Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #133
topside844
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i (Alpine White)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by topside844 View Post
Looks like I might have spun my crank hub testing out rolling Stage 1 anti lag

I've been running Stage 1 for quite a while now with no issues, but just got a drivetrain malfunction / crank hub angle tolerance error about ~15min after getting off the highway.

[IMG]https://snipboard.io/AXWl5O.jpg[/IMG]

There goes a few grand at best
I believe there are a slew of codes that pop up when the SCH situation appears. Way more than what you showed so there is hope!

Have you tried starting/running the car since then?
Once I got home, I did try to restart it and it took an extra second to crank up. Hesitant to clear the codes and crank her up again as I don't want to run a possible mis-timed engine. However, it did take a while (~15-35mins) after spirited driving for limp mode to activate. I would have expected to see it immediately.

Since someone else asked- No CBC, completely stock.

Will get it towed to a BMW master technician Monday to take a further look.

Just be careful with anti-lag! Seems to be more aggressive than a DCT kick-down which I had been avoiding.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 02:26 PM   #134
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
Once I got home, I did try to restart it and it took an extra second to crank up. Hesitant to clear the codes and crank her up again as I don't want to run a possible mis-timed engine. However, it did take a while (~15-35mins) after spirited driving for limp mode to activate. I would have expected to see it immediately.

Just be careful with anti-lag! Seems to be more aggressive than a DCT kick-down which I had been avoiding.
Out of curiosity, what gear were you in when you did an Anti-Lag pull?
      03-14-2021, 02:44 PM   #135
m4h2o
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Can someone please explain if this is possible?

use carey jordans e85 custom tune and use PTFs FF and install the sensor. Good to go?!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 04:13 PM   #136
topside844
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsopoulos View Post
Out of curiosity, what gear were you in when you did an Anti-Lag pull?
I tested it out about 4-5 times, each time around a 50-70mph starting speed in 3rd/4th gear.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #137
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:

I’ve run it at least 50 times since flashing no issues. Your hub would’ve spun then anyways happens on bone stock cars.
Appreciate 1
TideMD291.50
      03-15-2021, 12:08 AM   #138
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

Quote:

I think that's a little overly aggressive caution towards the anti-lag. I've engaged it numerous times over the weekend, after converting my CJordan E85 tune to the customROM and flashing. In my opinion (based purely on feel), the anti-lag is nowhere near as abrupt as any DCT kick-down.
      03-15-2021, 07:57 AM   #139
m4h2o
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMD View Post
Quote:

I think that's a little overly aggressive caution towards the anti-lag. I've engaged it numerous times over the weekend, after converting my CJordan E85 tune to the customROM and flashing. In my opinion (based purely on feel), the anti-lag is nowhere near as abrupt as any DCT kick-down.
Tide I think your comment answered a question i had earlier. I also have cj custom e85 tune. My question was if i can add thise features to that tune.. specifically the flex fuel?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 10:39 AM   #140
EasyBimmerCoding
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Amazing update, Great work BM3 Team.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #141
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Do you plan to update any of the existing S55 maps / GTS transmission software?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #142
TideMD
Some random guy
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4h2o View Post
Tide I think your comment answered a question i had earlier. I also have cj custom e85 tune. My question was if i can add thise features to that tune.. specifically the flex fuel?
Once the initial bugs were worked out by PTF, the anti-lag feature finally worked when converting the CJ E85 tune to the customROM format. Not sure about the FF aspect, as I don't have that setup at the time. But, the FF sensor override options are available and active in the "Live Tuning" tab, so it might be incorporated using the OTS FF settings (similar to how anti-lag is incorporated into the custom tune with the basic OTS settings).
      03-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #143
Psychotic Mouse
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange M3

Has anyone tested liveadjust burbles?

I don’t notice a difference when moving the slider.

I’m curious to see what the various aggressions souls like as I don’t use burbles.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #144
Marrow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 comp & E46 M3 vert

Any feed back on the multi map switching from people that have done it ?
Any niggles with the software or flashing ?

I have heard the CS/oem map is particularly strong else where
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #145
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Ok., I take it all back!!!!

"PTF" [Edit:]

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Quick question: Do you need any additional hardware (like the fuel sensor) to be installed before this multi-map can be used or can it be used on a Stock car as is?

I do not have any use for any fuel mixes - my main interest is playing around with the map switching (especially between CS and Stage 1) - so would any additional hardware be needed or can I just buy the OTS Stage 1 multi-map and flash it.

I am currently flashed with Stage 1, stock car - no hardware modifications.

Also, can the Anti-Lag be disabled for the OTS Stage 1 multi-map?
I re-!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorstein View Post
Hey again,

"Confused" here.

Is this version of "Map switching" only for those with access to e blend based fuels??

It was just confirmed to me today by Serge @"PTF" that you Do Not have to be running an e-blend based fuel
in order to use the new MultiMap(s).

Thus, you can take part in all of the joys of the newly released On The Fly Map Switching feature but, for the
time being, only with their pre-set** maps:

> Map1: ACN91 octane
> Map2: 91 octane
> Map3: 93 octane
> Map4: CS stock power map

that at are installed within the (2) newly available MultiMap(s).

Cheers!

** [Edit:] I was [Incorrectly] also informed...

Last edited by Trevorstein; 03-31-2021 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 02:51 PM   #146
BYT_M4C
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M4C, '73 Cuda, '98 RSTi

Am I alone in trying to patiently wait for what happened to topside's car?! Really hoping it wasn't a spun hub!
Appreciate 2
jpy19801581.50
      03-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #147
topside844
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYT_M4C View Post
Am I alone in trying to patiently wait for what happened to topside's car?! Really hoping it wasn't a spun hub!
Based on the 130F20 error code, it's almost certainly a spun hub. However, it is interesting that I only have an exhaust camshaft angular offset code and not one for the intake (130E20) as well. I'm hoping that means the offset is very small and only one sensor detected the deviation.

Whether or not its actually a spun hub, I've already booked time with a BMW master tech shop and ordered all the parts to permanently fix plus some. Full VTT spline lock + CBC, VRSF charge pipe / j-pipe / down pipe, and NGK 97506 plugs.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #148
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Quote:
Based on the 130F20 error code, it's almost certainly a spun hub. However, it is interesting that I only have an exhaust camshaft angular offset code and not one for the intake (130E20) as well. I'm hoping that means the offset is very small and only one sensor detected the deviation.

Whether or not its actually a spun hub, I've already booked time with a BMW master tech shop and ordered all the parts to permanently fix plus some. Full VTT spline lock + CBC, VRSF charge pipe / j-pipe / down pipe, and NGK 97506 plugs.
Excellent news!!

That error code was most definitely a positive for you. Congrats!

03-15-2021, 10:27 PM   #149
tanzm4_
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 M4 ZCP - Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtygrid View Post
Doesn't the flex fuel functionality of the CustomROM account for that? It can compensate from 0 to 100% ethanol apparently
Thats what I was saying

I already have full e85 tune for my car. This would be useful when you switch to 91 every 5k miles because since the car is still going to have some e85 in there but the flex fuel will be able to adjust accordingly to this right?
With the new ots multimap if you don't want to get the flex fuel hardware for your car to automatically make adjustments it's my understanding that you can manually put in your ethanol percentage in the new Live Adjustments tab and it forces the car to compensate for whatever ethanol percentage you plug in. If I had to guess though the E85 flex fuel tune is probably pretty watered down since it is an ots tune after all. If I had to guess it might make 550 whp at most.

Edit: take what I say with a grain of salt though. I'm not PTF so that may not be how it works exactly
You can do the override E% without an ethanol sensor, but the % resets when you restart your car (Homer- DOH!). Keep your laptop handy!
@proTUNING Freaks

Is there way you guys can update this so that override is saved rather than have it reset every time.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 10:35 PM   #150
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzm4_ View Post
@proTUNING Freaks

Is there way you guys can update this so that override is saved rather than have it reset every time.
That override has been implemented to reset with ignition off on purpose. While it would seem convenient to have it save, like last map slot selected, in practice it's a bad idea for this setting to be saved as it can easily be overlooked from one ignition on event/run on to another and you end up filling up on pump gas while the flex fuel tune is being told its still on full E85. It's a setting that is used as a failsafe to get yourselves home when a sensor dies, nothing more nothing less, should be used as such and with caution.
Appreciate 3
tanzm4_176.00
gspannu199.50
TideMD291.50
      03-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #151
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
This anti-lag feature is incredible. Great work.

I do wish it was programmed to position two and downward instead though, especially when you're driving down a not-so-smooth road in an already rough-riding vehicle. Nothing as it is now that can't be improved over use and time, though. Maybe it's just my brain but holding it downward feels more like a natural motion for a "slingshot" effect.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 12:52 PM   #152
BYT_M4C
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M4C, '73 Cuda, '98 RSTi

The people that are using ALS, stock crank hub? CBC? Full hub fix?

Topside's has me nervous! (Yes, I realize Im fishing for some false confidence)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 01:04 PM   #153
c4ss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 BMW M3 ZCP 6MT

Any Zeitronix ECA CAN Bus Ethanol Sensor install videos?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #154
slaughter.mode
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYT_M4C View Post
The people that are using ALS, stock crank hub? CBC? Full hub fix?

Topside's has me nervous! (Yes, I realize Im fishing for some false confidence)
If anyone is, they deserve what's comin' to them. It's about as silly as riding a motorcycle without a helmet.
Appreciate 0