s up front improved ride quality over the 255s and improved grip as well. As for the look, the 265s and the 285s will give the same slightly beefier look front and rear. I loved the 265/285 PS4S set up on my 437s and would have continued to buy PS4S in those sizes but ultimately upgraded to 20" rims/tires.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #1067
Dmanfiman
New Member
Dmanfiman's Avatar
5
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Fort Lauderdale

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Go with 265/35/19 if you are running 285/35/19 rears. This will match front and rear stagger and not cause DSC issues. I had 255/35/19 F and 285/35/19 rear and had occasional DSC interventions when driving normal speeds on some curved fwy onramps and offramps. These interventions completely went away when I repaced the fronts with 265/35/19s. Going 265/285 will also preserve the stock handling balance of the car.

Also, the 265s up front improved ride quality over the 255s and improved grip as well. As for the look, the 265s and the 285s will give the same slightly beefier look front and rear. I loved the 265/285 PS4S set up on my 437s and would have continued to buy PS4S in those sizes but ultimately upgraded to 20" rims/tires.
That's the kind of feedback I was looking/hoping for. Thank you sir!
__________________
Prior Vehicles: '18 Q50RS, '13 335i M-Sport, '04 330ci SMG, '04 GLI 1.8t
Appreciate 1
AlterZgo912.50

      11-26-2020, 03:48 AM   #1068
EezyBeezy
Private
34
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

x2

Looking to upsize to 265/35-19 front and 285/35-19 rear on 437s for daily driving. Improved overall drive quality is what i’m after since California roads aren’t so great.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 11:27 AM   #1069
AlterZgo
Major
913
Rep
1,363
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 6MT, 2010 535i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Irvine, CA to Gilbert, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EezyBeezy View Post
x2

Looking to upsize to 265/35-19 front and 285/35-19 rear on 437s for daily driving. Improved overall drive quality is what iím after since California roads arenít so great.
You'll definitely notice improved ride quality. Run them at the recommended 32 PSI and they will feel better than the stock 255/275 35/19 PSS. I recently got 20" rims/tires and switched to 265/295 30-20 PS4S and was surprised that the ride quality stayed very close to the 19" 35 series tires. This was even with the tires set at 34 psi vs. 32 psi on my 19s.

PS4S are amazing tires for both ride and handling IMO.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #1070
EezyBeezy
Private
34
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
You'll definitely notice improved ride quality. Run them at the recommended 32 PSI and they will feel better than the stock 255/275 35/19 PSS. I recently got 20" rims/tires and switched to 265/295 30-20 PS4S and was surprised that the ride quality stayed very close to the 19" 35 series tires. This was even with the tires set at 34 psi vs. 32 psi on my 19s.

PS4S are amazing tires for both ride and handling IMO.
Right on, definitely good to know!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:18 AM   #1071
MJ6
Second Lieutenant
MJ6's Avatar
United_States
351
Rep
234
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [0.00]
Perhaps I overlooked it while searching this thread and others, but is anyone running PS4S's with upgrade turbos?

If so, how do they hold up from the standpoint of straight line traction when you reach power levels around 600 - 700hp?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #1072
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
spool twice's Avatar
United_States
571
Rep
1,938
Posts

Drives: BMW M4cs
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa Bay, FL Area

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboss View Post
I might go this route next time I need to replace my PS4S. I love the increased traction of the PS4S, but I miss the responsiveness of the star spec PSS on the front.
This is a concern of mine, I went from PSS to PS4S on my last car and I enjoyed everything about the PSS more and actually felt it gripped better under all circumstances aside from wet surfaces.

I'm unsure of which direction to go now since I'm at 3/32nd and really am looking for the best tires. I may just get star-spec PSS again based on your feedback.
__________________
-Loe P.-
Prior: '02 S4 6spd / '04 M3 SMG / '04 S4 6spd / '07 E92 335i 6spd / '09 E90 M3 DCT
Sold:'14 Audi S5 DSG [ APR ECU/TCU | Pullies + basic bolt-on mods | 10.861@127.90mph ]
Current: '19 M4cs, '17 Jetta 1.4t 5spd
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #1073
Zomboss
Enlisted Member
Zomboss's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP MG/SO
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Emerald City

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
This is a concern of mine, I went from PSS to PS4S on my last car and I enjoyed everything about the PSS more and actually felt it gripped better under all circumstances aside from wet surfaces.

I'm unsure of which direction to go now since I'm at 3/32nd and really am looking for the best tires. I may just get star-spec PSS again based on your feedback.
Unfortunately, I canít tell you which is the better tire. It comes down to personal preference and what you value about the tires. For me, I really miss the steering response of the PSS* that I had from the factory. And thatís more important to me than the improved ride quality, grip, and stability of the PS4S. Iím trying to see if I can get the benefits of both tires by mixing PSS* on the front with PS4S on the rear.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #1074
Spiff7
Second Lieutenant
Spiff7's Avatar
97
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW F80 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
This is a concern of mine, I went from PSS to PS4S on my last car and I enjoyed everything about the PSS more and actually felt it gripped better under all circumstances aside from wet surfaces.

I'm unsure of which direction to go now since I'm at 3/32nd and really am looking for the best tires. I may just get star-spec PSS again based on your feedback.
Unfortunately, I can’t tell you which is the better tire. It comes down to personal preference and what you value about the tires. For me, I really miss the steering response of the PSS* that I had from the factory. And that’s more important to me than the improved ride quality, grip, and stability of the PS4S. I’m trying to see if I can get the benefits of both tires by mixing PSS* on the front with PS4S on the rear.
I've very interested to hear about this combo. I have toyed with this same idea.
__________________
2017 F30 340i x-drive PPSK
2014 F30 335i x-drive M-Package (retired)
2011 E92 335i x-drive M-Package (retired)
2008 E92 328xi (retired)
2001 E46 325xi (retired)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST