BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
2008 Porsche 997 TT 6MT vs M3 F80

Hi!

My neighbor let me drive his 2008 997TT 6MT yesterday. This car is a beast! There is a lot of lag comparing to F8x and you have to push on "high" rpm to use the power but OMFG I found that it was fun and it is way more brutal than my F80 in terms of accelerations! For sure you cannot compare them in termes of ergonomics, practicality, tech (iDrive FTW) and lag (BMW did an awesome job with F8x and F1x Ms) but if you don't need room and you want a beautiful, powerful, well executed and luxury 2 seaters, I believe you can seriously consider it. I don't spend a lot of time with the Porsche but for the price it's truly awesome (if you have the money to maintain it btw).

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
BlackCobra08
King Cobra
Rep
Drives: incoming GTS 4.0

I keep hearing how good the 6MT gearbox was in the 997 GT3 with a bolt action like click into each gear and one of the best manuals ever built. Does the 997 turbo use the same/similar gearbox with that feel?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
Hi!

My neighbor let me drive his 2008 997TT 6MT yesterday. This car is a beast! There is a lot of lag comparing to F8x and you have to push on "high" rpm to use the power but OMFG I found that it was fun and it is way more brutal than my F80 in terms of accelerations! For sure you cannot compare them in termes of ergonomics, practicality, tech (iDrive FTW) and lag (BMW did an awesome job with F8x and F1x Ms) but if you don't need room and you want a beautiful, powerful, well executed and luxury 2 seaters, I believe you can seriously consider it. I don't spend a lot of time with the Porsche but for the price it's truly awesome (if you have the money to maintain it btw).

unless this car was modified it should have felt fairly linear. the 997.1 TT had variable geometry vanes which gave it a flat peak torque curve from 1950 all the way to 5000rpm. also it has a back seat so its not actually a 2-seater although some would argue the back seats aren't for humans. lol

its a great car no doubt but from personal experience its not faster than an M4.
      02-04-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCobra08 View Post
I keep hearing how good the 6MT gearbox was in the 997 GT3 with a bolt action like click into each gear and one of the best manuals ever built. Does the 997 turbo use the same/similar gearbox with that feel?
no it did not use the same transmission from the GT3. The GT3 gearbox is one of the best out there. especially with the single mass flywheel on the RS. revs like a damn superbike.
      02-04-2015, 09:31 AM   #5
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCobra08 View Post
no it did not use the same transmission from the GT3. The GT3 gearbox is one of the best out there. especially with the single mass flywheel on the RS. revs like a damn superbike.
Porsche has easily he best manual on the market at any time.
Just as pdk is a notch or two above any other dual clutch out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste
Hi!

Bigger turbos always equate to more lag although there isn't a lot. Especially when you consider the 997 turbo has a much stronger top end and pulls harder in the Higher revs whereas the m3/4 fall flat at higher rpm. The 911 turbo is the benchmark of turbo cars. Can't think of a better executed turbo car out there.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy View Post
Porsche has easily he best manual on the market at any time.
Just as pdk is a notch or two above any other dual clutch out there.
Frankly, although the 997 GT3 gearbox was super from performance perspective, I always felt it was a little rubbery sometimes. The overall feel in terms of engagement was very positive and I never had a complaint. The 987 Cayman gearbox was buttery smooth with much less precision, but I could shift much faster in the Cayman.

Also, I don't agree about the PDK, thus far I seem to prefer the DCT. PDK does shift itself even in manual mode, and in auto mode it sometimes shifts in the most inappropriate places. It scared the heck out of me one time at the track right in the middle of a 1+G turn shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and everytime in that very specific corner for some reason.
Appreciate 0