Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #45
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 03:20 PM   #46
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE_M3 View Post
I am one. Because this is the list of cars with M in their name

Marketing:
X5M
X6M
X4M
M6 GC
M235i
M135i

Marketing & Motorsport (latest generation is too heavy to be pure Motorsport IMHO)
M6
M5

Motorsport
M3
M4
1M

Have you seen how many badges there are on M Sport vehicles nowadays. Most of the M badges I see are for Marketing rather than Motorsport.
I would put the M6GC in the second category.

And M5 into the third, as it's VERY competent.

I wouldn't say the M6 is motorsport at all, we all know it needs that cocaine white inteeeeriah, and that it's straight up luggzury. #pkilla

The Cayman S seems very tempting, though. 70k for a stripper car vs. the same for an F80. Apples to oranges, but I don't need the rear seats...yet. And I can always keep my E90M sedan for more practical purposes.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #47
speeddeacon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE_M3 View Post
I am one. Because this is the list of cars with M in their name

Marketing:
X5M
X6M
X4M
M6 GC
M235i
M135i

Marketing & Motorsport (latest generation is too heavy to be pure Motorsport IMHO)
M6
M5

Motorsport
M3
M4
1M

Have you seen how many badges there are on M Sport vehicles nowadays. Most of the M badges I see are for Marketing rather than Motorsport.
Yeah, that brings up a question I have. What is the the deal with the M235i vs. upcoming M2? I assume the M235 isn't really an ///M car, but why the nomenclature?
      11-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #48
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
If you understand the context, this has nothing to do with beating its competitors but rather staying true to its motorsports heritage.

There is NO place for an suv to be classified as "motorsport". Id rather have a freaking raptor which will tear these suvs apart on the road and in extreme environments.

Thats what he means. And yes we can blame other companies by doing this first. Bmw has to compete and show and be in this segment to do so.

But then again you dont see any panamera / cayenne / hell even cayman GT3 versions.
Classified as "Motorsport"? Are you serious? What makes the M3 worthy to be classified as motorsport? Is it a race ready car? What class of racing is it spec'd out for lol.

It's a car made by the M division and so is the very fast X6M, M5, etc.

Blame other companies? For what, making really cool and fast SUVs? Why would we blame them? You don't think its cool that we have these awesome SUVs? Or is it just uncool to put an M badge on it?

You guys take M waaaaay too seriously. Your car is NOT a Motorsport car haha. Sorry to break it to you, man. None of the M cars are "Motorsport" cars. They are great cars, they perform well, but if you even remotely think that your M3 is so holy that its a Motorsport car and the X6M is just NOT, you need a realty check. They are Motorsport inspired just like the bigger, heavier cars, are motorsport inspired. Don't try to take that away and make M3/1M more special than it is and the X6M/M6 less special.

BMW M is BMW's performance car division. They take production cars and make them race inspired for people like me and you.

Please don't try to tell me I don't "UNDERSTAND" the context. The context is you guys think you have a "Motorsport" car or its more special than the other and want the exclusivity. You need to get off your high horse, it aint that serious and your car is not a racecar.

BMW M is solid as hell and calling it Marketing suggests it's hype and the cars don't do what they are designed to do.
I agree that many people take "M" as a brand too seriously, but you're also way off base with the idea that an M3 can't be a "motorsports" oriented car because it isn't "race ready" for professional racing leagues.

While the majority of M3 owners won't participate in motorsports with the car, many of us do--and it's a fantastic car for these events virtually out of the box (racing pads and brake fluid are all you'll need...until you catch the modding bug).

"Motorsports" isn't somehow restricted to the pros or even racing in general.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #49
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3
Quote:
Quote:
If you understand the context, this has nothing to do with beating its competitors but rather staying true to its motorsports heritage.

There is NO place for an suv to be classified as "motorsport". Id rather have a freaking raptor which will tear these suvs apart on the road and in extreme environments.

Thats what he means. And yes we can blame other companies by doing this first. Bmw has to compete and show and be in this segment to do so.

But then again you dont see any panamera / cayenne / hell even cayman GT3 versions.
Classified as "Motorsport"? Are you serious? What makes the M3 worthy to be classified as motorsport? Is it a race ready car? What class of racing is it spec'd out for lol.

It's a car made by the M division and so is the very fast X6M, M5, etc.

Blame other companies? For what, making really cool and fast SUVs? Why would we blame them? You don't think its cool that we have these awesome SUVs? Or is it just uncool to put an M badge on it?

You guys take M waaaaay too seriously. Your car is NOT a Motorsport car haha. Sorry to break it to you, man. None of the M cars are "Motorsport" cars. They are great cars, they perform well, but if you even remotely think that your M3 is so holy that its a Motorsport car and the X6M is just NOT, you need a realty check. They are Motorsport inspired just like the bigger, heavier cars, are motorsport inspired. Don't try to take that away and make M3/1M more special than it is and the X6M/M6 less special.

BMW M is BMW's performance car division. They take production cars and make them race inspired for people like me and you.

Please don't try to tell me I don't "UNDERSTAND" the context. The context is you guys think you have a "Motorsport" car or its more special than the other and want the exclusivity. You need to get off your high horse, it aint that serious and your car is not a racecar.

BMW M is solid as hell and calling it Marketing suggests it's hype and the cars don't do what they are designed to do.
I agree that many people take "M" as a brand too seriously, but you're also way off base with the idea that an M3 can't be a "motorsports" oriented car because it isn't "race ready" for professional racing leagues.

While the majority of M3 owners won't participate in motorsports with the car, many of us do--and it's a fantastic car for these events virtually out of the box (racing pads and brake fluid are all you'll need...until you catch the modding bug).

Well said.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #50
MJones3
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTX5 View Post
M = high peformace, i always think that way for some reason looking at this m4/m3 doesnt feel right for the money. for the same hp ill get a 550 or x5 50i and have more room, yes i know handling is different but come on guys what ever happen to the m logo " m is the most powerful letter in the world" if i think about a ///M i think about 500++ hp. Whatta u think m3/m4 has enough hp to earn the ///M badge or it should be 500hp? I know everyone is gonna tackle me on this one, but i wanna hear your side.
First time I've ever heard an argument like that.. I love it!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #51
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

BMW M was established as a racing department, i.e. to prepare racing cars.

Now it is a road car department, and I think it fits a broad range of market sectors extremely well by offering cars that are generally in the top 1-3 of their peer group.

BMW M's racing heritage is lovely and nostalgic and all that, but they aren't homologating race cars any more like they did with the 3.0 CSL and E30 and they certainly wouldn't sell many bare-bones stripped out road-legal motorsport cars. Too many others making niche products like that if you really want it.

I think it is great that M, like Porsche, put their expertise into fantastic sports cars as well as cars other than sports cars, e.g. SUV's.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #52
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper_M3 View Post

I never said an M3 CAN'T be a Motorsport car. Sure it can with the right amount of work. As a matter of fact, I see a ton of E36, E46, E30 NON-M cars in Motorsport use all the time. With the right amount of work, those cars were also able to be motorsport cars. The M3 is not produced as a motorsport car and it is not sold as motorsport ready. To claim the M3 is a motorsport car so it deserves a M badge but the M6 or X6M dosnt deserve the badge because it isnt motorsport ready is foolish.

And all this isnt about how well a car performs, but rather claiming that M stands for marketing when they obviously make cars that do as they are advertised and compete extremely well with their competitors out of the box. Meaning, it's not just marketing, the M department is delivering.

This entire discussion is about fanboys not wanting their little holy M sign being on a SUV or executive super sedan like the M5, no matter how well they perform.
      11-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #53
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep

I love my M3, but nowadays it seems to be more exclusive to have a BMW without any M branding on it.

It's like tattoos. You use to be a rebel if you had one, now you're a rebel by not getting one
      11-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #54
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
Because BMW M does not produce any performance cars and it's all hype. Because M products are all hype and marketing and do not live up to REAL performance cars like the 911, Corvette, C63, or RS5. Because M cars don't give their competitors a run for their money, never beating them in a lot of categories. Because BMW is not even in Motorsports or even winning races or coming back from a DTM series hiatus and sweeping Team, Driver, and Manufacturer Championships their first year back. Because it's all made up and the people that actually enjoy these cars, buy these cars, test these cars, race, tune, and follow these cars are all being deceived and... and... and its just "Marketing".

Seriously, who are you people?
People from the Marketing department?

Well spoken.

But sometimes //M stands for marketing(X5M, X6M ) imho...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #55
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Well said.
+1

I can do trackdays with an old Beetle if I want to, so why not with an E46/90 M3 which I did or with a 1M which I do...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #56
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I never said an M3 CAN'T be a Motorsport car. Sure it can with the right amount of work. As a matter of fact, I see a ton of E36, E46, E30 NON-M cars in Motorsport use all the time. With the right amount of work, those cars were also able to be motorsport cars. The M3 is not produced as a motorsport car and it is not sold as motorsport ready. To claim the M3 is a motorsport car so it deserves a M badge but the M6 or X6M dosnt deserve the badge because it isnt motorsport ready is foolish.

And all this isnt about how well a car performs, but rather claiming that M stands for marketing when they obviously make cars that do as they are advertised and compete extremely well with their competitors out of the box. Meaning, it's not just marketing, the M department is delivering.

This entire discussion is about fanboys not wanting their little holy M sign being on a SUV or executive super sedan like the M5, no matter how well they perform.
Damn youre just getting in on it against everyone i see. Lol.

M3 M5 only.....

I see a lot of non m and m e30/36/46 just like you but lets face it. Its much CHEAPER to do.

And guess what, all those you mentioned were all 3ers.

Thanks for supporting what many have just said whilst disproving us.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #57
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
+1

I can do trackdays with an old Beetle if I want to, so why not with an E46/90 M3 which I did or with a 1M which I do...

Cheers
Robin
I feel like a trackday in the original beetle would be tons of fun, seeing that it's RWD/rear engined. And lightweight.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #58
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
Quote:
Quote:

M3 M5 only.....

I see a lot of non m and m e30/36/46 just like you but lets face it. Its much CHEAPER to do.

This can't get any more lame. You win. I'm glad you comprehend so well. Based on your argument all the cars is mentioned should have come standard with M badges cus hey, they can eventually be used in Motorsports.

Whoever said going to an occasional track day makes your M3 a Motorsport car is delusional.

If you can not see that the M department really delivers with the M cars and it's not just marketing, I can't say anything to change your mind cus it's made up.

But the folks calling M marketing are just mad cus they're M3 isn't as exclusive anymore. If you're buying an M car for name and not what it brings to the table, then I can see how you would be pissed that your precious little M is on a lot more nowadays than before. I get it, you need the bragging rights.
      11-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #59
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

///M
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #60
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
Quote:
Quote:

M3 M5 only.....

This can't get any more lame. You win. I'm glad you comprehend so well. Based on your argument all the cars is mentioned should have come standard with M badges cus hey, they can eventually be used in Motorsports.

Whoever said going to an occasional track day makes your M3 a Motorsport car is delusional.

If you can not see that the M department really delivers with the M cars and it's not just marketing, I can't say anything to change your mind cus it's made up.

But the folks calling M marketing are just mad cus they're M3 isn't as exclusive anymore. If you're buying an M car for name and not what it brings to the table, then I can see how you would be pissed that your precious little M is on a lot more nowadays than before. I get it, you need the bragging rights.
Never said anything about "not delivering" with all these models. In fact, i said they are all great cars. Maybe you didnt read that part because you are so mad at our responses? (Emotional attachment to the intardnet/interwebs at play here folks lol.)

I drive an m3 because i think its a badass car and have always wanted one ever since as a 7 year old. My opinion on this marketing crap has absolutely nothing to do with watering down the m3s and the m5s of the m lineup. It has to do with putting m badges on every single damn thing that comes out at bmw. This is not what it did before but business is business. Audi does it, merc does it. Whats next an m7?! Im sure it will deliver. Im sure it will be a great car. But you know where this is going.

You cant say anything about comprehension to someone when yours isnt that great at all neither.

I dont even know where this oh my m3 is not as exclusive and im so pissed off ranting bullshit comes from? When the fuck did i ever say that? Get the fuck off the crack.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #61
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Never said anything about "not delivering" with all these models. In fact, i said they are all great cars. Maybe you didnt read that part because you are so mad at our responses? (Emotional attachment to the intardnet/interwebs at play here folks lol.)

I drive an m3 because i think its a badass car and have always wanted one ever since as a 7 year old. My opinion on this marketing crap has absolutely nothing to do with watering down the m3s and the m5s of the m lineup. It has to do with putting m badges on every single damn thing that comes out at bmw. This is not what it did before but business is business. Audi does it, merc does it. Whats next an m7?! Im sure it will deliver. Im sure it will be a great car. But you know where this is going.

You cant say anything about comprehension to someone when yours isnt that great at all neither.

I dont even know where this oh my m3 is not as exclusive and im so pissed off ranting bullshit comes from? When the fuck did i ever say that? Get the fuck off the crack.

It's unreal how much that M does for your ego. Enjoy it while it lasts because when they make an M7, your M3 may be a little less special.

And please stop your spoiled little girl rant. k tnx bye
      11-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #62
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Edit: let me put to this easy for you since you STILL dont understand.

M badges on everything means every non m car with more m badges than any other m car (including your beloved x6m and a hypothetical m7 which you would oh so love just because its a 7 made by m) like a 128 m sport, 328 m sport, x1 (?!) m sport, blah blah m sport.

No one on here is ranting besides you. Take a look and read everyones posts. We're just giving our opinions while you are ranting and whining like a little school girl.

Are you serious?

What ego are you talking about? I was just responding to your posts and since you are coming at me sideways, i finally got fed up with your bullshit because A. I never said please stop making these cars because my m3 is becoming insignificant and B. I never said i am nor is my car better than all others, yet your argument back at me is that i feel that way.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #63
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep

Quote:

Edit: let me put to this easy for you since you STILL dont understand.

M badges on everything means every non m car with more m badges than any other m car (including your beloved x6m and a hypothetical m7 which you would oh so love just because its a 7 made by m) like a 128 m sport, 328 m sport, x1 (?!) m sport, blah blah m sport.

No one on here is ranting besides you. Take a look and read everyones posts. We're just giving our opinions while you are ranting and whining like a little school girl.

Are you serious?

What ego are you talking about? I was just responding to your posts and since you are coming at me sideways, i finally got fed up with your bullshit because A. I never said please stop making these cars because my m3 is becoming insignificant and B. I never said i am nor is my car better than all others, yet your argument back at me is that i feel that way.

+1 this.

The whoring of M has gotten to a point where its ridiculous. I buy M for the perfect car, the perfect bespoke engine, not some pleb soccer mom car with a bodykit and stickers. M Sport is slightly pushing it, but at leats it provides a nice suspension upgrade. M Perf is just whoring - whiteline taillights and decals don't provide Motorsport.

The M7 will be great, I'm sure. The X5M will be wonderful.

But the Motorsport is gone. The M has been far too widely available. The 128i M Sport should never exist. The "M Suspension" should be standard or a Sport Package, but there is no Motorsport in it. The X5M, X6M, M7, they aren't Motorsport. A soccer-mom-mobile with M badges is the last thing I want.

I don't honestly mind more M models, but it's gotten too far.

Also, we don't need to inflate a soccer mom's ego further with the X1M...can't have a car pushing 4 minutes on the 'ring can we?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #64
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

And what was the OP's question again

Oh, yes. All M cars should have over 500hp and room for at least 5. Since the F8x doesn't meet those criterias, M division is loosing it...

Now I remember that the M3 always has been about 500+ hp and a large interior, like a 7-series
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #65
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
And what was the OP's question again

Oh, yes. All M cars should have over 500hp and room for at least 5. Since the F8x doesn't meet those criterias, M division is loosing it...

Now I remember that the M3 always has been about 500+ hp and a large interior, like a 7-series
Oh yes, I remember those days.

Back when I was a kid, my dad had the ///Minivan. Yes I remember it now, the glorious S650B4000, providing a crazy 4140 horsepower. It was utmost luxury, yet such a great track toy.

Wait, who am I deceiving?

I want a 250hp, 2000lb sportscar. Ain't old enough for kids yet.

Last edited by turbolag; 11-03-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #66
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
Oh yes, I remember those days.

Back when I was a kid, my dad had the ///Minivan. Yes I remember it now, the glorious S650B4000, providing a crazy 4140 horsepower. It was utmost luxury, yet such a great track toy.

Wait, who am I deceiving?

I want a 250hp, 200lb sportscar. Ain't old enough for kids yet.
Exactly
Appreciate 0