BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-01-2023, 12:55 PM   #1
sakhirm4jack
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Exhaust flap actuator issues

Hey everyone! First post here, so please let me know if I need to delete and move somewhere else.
I just purchased a 2016 M4 about two weeks ago (first ever BMW) and I've been absolutely loving it so far apart from one thing. The previous owner had an AWE track exhaust installed, so the first thing I did was purchase my buddy's OEM exhaust from his 2018 Comp M4 and swap it out. All I needed were the valve actuators so I ordered two of these sets:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12564062670...mis&media=COPY

After installing them, neither valve will actuate. I've combed every forum I can find and can't figure out what the issue is. The pigtails were zip-tied up out of the way and the connectors aren't corroded at all, so I don't think that is the issue. The two fuses in the trunk (146 and 147 I think?) are in place and my parking assistant and DC converter work so that shouldn't be a problem. The car has a BM3 stage 1 tune, but I received the license transfer and have not been able to get them to actuate using either method on the software with my phone or laptop. I even tried flashing back to stock - nothing. The valves are not stuck, as I can open and close them with a stick through the outer exhaust tips, so that isn't it. I also downloaded bimmercode and bimmerlink for good measure but haven't had any luck with those either. I've tried switching between modes and tapping the gas with the actuators installed and with them off the valve, and have watched them on startup with a buddy helping me and have not seen either actuator budge. Does anyone have an idea as to what the issue could be? The valve rattle is driving me insane so any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
-Jack
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 01:34 AM   #2
mehman63
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Might be possible the servos you got are bad, they definitely should at least move at some point, try them on a friend's bmw that has valve actuators or test it at a bmw dealer first to make sure it's not the servo
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2023, 01:35 AM   #3
mehman63
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Or your wiring is nicked somewhere causing a short to ground
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 08:04 PM   #4
richdb14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f80 m3

Did you have a code throw too?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 08:07 PM   #5
sakhirm4jack
Registered
Rep

Nope, no codes. The car thinks it’s actuating the valves when it’s not. I also sent back the actuators I had and got new ones in case I got a faulty one and still nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 08:10 PM   #6
sakhirm4jack
Registered
Rep

I also checked both plugs with a multimeter and 2/3 wires on both plugs have voltage and the other wire is a ground so I know it’s not shorting somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 04:42 PM   #7
icloudfiles
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

did you get this fixed? Im having the same issue on my m2.
Appreciate 0