Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

12-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #23
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
I've been looking at used e63 AMG wagons recently. It's the ultimate family mobile. Wife won't go for it and wants an SUV

Typical American/American Woman
My friend is thinking about selling his. 700hp and resonator delete
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:08 PM   #24
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
When the S8 Plus came out a few years ago, it was faster than the r8 v10 at the time, so I guess the V10 gets disqualified too? The big engine in a regular car will always be more economical than the big engine in a low volume sports car, sometimes even faster. Anything is relative. Just took out my v8 spyder yesterday, remembered how much fun it was, numbers be damned. Just some food for thought!
I had a Cobb modified n54 z4 for a couple of years and it's in the same 110mph trap speed class. I definitely enjoyed it with the top down in SoCal weather and casual canyon runs.

After a while I did get tired of the fact its styling was writing checks the engine power couldn't back up, so that's my bias showing through.

911 is super common and gets zero looks but I love that I have to think about whether full throttle in my modified turbo is safe/appropriate despite awd and wide cup 2 tires. I'll prioritize power over style any day, but you're right on, it's all about having fun and choosing the car that supports how you like to enjoy your drive
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50
      12-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #25
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
I'll start off by saying that I was lately I have had the bug of trying something other than M3's that i have owned over the past 12-15 years. The Audi V8 R8 essentially caught my attention because the 2008-2011's can now be had for 58k-75k depending on year and options. The V10's are was out of my budget. After seeing all the YouTube videos on how amazing the 1st Gen V8's with the gated manual transmission are, I was really looking forward to checking out one in person and how they drive. Finally got the opportunity to drive one for a really long extended drive through back roads and straight's. Revved it through the complete rev range in 1st and 2nd. Here were my observations:

2011 R8 V8
Black on Black
6 Speed Gated Tranny
20k miles

Quick summary: It honestly felt like an ordinary Audi in exotic clothing. To be truly considered an exotic, the R8 with the Lambo 5.2 V10 is the only way to go. With the S4 V8 I had found it to be severely lacking.

Maybe I went with extremely high expectations but to say I was underwhelmed would be a huge understatement.

Engine: Firstly it felt slow and I mean extremely slow. I was hoping to get that visceral feel from the engine as I revved it through the gears redlining in the first 2 but the car felt muted. Easy fix with an aftermarket exhaust but in comparing it to my E90 M3, this thing felt even slower and was lacking that visceral feel. So I can't say there was anything wrong with the engine but it didn't feel special either. Guess my expectations were way higher

Tranny: Not sure what the fuss is all about the gated transmission because honestly it didn't do anything for me. The gears were easy to change and the throws were fine but nothing special about the gated contraption. The clutch was really heavy and I mean really heavy compared to the ///M. Not sure if that's how they came or the car had an issue?

Interior: Very very ordinary again and felt dated. Some would say it's a 2011 so it would look old but it looked older than my last M3's interior and Audi's are known to have amazing interiors. The carbon package is definitely a must have if you are looking for the 1st gen R8. This one felt very very basic, the steering was skinny and not perforated. The suspension had only 1 mode, sport and non-sport, nothing else other than traction off.

Exterior: This is where the car shines. Absolutely amazing looking Truly amazing design and love how the rear of the car looks. This is where it looks like an exotic but unfortunately that's where being exotic ends as well.

Dealer offered me 44k for my car (2016 with 15k) and out the door for the R8 was 30k.

Here is what I'd like to say, you should always stay curious about cars you may be interested in and given the chance, definitely take them for a test drive because once you do that you will have renewed appreciation for what you drive (in most cases) I can confidently say that I would not even consider an EVEN trade for a 1st Gen V8 R8 and if I did do it, it would only be to sell it for profit and get a newer M3

So glad I did this. I love my car

Here are some pictures:
That dealer wanted to steal you at 44k for you car lol
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #26
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

That's at Tville? I might go drive it lol I didn't even know they had it in. I drive past the dealership every day.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 03:33 PM   #27
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO24 View Post
That's at Tville? I might go drive it lol I didn't even know they had it in. I drive past the dealership every day.
Yes. I want to hear your feedback.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 11:16 PM   #28
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Interesting read. Not surprised by the comments that it can be a little underwhelming. I recently picked up a 14 V8, and picked up a 320 m sport for a daily.

A couple items to keep in mind for me - first, I'm a sucker for high reving motors, exotic looking cars, and high pitched exhaust notes. 1\4 mile times and 0-60 aren't as important as driving experience.

So, yes, a supercharged Ford Edge could beat my R8 0 to 60 lol... but that's not what makes a car special to own / drive. Joking aside 4.1 isnt exactly slow.

Throttle Response: the throttle is super lazy stock, I added an adapter with 5 modes and it brought the car to life. I can adjust the sensitivity similar to an M car.

Exhaust: Stock the car is very underwhelming relative to the looks and engine potential. I added a Kline valved and its an absolute screamer at high rev's. If I had a $1 for every time I get a complement, somebody at a light asking "what kind of exhaust is that" I'd be rich ha ha

Drive: During my test drives I was a little underwhelmed with the drive. without the throttle adapter or exhaust note, the car was a bit ordinary relative to the looks.

During buying phase I was 100% set on a V10 but while it has more power than the V8 and is a more exotic powerplant, the sound was underwhelming compared to my 2 S85's I owned with e-race exhausts. I was at a dealer who happened to have an LCI 2014 V8 so figured what the heck. I was sold on the V8, maybe b/c the sound was different than anything else I have ever heard. Its unique with the right exhaust.

I also added a very nice, thick carbon fiber steering wheel for $1k. I could not stand the stock wheel. Too thin.

Interior is a gen behind. However its super high quality, at the level of an A8 or higher. All the carbon bits are a must have and the carbon wheel I added really helps to update it. It's not fair Audi didnt put some real sport seats in the car.

Suspension: mag ride take a little getting used to, and its meant to provide a luxury feel to track when on it. it does a good job of execution. However I would take a passive sport tuned suspension with adjustments as the mag can feel artificial at times. I did a few tail dragon drives, the R8 handles awesome in the twisties. The car can feel a little large at times (its not an elise) but the mid engine balance has zero body roll.

After getting the car setup how I like it now, I absolutely love it. Not once driving the car have I ever thought "I wish it had more power". Its the opposite. It has excellent, usable power, where I can actually take the engine up to 8500 rpm without putting myself at risk. It has a visceral feeling and sound at lower speeds. No, it will not be the fastest car at the drag strip but if you are looking for those bragging rights, the R8 V8 is not for you anyways.

And yes, hearing a 8k V8 screaming behind your head is a thrill (with the aftermarket exhaust). Along with the balance of a mid engine car. Its quite a driving experience. Has a Teutonic mechanical roar to it. Different than the S65 or Ferrari V8.

But I can take epic run to 8k over and over, the engine escalates in anger as it revs to a high pitch crescendo that is borderline ear piercing. Where my M2 and 15 M3 at high rev back drives, all you hear is gushing air through the windows. That's why I sold them, great for driving around town but they lose the epic high end fun when out for a drive. Which is why I will add a S65 or S85 to the garage down the road, those were exotic race powerplants.

I can understand why some folks would be disappointed by the R8, however you do need to mod a few key items. And a test drive wont do it. The ownership experience is a blast, never owning a super car type car before.

Its almost the inverse of the 430 I was going back and forth against. The F430 was exhilarating on the test drive, but I dont think it is as usable as the R8 (and higher TCO). Most owners let them decay in the garage since they're afraid to drive them. R8 a bit underwhelming on the test drive, but you start to appreciate it longer you own it. I paid $2900 for a 6 year aftermarket warranty... lol. Excellent reliability for a supercar. And it will cost less than an F80 M3 to own.

Nothing like opening the garage after being out of town a few days to have the fat rear of a black R8 waiting for you

I've had all the M cars, and a few nice 911's. However this is the first car I will keep forever and never sell. Its a special car. And it quite a nice value for $80k. Really nothing else like it in the market at this price point.

I'm not trying to be defensive, but offer balanced feedback. Yes, I'm certainly biased however I had a burning need for this type of car in my life

Now back to the regular tuned programming....
Attached Images

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS

Last edited by Damage Inc; 12-22-2018 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 4
AlterZgo1537.50
gatorfast4991.50
ntg442888.50
      01-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #29
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

^^^Heh, your review sounds an awful lot close to mine. Makes sense, since we both own the car .

I think the first gen R8 will stand the test of time. It's hard to make the price to performance argument when you have stock mustang GTs in the 11s now, but when multiple auto journalists are calling the gen 1 R8 a spiritual successor to the original Acura NSX, we know we have something special. Some people "get" it, most don't, and that's totally fine with me. Love this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 08:12 PM   #30
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

If the V8 in the R8 is same as in the older RS5 then they can be bumped up a good 50rwhp with a tune and exhaust. I know thats not going to break the mold but I guess would make one able to live with
      02-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #31
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted07Duramax View Post
If the V8 in the R8 is same as in the older RS5 then they can be bumped up a good 50rwhp with a tune and exhaust. I know thats not going to break the mold but I guess would make one able to live with
The RS5 V8 is a different engine, despite how similar they appear on paper.
The R8 4.2 got a mild tune/bump in 2012 with an increased redline to 8500, but you’re looking at another 30-40 whp at best with cat delete and tune. Really wasn’t worth the warranty claim denials if anything went wrong.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #32
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

The E9XM 6MT was actually notably faster up top (but those cars are slow down low).... I would like to see a E9XM DCT run the R8, probably walk it from a dig.

And, that F80 didn't walk the R8. That's called sprinting away. Way, way faster. I can see why the R8 feels slow compared to the F80 after seeing that.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4
Appreciate 0