Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-25-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

BM3 Stg 1 OTS VS M4 GTS clone side by side

Question to the clan....

So wanted to throw this out there……..
Has anyone played around with the Stage 1 OTS & the M4 GTS clone maps? I have been running the Stage 1 OTS for a while and was curious so uploaded the M4 GTS OTS clone and really like it. I know it is about 60% of the HP/TQ gains capable compared to the Stg 1 OTS but it is so smooth and the sound with the single mid-MPE is music. I am also running the GTS trans flash also just to note. One thing I find weird is the 1st gear to 2nd gear shift point while running the M4 GTS clone map is much higher than the Stg 1 map. Has anyone else noticed this?

I love the off throttle long medium burbles of the GTS and when it shifts under throttle the small blip sound is nice. The power is very smooth. But I struggle with the idea of having that much less HP and the odd 1st gear upshift. The HP thing is mainly a mental issue with having the car tuned but running such a low increase HP bump. But…….I really only run in the mountains and not on the local streets doing pulls and such so the throttle feels nice.

Any in-site from the experts? Opinions from others that have tried both? I have been staying with Stg 1 since I am all stock except charcoal filter removal and mid-pipe/MPE
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I felt the same way when i tried a linear map, the power delivery was so much smoother and more fun to drive. But it did not make as much power as the regular stage 1.

I kept using the linear map for a few weeks but eventually went back to the more powerful map.

It all comes down to how important is the additional power to you

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:10 AM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I felt the same way when i tried a linear map, the power delivery was so much smoother and more fun to drive. But it did not make as much power as the regular stage 1.

I kept using the linear map for a few weeks but eventually went back to the more powerful map.

It all comes down to how important is the additional power to you
I was wondering about boost by gear reduction to smooth Stg 1 out but I love the other aspects of the GTS map
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 12:08 PM   #4
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower_and_hounds View Post
I was wondering about boost by gear reduction to smooth Stg 1 out but I love the other aspects of the GTS map
Im thinking about going with the boost by gear reduction too for stage 1 93oct OTS. Maybe by 10% to smoothen the 2.5-4kRPM range. Hopefully PTF can release the the map change on the fly update so its easier to compare the difference... Maybe try 5%, 10% and 15% reduction.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 02:12 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I know what you mean... The GTS has that linear feel. The Stages all have a surge into the powerband. Since PTF doesn't offer boost reduction by RPM it doesn't work as you hope. You would have to see how you drive and hope to apply TQ Reduction by Gear for a similar outcome. Most guys just use 30/20/20 or 20/10/10 (1st/2nd/3rd) to calm the launching.