R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-19-2020, 08:21 PM   #45
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

From what I am seeing most of the aluminum hoods do not fit perfectly they all seem to dip down in the middle where the hood meets the grilles. Take a look at the other thread with the guy selling the white one. It's really noticable there.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:56 PM   #46
Don_MPoor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Yazmin Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_MPoor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrile View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrile View Post
Quote:
Here's my aluminum gts hood, fitted to my YMB m4. The fitting is 97% to perfection, I was told by the shop that they have to make an adjustment to fit it well.

I also notice that there are unnecessary holes underneath and I am not sure what the heck are those for. At the end of the day, I can live with the imperfection, and I don't want to pay a lot for the hood. I decided to use the extra cash for front air intercooler upgrade and exhaust. That just me.
did you order from suveer?

Yes I got it from suveer. Someone suggested from this forum, thanks! It took 2 months of waiting but it's worth it.
I'm glad it's fits so well , can u you point out which parts the 3% is lacking in issue?
It was on the left side fender. Adjustment was needed to match the alignment and gap.
Any major body panel replacement will require some type of adjustment for proper fit during initial installation. They are rarely plug-n-play when it comes to getting body gaps correct, etc. The two primary factors that would determine proper fitment would be construction/build quality of the hood and the skill of the installer.

Even in the hands of the most skilled installer/body shop, true crappy build quality will always show. So the slight adjustment your body shop needed to make is not necessarily a bad thing. I think the real question you should ask is the opinion of your body shop. Based on your shop's inspection of the hood prior to install, and how much work it took to prep, paint, and install it (especially when compared to an OEM hood), would be great insight into the quality and value of this hood option.
Preparation took the guy at least a day. Overall, 5 days to prep, paint and installation. There was a comment made from the body shop that the material is softer and lighter than oem hood. And I expect that for sure before hand since it's aluminum and from China.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #47
Don_MPoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post
Quote:
Here's my aluminum gts hood, fitted to my YMB m4. The fitting is 97% to perfection, I was told by the shop that they have to make an adjustment to fit it well.

I also notice that there are unnecessary holes underneath and I am not sure what the heck are those for. At the end of the day, I can live with the imperfection, and I don't want to pay a lot for the hood. I decided to use the extra cash for front air intercooler upgrade and exhaust. That's just me.
Can you post more pics? Debated doing this for awhile but I'm too particular about paint . it looks great fit but the paint seems off shade a bit

Could just be the picture or light, looks great
Sure here's another one. Maybe the shade of light or my car is so dirty. Lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 07:16 PM   #48
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Preparation took the guy at least a day. Overall, 5 days to prep, paint and installation. There was a comment made from the body shop that the material is softer and lighter than oem hood. And I expect that for sure before hand since it's aluminum and from China.
So I take it that is a thumbs up on this replica hood from both you the customer and the body shop..?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #49
Don_MPoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
So I take it that is a thumbs up on this replica hood from both you the customer and the body shop..?
For me yes, it's just me. Reasons are cost, fine fitting and light.
Appreciate 1
jmciver1823.50
      09-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #50
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
From what I am seeing most of the aluminum hoods do not fit perfectly they all seem to dip down in the middle where the hood meets the grilles. Take a look at the other thread with the guy selling the white one. It's really noticable there.
I see what you’re pointing out but it might be just the angle of the photo. T1M3LESS has an OEM GTS hood and in some of his photos it has the same appearance. Not sure if there’s any further adjustments that can be done or if it’s just in photos.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 10:55 PM   #51
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
I see what you’re pointing out but it might be just the angle of the photo. T1M3LESS has an OEM GTS hood and in some of his photos it has the same appearance. Not sure if there’s any further adjustments that can be done or if it’s just in photos.
Ah yes, I see that now, even looking at the CS picture thread they all seem to have it to some degree...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 05:14 AM   #52
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you choose to install the vent block-off piece that comes with it or use the OEM vent that makes the hood functional? Also, did the shop paint and clear coat the backside of the hood, like OEM?

And finally, while I know it will vary from region to region, what was your cost to prep, paint and install?

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:29 PM   #53
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So based on all the pics it seems like the suvneer one looks good. I'm finding those annoying gaps on alot of people's rides (even stock setups.) Seems like it might be an adjustment thing. Even saw it an M2 now...
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2020, 12:05 AM   #54
Don_MPoor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did you choose to install the vent block-off piece that comes with it or use the OEM vent that makes the hood functional? Also, did the shop paint and clear coat the backside of the hood, like OEM?

And finally, while I know it will vary from region to region, what was your cost to prep, paint and install?
I got the OEM vent from Bmwbimmerparts and asked the shop to paint it with gloss black to match the grills.
Appreciate 0