Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-16-2021, 08:56 AM   #23
Msm1984
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_Greg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
In a discussion that I've had with Sales@Kratos it's more clear that adding top lube to E85 in hopes of "injectors not sticking" is likely pointless. Their statement is that running E85 on stock fueling with big turbos requires the tune to push the HPFP Target very high to supply enough fuel, and injectors subjected to this very high pressure will fail much faster. They made it clear that failure is not related to extended duty cycles (Halim runs Kratos+gas at high injector duty cycle but not x-high HPFP pressure) or internal corrosion (they spoke with Bosch engineers). Adding PI to DI would allow for not maxing out the HPFP Target.
ey have done the
I can vouch with jimmy. I too just ran into possible injector problems. Possible stuck or leaky injector. Always used Lucas stabilizer on every tank of e85. Car only ran full E for 2k miles..still trying to figure it out. Car is idling rough but drives perfect fine. Which injector do you guys recommend for a 2017? For some reason realoem.com with my vin shows 2 different part numbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_Greg View Post
Quote:
In a discussion that I've had with Sales@Kratos it's more clear that adding top lube to E85 in hopes of "injectors not sticking" is likely pointless. Their statement is that running E85 on stock fueling with big turbos requires the tune to push the HPFP Target very high to supply enough fuel, and injectors subjected to this very high pressure will fail much faster. They made it clear that failure is not related to extended duty cycles (Halim runs Kratos+gas at high injector duty cycle but not x-high HPFP pressure) or internal corrosion (they spoke with Bosch engineers). Adding PI to DI would allow for not maxing out the HPFP Target.
ey have done the
I can vouch with jimmy. I too just ran into possible injector problems. Possible stuck or leaky injector. Always used Lucas stabilizer on every tank of e85. Car only ran full E for 2k miles..still trying to figure it out. Car is idling rough but drives perfect fine. Which injector do you guys recommend for a 2017? For some reason realoem.com with my vin shows 2 different part numbers

It's a pain in the ass because then u have to find out which injector is causing the issue which takes forever unless you just swap them all out.
17 M4 ZCP
18 M4 ZCP ( Current )
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #24
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Your spark plug condition should tell you if an injector is squirting too much. I've never heard of the S55 getting clogged injectors (too little fuel), just stuck ones (too much).
      01-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #25
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Your spark plug condition should tell you if an injector is squirting too much. I've never heard of the S55 getting clogged injectors (too little fuel), just stuck ones (too much).
Like 3 out of the 6 were clogged on mine. None were pouring fuel. #1 was stuck shut.

After cleaning they are all firing perfectly and got a grade of excellent.

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #26
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msm1984 View Post
How are the bosch injectors on e85? Like 600$ for a set of 6
FCP euro has them cheap. Like 400 or so. Original BMW were like 600.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 01:32 PM   #27
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
You see my question? Would m5 injectors be a good route?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 03:56 PM   #28
F80_Greg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
@F80_Greg if an injector sticks then you're hosed and the cylinder partially fills with fuel. I doubt you have a dirty/clogged injector since you ran 85% alcohol through it for 2K miles. If it was stuck you'd be blowing clouds of smoke. You would know for sure by pulling plugs, one would be wet or stink of fuel.

If you do need an injector check FCP Euro, they have OEM ($$$) and Bosch ($). I used one Bosch and it worked fine.
Thanks again! I checked and the upstream are only oem no Bosch lol about 250 each. But if that's what's needed then i will get it
      01-16-2021, 04:17 PM   #29
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Quote:
You see my question? Would m5 injectors be a good route?
I asked Kratos which injectors but they're hush-hush until they finish their testing. They said we could ask Halim. Either way you probably need a custom tune or you'll overdo the fueling.
      01-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #30
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post
Quote:
Like 3 out of the 6 were clogged on mine. None were pouring fuel. #1 was stuck shut.

Thanks Papa! Now we know. What fuel were you using when you clogged?
      01-16-2021, 06:47 PM   #31
Msm1984
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you were to take out ur injectors if you thought one had an issue, how could you physically tell if one is stuck open by looking at it?
17 M4 ZCP
18 M4 ZCP ( Current )
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #32
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msm1984 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you were to take out ur injectors if you thought one had an issue, how could you physically tell if one is stuck open by looking at it?
Put your lips on the threaded end and make a little pressure. A stuck one bleeds air. I put a squirt of rubbing alcohol in there and it came out the tip. A good injector should stay shut until triggered electrically to open.
      01-16-2021, 09:21 PM   #33
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was on E85 for few weeks straight I'm sure the stock injectors weren't great I think running the tank low is not good it might be sucking crud.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 10:31 PM   #34
Msm1984
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was on E85 for few weeks straight I'm sure the stock injectors weren't great I think running the tank low is not good it might be sucking crud.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When mine got stuck open i was driving really hard low gas. I will never again go to the 0 miles till empty recommendation either. 15miles to empty is fine just drive for a bit before going into boost
17 M4 ZCP
18 M4 ZCP ( Current )
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 06:00 AM   #35
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't be concerned about picking up tank debris and running down to — — since the LPFP has prefilter and the HPFPs have a fine filter inside. I read that here somewhere but haven't taken those apart yet to see.
      01-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #36
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Wouldn’t it be a safe assumption running PI would encounter overworking the injectors since you are splitting the workload up? Haven’t ran into too many people having injector issues in PI. Seems to be more those that run meth to run full e?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 07:42 AM   #37
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydo View Post
Wouldn't it be a safe assumption running PI would encounter overworking the injectors since you are splitting the workload up? Haven't ran into too many people having injector issues in PI. Seems to be more those that run meth to run full e?
If you run PI with E85 then it can supply half the fuel. This way the DI side doesn't need to be pushed to its limits, and possibly run at the safe pressures used for gasoline.

If you didn't have PI and used meth for extra fueling the meth bungs can't supply enough fuel for half, so DI is still in overdrive. If adding meth as fuel consider 6x port spray nozzles to get even distribution. When guys use bung meth for extra fueling they risk uneven distribution (boom).
      01-19-2021, 07:58 AM   #38
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
If you run PI with E85 then it can supply half the fuel. This way the DI side doesn't need to be pushed to its limits, and possibly run at the safe pressures used for gasoline.

If you didn't have PI and used meth for extra fueling the meth bungs can't supply enough fuel for half, so DI is still in overdrive. If adding meth as fuel consider 6x port spray nozzles to get even distribution. When guys use bung meth for extra fueling they risk uneven distribution (boom).
I’m on PI so just wanted to confirm my thoughts on that because in theory you are splitting the job and not running at max. Main reason was to make sure I dont Come across the uneven distribution with meth. Had a friend pop a motor with that issue. So far haven’t been able to turn it up. Have a knock going on at higher RPMs so Paul thinks it the e85 so I’m going to try c85 this weekend to rule that out. I tested it and the pump e85 was right on the money but we will see. I did replace the spark plugs at same time so maybe that. Scratching my head on this one. Didn’t knock on e50 before the pi install so not sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:05 AM   #39
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

This thread made me do some more digging for all the Ethanol Lubricants out there. I came across Red Line Alcohol Fuel Lubricant but can't seem to find any info on it. Red Line makes a solid line of products across the board so I'm curious as to how this compares to the other Ethanol Conditioners/Lubricants out there. It also states on their website for this lubricant to not be used on any vehicle with catalytic converters. I looked at their Product Data sheet to see why that would be the case but they simply don't state why their Alcohol Lubricant should not be used on a car with cats. Anybody here have experiences with this lubricant?
previous
'08 E90 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #40
mdma-zn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBobby Jr View Post
This thread made me do some more digging for all the Ethanol Lubricants out there. I came across Red Line Alcohol Fuel Lubricant but can't seem to find any info on it. Red Line makes a solid line of products across the board so I'm curious as to how this compares to the other Ethanol Conditioners/Lubricants out there. It also states on their website for this lubricant to not be used on any vehicle with catalytic converters. I looked at their Product Data sheet to see why that would be the case but they simply don't state why their Alcohol Lubricant should not be used on a car with cats. Anybody here have experiences with this lubricant?
The Redline active ingredient is a phosphate which could lead to deactivation of your catalytic converter.
I use PowerPlus as my lubricant and it works well:
https://www.powerpluslubricants.com/store/c6/toplubes
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:35 PM   #41
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdma-zn View Post
The Redline active ingredient is a phosphate which could lead to deactivation of your catalytic converter.
Can you smell anything from those scented lubricants?
previous
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:39 PM   #42
mdma-zn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBobby Jr View Post
Can you smell anything from those scented lubricants?
Off course.
I prefer and use only unscented though...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:46 PM   #43
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Off course.
I prefer and use only unscented though...
I'll look more into this lubricant and see if anybody else has experience with this on other platforms like the R35, C6/7, etc.
previous
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:47 PM   #44
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Just stick with Lucas. They are the most popular E85 conditioner.