Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

08-07-2023, 05:28 PM   #1
F82ish
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2001 BMW Z3  [9.25]
2018 BMW M4 Base  [10.00]
18" stock wheel gap

So first off I don’t know jack about fitment or offsets or any of that; please excuse any mistakes in my questions.

I want to close up the wheel gaps on my m4. I have the stock style 513 18x9/ 18x10 wheels. I have a pretty big gap vertically between the top of the tire and the fender, as well as a decent gap from the wheel to the outside of the wheel well. Here’s what I’ve found so far, and what I need help on:

Springs or full coil overs: Emmanuele springs are supposed to be the bee’s knees for height lowering from what I’ve read. There are many posts where people love these. Is there another set that’s more comfortable or better quality, or are the comfort/ quality levels on the EMD springs good enough? Has anybody tracked/ raced on them?

Spacers: for years I’ve been told to avoid spacers, but I’ve recently seen track/drift csrs with spacers and they encounter 0 issues, so I’m assuming that the brand/ material make a big impact on the overall durability of the spacer.
  • What brand should I look into?
  • What size is ideal for filling out the wheel well without rubbing on my setup?
  • Do I need to get an alignment after installing spacers? Any recommended camber/toe for grip?

Wheels:
  • If I change the wheels and go wider, can I play with the offset to fill the wheel well gap and avoid using spacers?
  • Will changing the offset put higher stress on any parts?

Thanks so much and please if anyone has experience on good fitment with 18” style 513 please chime in. Cheers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 05:26 AM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Congrats on the new car.

513M are great wheels in that they are lightweight and strong for an OEM wheel. There's something to be said about a base F8x on these wheels.

If you use the search function, you will find a 60-page thread on wheel spacer and there's also a thread just for 18" rims where you will find info on fitment and what people run.

EMD springs belong in the bin. Just because many people run them (or used to run them) doesn't mean they're quality at all.

And the vast majority of lowering springs are an aesthetic rather than performance modification anyway. If our cars didn't have big wheel gaps, nobody would be even considering springs in the first place. You're putting extra stress on the OE dampers by installing different springs. You might feel that either in 500 miles or 5,000 miles. Ask yourself if the lack of wheel gap is worth the trade off in handling.

These cars are easily ruined by modifying for the sake of modifying. Contrary to what some others think, stock suspension is good, ime. It's all a question of you win some, you lose some and you need to know for yourself why you want to modify your car. Of course, there are ways to do it properly and not lose much or even improve handling whilst also improving the looks as well.

About wheel spacers, read here https://suspensionsecrets.co.uk/why-...heels-spacers/