Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-27-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
///MPE
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Anybody driven the new TT RS?

Anybody here driven one?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Tesla M3P

What would you like to know? I just traded my 2017 ZCP/DCT F80 for a 2018 TTRS. They are both different in every respect.

I need to make a write up on this.

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #3
///MPE
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberzus View Post
What would you like to know? I just traded my 2017 ZCP/DCT F80 for a 2018 TTRS. They are both different in every respect.

Hows The Drive, Transmission Differences, Any Understeer, Quickness Compared To M?, Any Regrets?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPE View Post
Hows The Drive, Transmission Differences, Any Understeer, Quickness Compared To M?, Any Regrets?

Not the best quality, but you get the idea. We were just messing around with the Go-Pros.

The F80 feels more "raw" and "race car-like", mostly due to the transmission differences between the two. The dual clutch in the TTRS feels more like a super fast "automatic" vs. the F80's DCT which feels like a proper race-derived automated-manual.

The F80, after one year and 7k miles started to creak and rattle really bad(CF roof). The Ride on the F80 is a LOT harsher. This is with BOTH cars being on 20's and both in "comfort" suspension mode.

Understeer? I don't track. On the street/canyon/twisties, the TTRS is fun to drive and feels more like a go-kart with NO noticeable understeer. Understeer will start to happen on the track, when you really PUSH it to the limit. If you're buying a car to have track fun.... better to go with the Cayman.

Quickness? Thing is a rocket! From a red-light you can forget the M3 or any other high performance car that isn't a GT-R or P100D. Thing rips(not even using LC)! The car weighs only 3300lbs and it shows, it PULLS for days. The F80 "felt" like it pulled harder because it did in fact make more torque. But this thing just picks up speed like nothing I've ever driven(also owned a Hellcat)

People are running 10.9s at 126-129MPH with just a Stage 1 tune.

I'll give the "fun factor" to the M3 though...

TTRS interior quality and design blows the F80 out of the water IMO, and that R8 steering wheel is just a joy to hold in your hands. Not to mention the virtual cockpit(amazing)!

Sound...O M G!! That 5 cylinder note is just pure bliss. Sounds like a mini V10 Viper, R8, Huracan, etc. My F80 had a Remus exhaust that popped, burbled and crackled like crazy. However, the I6 just doesn't hold a candle to that 5 banger.

I live in a colder climate, so for me the AWD was a huge factor. It's nice knowing I can "use" and actually DRIVE my performance car year round. Plus the TTRS is super unique and extremely rare at this point. I feel like everyone has either an M3 or M4 at this point.

No regrets just yet, I am a BMW fanboy and will miss not owning a BMW. Audi is just doing it better at the moment for my needs. AWD traction, crazy acceleration, amazing sound, lightweight, go-kart feel, crazy tuning potential.

RECENT PAST: 2016 F80 Austin Yellow (6MT) / 2017 F80 Atlantis Metallic (DCT-ZCP) / 2017 Challenger Hellcat 8A / 2017 Focus RS/ 2017 Shelby GT350 / 2018 Audi TTRS / 2018 Raptor Crew Cab / 2020 X3M Comp
Appreciate 11
///MPE217.00
DrtyJrze707.00
CanAutM321115.00
quattr0153.00
JTO245271.50
dmboone254972.00
Db750278.00
      10-28-2017, 06:32 AM   #5
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
I used to have an M4 and switched to a GT4 which I like more, but it's not a very practical car. My daily became an S3, but I missed the power of the M4. The TT RS is a lot closer to the M4 in terms of power, but it feels smaller as stated above. I really like the TT RS for its engine character, quality interior, electronics/virtual cockpit, and its ability to put its power down in all weather conditions. Audi did a great job.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
///MPE217.00
doberzus678.50
JTO245271.50
dmboone254972.00
      10-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #6
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

One of my buddies has a TTRS set for delivery in December I'm excited to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

What are the lease residuals for the TT RS and RS3?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
What are the lease residuals for the TT RS and RS3?
2018 TTRS 36/10K = 59% residual with a .00198 MF. Add 1% residual with AudiCare.

Last I’ve seen the RS3 has a 50% residual. So the cheaper, more common, heavier and slower RS3 leases roughly $100 per month MORE than the TTRS.

If back seats aren’t a concern and you can get your hands on a TTRS. That’s the one to go with.

I decided to finance this time around.

Last edited by doberzus; 10-28-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 04:02 PM   #9
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Quote:

The TTRS will understeer more than an M3/4 in stock form.

However, swapping a stiffer rear sway bar will dial it out.

Also, I am not sure if MSS Springs are making a spring kit for this generation TTRS, but if they do, that will dial it out as well.

I had the previous generation TTRS, and with just MSS Springs, and APR stage 1, it was an awesome car, San the clutch , which was the weak point.

This generation only gets the dual clutch , so that should not be an issue.

After having the M for 2 years now, I would go back to a TTRS any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It was a much more rewarding and fun experience.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #10
OnlySoMany
The White Devil
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia QV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
I used to have an M4 and switched to a GT4 which I like more, but it's not a very practical car. My daily became an S3, but I missed the power of the M4. The TT RS is a lot closer to the M4 in terms of power, but it feels smaller as stated above. I really like the TT RS for its engine character, quality interior, electronics/virtual cockpit, and its ability to put its power down in all weather conditions. Audi did a great job.
I looked all over the place for a GT4 when I was in the market. Ended up going with the Alfa (which I don't regret). That GT4 is a sweet car though. They also seem to be holding their value very well, if not going up in price.

2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport - Trofeo White Tri Coat - The Daily Driver
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
RMB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi TTRS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlySoMany View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
I looked all over the place for a GT4 when I was in the market. Ended up going with the Alfa (which I don't regret). That GT4 is a sweet car though. They also seem to be holding their value very well, if not going up in price.
Thank you. The Alfa is very impressive also. You can't go wrong with an M3/M4, Alfa, AMG, etc. All are fun cars and elevate the driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Not the best quality, but you get the idea. We were just messing around with the Go-Pros.

The F80 feels more "raw" and "race car-like", mostly due to the transmission differences between the two. The dual clutch in the TTRS feels more like a super fast "automatic" vs. the F80's DCT which feels like a proper race-derived automated-manual.

The F80, after one year and 7k miles started to creak and rattle really bad(CF roof). The Ride on the F80 is a LOT harsher. This is with BOTH cars being on 20's and both in "comfort" suspension mode.

Understeer? I don't track. On the street/canyon/twisties, the TTRS is fun to drive and feels more like a go-kart with NO noticeable understeer. Understeer will start to happen on the track, when you really PUSH it to the limit. If you're buying a car to have track fun.... better to go with the Cayman.

Quickness? Thing is a rocket! From a red-light you can forget the M3 or any other high performance car that isn't a GT-R or P100D. Thing rips(not even using LC)! The car weighs only 3300lbs and it shows, it PULLS for days. The F80 "felt" like it pulled harder because it did in fact make more torque. But this thing just picks up speed like nothing I've ever driven(also owned a Hellcat)

People are running 10.9s at 126-129MPH with just a Stage 1 tune.

I'll give the "fun factor" to the M3 though...

TTRS interior quality and design blows the F80 out of the water IMO, and that R8 steering wheel is just a joy to hold in your hands. Not to mention the virtual cockpit(amazing)!

Sound...O M G!! That 5 cylinder note is just pure bliss. Sounds like a mini V10 Viper, R8, Huracan, etc. My F80 had a Remus exhaust that popped, burbled and crackled like crazy. However, the I6 just doesn't hold a candle to that 5 banger.

I live in a colder climate, so for me the AWD was a huge factor. It's nice knowing I can "use" and actually DRIVE my performance car year round. Plus the TTRS is super unique and extremely rare at this point. I feel like everyone has either an M3 or M4 at this point.

No regrets just yet, I am a BMW fanboy and will miss not owning a BMW. Audi is just doing it better at the moment for my needs. AWD traction, crazy acceleration, amazing sound, lightweight, go-kart feel, crazy tuning potential.
I've had my RS about 2 weeks. very different cars but crazy fun. I will say, here in Chicago, we've had a week of 30/40 degree weather and damp roads and this can careless. just rips off the line. awesome fun in traffic, point and shoot, best co-cart ever. love the cabin. jumping back in my M4, it feels a little bigger but still just feels just right. M4 has a more comfortable cabin, its roomy and airey, but the RS wins by a hair for ride quality. not tracking the rs, not sure I'd want to but on the street, it is just awesome. I would say, a drop at 40-50mph, I like the pull of the m4. on the highway, its a toss up but the m4 wins for high speed driving but I'm also not pushing the rs yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Any updates from the current owners? How do you like the car?

I saw this car over the weekend and will probably pull a trigger on Nardo Gray with black optics, red calipers, design interior, technology package and sport exhaust. I want a custom order so will be 3-4months.

Stock 1/4 mile in mid-11s. With stage 1 tune we are in the mid-10s. With stage 2 should be a 10s car.

Current owners report some oil consumption, but nothing major.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
BMoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3MC, 2019 Audi TT RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by qba335i View Post

I saw this car over the weekend and will probably pull a trigger on Nardo Gray with black optics, red calipers, design interior, technology package and sport exhaust. I want a custom order so will be 3-4months.

Stock 1/4 mile in mid-11s. With stage 1 tune we are in the mid-10s. With stage 2 should be a 10s car.

I've got 5K miles on mine and love it! It's ECU tune time now. No real complaints at the moment other than then need to have a black wheel options.
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #15
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost34 View Post
I've had my RS about 2 weeks. very different cars but crazy fun. I will say, here in Chicago, we've had a week of 30/40 degree weather and damp roads and this can careless. just rips off the line. awesome fun in traffic, point and shoot, best co-cart ever. love the cabin. jumping back in my M4, it feels a little bigger but still just feels just right. M4 has a more comfortable cabin, its roomy and airey, but the RS wins by a hair for ride quality. not tracking the rs, not sure I'd want to but on the street, it is just awesome. I would say, a drop at 40-50mph, I like the pull of the m4. on the highway, its a toss up but the m4 wins for high speed driving but I'm also not pushing the rs yet.
Did you get the RS3 or TTRS? Yeah, the M3 for sure had the better pull. It was a roll monster. But if you drive mostly on the streets, backroads. Where it’s wet, cold, uneven, etc, etc. The Audi wins, oh and that sound!!

I felt like my Atlantis F80 got CRAZY attention and my Vegas Yellow TTRS maybe gets 50% of that. The F80 is a damn beautiful car. I had an exhaust, front lip, CF lip spoiler, CF diffuser, and a tint. TTRS is stock down to the tints.. for now.

I love the go-kart feel of the TTRS, the F80 didn’t feel huge by any means. Just bigger than I’d like. This TTRS is a damn rocket, though. From a light it’s just STUPID fast!! Even doing a 40-70 pull on the street is effortless.. on the street the TTRS would give the F80 a run for its money.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #16
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoney View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by qba335i View Post

I've got 5K miles on mine and love it! It's ECU tune time now. No real complaints at the moment other than then need to have a black wheel options.
Audi should be releasing some TTRS performance parts. They have black wheels in the catalog.

I was surprised how spacious this car is. I am over 6ft and 210lbs (athletic) and felt like there is a lot of room. My sales person attended some Audi Sport track event in Austin and was very positive on the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 04:52 PM   #17
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I would have purchased the TT RS if Audi hadn't taken their sweet a$$ time getting it stateside
Plus it can be had in several normal colors including red
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #18
ghost34
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Did you get the RS3 or TTRS? Yeah, the M3 for sure had the better pull. It was a roll monster. But if you drive mostly on the streets, backroads. Where it’s wet, cold, uneven, etc, etc. The Audi wins, oh and that sound!!

I felt like my Atlantis F80 got CRAZY attention and my Vegas Yellow TTRS maybe gets 50% of that. The F80 is a damn beautiful car. I had an exhaust, front lip, CF lip spoiler, CF diffuser, and a tint. TTRS is stock down to the tints.. for now.

I love the go-kart feel of the TTRS, the F80 didn’t feel huge by any means. Just bigger than I’d like. This TTRS is a damn rocket, though. From a light it’s just STUPID fast!! Even doing a 40-70 pull on the street is effortless.. on the street the TTRS would give the F80 a run for its money.
ha. sorry. TT RS. If we got a RS3 hatch in usa, it would have been RS3. My M4 is white with a bunch of carbon bits and it gets noticed. TT RS is black and I regret the color choice, it hides the lines and makes it look tiny. it hasn't got one look
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #19
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ha. sorry. TT RS. If we got a RS3 hatch in usa, it would have been RS3. My M4 is white with a bunch of carbon bits and it gets noticed. TT RS is black and I regret the color choice, it hides the lines and makes it look tiny. it hasn't got one look
They had a Mthyos Black here locally that was sold right under me. I was really desparate for one as they were non-existent to find here and the wait list to order was 5-6 months.

Glad it did sell, I went out of state and got Vegas Yellow with black optics. Love it! It gets looks but nowhere near the attention my Atlantis Metallic got. I had an Austin Yellow F80 and a Yellow Jacket Hellcat... I love my yellow’s!

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #20
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoney View Post
You thinking Unitronic or waiting on APR? I am waiting for the Burgertuning/BMS JB1. I emailed them and they just purchased their RS3 for development and they said they should have something come December.

I love the simple plug n play, plus no TD1 flags thrown at the dealer. Not risking it with this $30K 5 cylinder!

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #21
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
I am waiting for the Burgertuning/BMS JB1. I emailed them and they just purchased their RS3 for development and they said they should have something come December.

I love the simple plug n play, plus no TD1 flags thrown at the dealer. Not risking it with this $30K 5 cylinder!
Didn't know Terry was doing a piggy for these, but it might be the way to go. APR, Eurodyne, and Unitronic all have their tunes out for the new RS3/TTRS from what I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #22
doberzus
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Didn't know Terry was doing a piggy for these, but it might be the way to go. APR, Eurodyne, and Unitronic all have their tunes out for the new RS3/TTRS from what I can tell.
George is the guy who deals with the VW/Audi tunes for burger. Not heard of anything from Eurodyne and APR is still in development. Unitronic is the only ones who have a flash tune out now. I think IROZ also has some custom maps.

For me BMS has always been amazing. I will stick with them, personally.

Appreciate 0