Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #1
double_R
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F80 M3 CS

Sachs Performance Coilovers

Hi all, since I wasn't able to find any info on this suspension here, I wanted to share with you the specs and pictures of my just received kit of the Sachs coilovers for our cars. I purchased this kit directly from ZF Sachs out of Germany since there were no vendors here.

We all know they have a great reputation and provide dampers for many OEM applications, Formula 1, MotoGP, Super-GT and other forms of motorsport.

Specs
-Monotube shocks / upside down
-Front spring is progressive, Rear is linear
-Uses OEM top mounts
-Front axle spring rate: 48 N/mm
-Rear axle spring rate: 120 N/mm
-Axle load front axle to: 1050kg
-Axle load rear axle to: 1250kg
-Lowering from 25mm to 50mm
-Single adjustment for both rebound and compression located on the bottom of the shock for ease of adjustability
-For cars without EDC

All parts are made in-house with the exception of the dust boots, they're provided by H&R.

While the spring rates are not very aggressive, I feel this could make a good setup for street duty and occasional HPDE use. I've had MCS 2-way remote reservoirs with much stiffer springs on my e46 m3 so i'm quite aware of what a higher end damper is capable of and i'm not expecting these to perform on par with those. But with these priced very reasonable at $2100, it was an easy decision.
Appreciate 3
      12-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
phoenx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F80 M3, Tacoma, GT4 RS

Great price and looks like a solid kit. In for reviews!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
BMW Fx
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 2015

Hello, here some pictures from my 2015 M3 with the brand new ZF Sachs Performance Coilovers.

Appreciate 1
      12-11-2016, 03:19 PM   #4
Maxis
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F83

Nice kit, the pictures look amazing needless to say, i'd love to get some more feedback on "these" coilovers.
      12-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
double_R
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenx View Post
Great price and looks like a solid kit. In for reviews!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxis View Post
Nice kit, the pictures look amazing needless to say, i'd love to get some more feedback on "these" coilovers.
Yeah the quality speaks for itself. Unfortunately I won't be installing these until next month
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #6
double_R
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fx View Post
Hello, here some pictures from my 2015 M3 with the brand new ZF Sachs Performance Coilovers.
Very nice, how do you like them in the short time you've had them on the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 03:11 AM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_R View Post
Hi all, since I wasn't able to find any info on this suspension here, I wanted to share with you the specs and pictures of my just received kit of the Sachs coilovers for our cars. I purchased this kit directly from ZF Sachs out of Germany since there were no vendors here.

We all know they have a great reputation and provide dampers for many OEM applications, Formula 1, MotoGP, Super-GT and other forms of motorsport.

Specs
-Monotube shocks / upside down
-Front spring is progressive, Rear is linear
-Uses OEM top mounts
-Front axle spring rate: 48 N/mm
-Rear axle spring rate: 120 N/mm
-Axle load front axle to: 1050kg
-Axle load rear axle to: 1250kg
-Lowering from 25mm to 50mm
-Single adjustment for both rebound and compression located on the bottom of the shock for ease of adjustability
-For cars without EDC

All parts are made in-house with the exception of the dust boots, they're provided by H&R.

While the spring rates are not very aggressive, I feel this could make a good setup for street duty and occasional HPDE use. I've had MCS 2-way remote reservoirs with much stiffer springs on my e46 m3 so i'm quite aware of what a higher end damper is capable of and i'm not expecting these to perform on par with those. But with these priced very reasonable at $2100, it was an easy decision.
Quote:
Added to the Springs/Coilover Master List. Any more information on this kit would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
BMW Fx
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 2015

Hello here some more information about the ZF Sachs Performance Kit. The coilovers has been in the car for about 2 months. The ride is very good and very quiet. Before i had KW V3 in the M3 and the rolling noise with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport was too loud. The KW springs in the rear of the car have not enough damping to the body. Sachs Performance use the original BMW rubber so the springs make no noise into the body. For me it is the best Coilovers if you drive the M3 daily on the road. Here some more pictures of the car and a comparison Sachs Performance vs. KW V3.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #9
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Hello here some more information about the ZF Sachs Performance Kit. The coilovers has been in the car for about 2 months. The ride is very good and very quiet. Before i had KW V3 in the M3 and the rolling noise with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport was too loud. The KW springs in the rear of the car have not enough damping to the body. Sachs Performance use the original BMW rubber so the springs make no noise into the body. For me it is the best Coilovers if you drive the M3 daily on the road. Here some more pictures of the car and a comparison Sachs Performance vs. KW V3.
Thank you for your thoughts and detailed pics. I do love the inverted tube design. And the adjustment knobs look like they would be very easy to adjust; very well thought out. The drop also looks like it hits the sweet spot with the perches close to the middle.

This seems like a solid alternative to the KW V3, Bilstein PSS10, and Ohlin RT. I hope more people will jump on this kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #10
double_R
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
Added to the Springs/Coilover Master List. Any more information on this kit would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Quote:
Good to know you preferred this over the KW.

Quote:
Thank you for your thoughts and detailed pics. I do love the inverted tube design. And the adjustment knobs look like they would be very easy to adjust; very well thought out. The drop also looks like it hits the sweet spot with the perches close to the middle.

This seems like a solid alternative to the KW V3, Bilstein PSS10, and Ohlin RT. I hope more people will jump on this kit.
I sure hope so too given the price and quality. I believe it was released only this past October so its very new.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #11
specterbmw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Exo- Just from your experience what do you think about the spring rates they are using.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #12
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterbmw View Post
Exo- Just from your experience what do you think about the spring rates they are using.
IMO, the front is softer than I'd like for how much it can lower the car, but the number that OP posted doesn't tell the whole story. Most likely the 48N/mm is the starting rate of the progressive spring. When compressed and extended, the spring rate will change. It's hard to judge a progressive spring by it's spring rate.

The rear looks to be a linear spring that seems fine at 120N/mm; nothing out of the ordinary.

The rates listed (48 N/mm and 120 N/mm) comes out to about 275 lb/in (progressive) Front and 685 lb/in Rear.

As long as the shocks are tuned correctly for the rates, this coilover should yield a pretty comfortable ride for DD.

Just for reference, OEM rates are 185 lb/in Front, 575 lb/in Rear.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 08:17 PM   #13
specterbmw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
IMO, the front is softer than I'd like for how much it can lower the car, but the number that OP posted doesn't tell the whole story. Most likely the 48N/mm is the starting rate of the progressive spring. When compressed and extended, the spring rate will change. It's hard to judge a progressive spring by it's spring rate.

The rear looks to be a linear spring that seems fine at 120N/mm; nothing out of the ordinary.

The rates listed (48 N/mm and 120 N/mm) comes out to about 275 lb/in (progressive) Front and 685 lb/in Rear.

As long as the shocks are tuned correctly for the rates, this coilover should yield a pretty comfortable ride for DD.

Just for reference, OEM rates are 185 lb/in Front, 575 lb/in Rear.
Thanks EXO your knowledge and input is always appreciated at the forum.

Good price to, might pick up a set.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #14
ssn666
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6MT

Rear Damper Bolt not really M12

I am preparing to install Sachs coilovers and ordered all new hardware. The rear damper bolt is an M12x125-10-ZNS3 (BMW PN 07-11-9-905-610). This bolt diameter is 0.430" whereas a "normal" M12 is ~0.4724". The hole size for a "close" fit M12 bolt is a minimum of 13mm (0.5118") and a maximum of 13.18mm (0.5189"). The Sachs rear damper hole is 13.081mm. It appears that the BMW m12 bolt is not really an M12 bolt. Given that it is closer to an M11 size (rare), the fit will be too loose, result in damper play, noise and premature wear. I saw no comments on this in the Sachs postings. I am planning on calling Sachs, but wondered if anyone else has come across with this.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 03:57 AM   #15
E92inSG
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Anyone else have any feedback on this? I'm about to order a set for 90% street duty
      07-24-2022, 08:28 PM   #16
sergzz
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inSG View Post
Anyone else have any feedback on this? I'm about to order a set for 90% street duty
Did you end up getting these? Would be interested in some feedback.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 09:01 PM   #17
E92inSG
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergzz View Post
Did you end up getting these? Would be interested in some feedback.
I did not, but a friend did order and installed on his F83. He's very happy with it despite losing EDC, lowers nicely and very comfortable.

For me I decided to go with KW CS2 instead for a more track oriented setup.