Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #1
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Brembo GT-S 380mm Experience

Does anyone have hands on track experience with this kit and can contrast it with the AP Racing BBK?

Looking to upgrade Brembo blue brakes on my '18 M2. Appreciate your insight.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #2
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Still need to remove the caliper to change pads. That's a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:01 PM   #3
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Get the Essex AP Racing kit and call it a day. They will last longer.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2019, 09:02 PM   #4
MPOOR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / WHITE

Ap racing Pro series ~!@@
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #5
StefanBaugh
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I just had this installed and will be testing this coming Sunday. You can change the pads easily just like the OEM brakes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanBaugh View Post
I just had this installed and will be testing this coming Sunday. You can change the pads easily just like the OEM brakes.
Cool Stefan. Looking forward to your reaction.
Appreciate 1
jacobe92619.00
      02-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
StefanBaugh
Rep

Spent the day yesterday at Summit Point Motorsports Park for a winter test and tune open track day. First 1/2 of the day was wet and cold but we lucked out and got a couple hours of dry track with temps around 60. These brakes are a vast improvement to stock. Pedal feel is much better with less travel and they simply slow the car much faster. I found my self over-slowing in many areas and it took a while to get accustomed to both softer braking and getting on them later. The stopping power inspired confidence. I don't know about the AP kit (I have track friends with who swear by their AP brakes) but my race shop recommended these over the AP.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #8
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Spent the day yesterday at Summit Point Motorsports Park for a winter test and tune open track day. First 1/2 of the day was wet and cold but we lucked out and got a couple hours of dry track with temps around 60. These brakes are a vast improvement to stock. Pedal feel is much better with less travel and they simply slow the car much faster. I found my self over-slowing in many areas and it took a while to get accustomed to both softer braking and getting on them later. The stopping power inspired confidence. I don't know about the AP kit (I have track friends with who swear by their AP brakes) but my race shop recommended these over the AP.
Thank you for your input!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:23 PM   #9
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
What pads on the OEM brakes were you using before?

And curious, what race shop do you use?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:52 PM   #10
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Stefan - did you just get these installed at RRT couple of weeks back? Wayne was showing me your kit. I must have also seen you at Summit yesterday. Drove up there in my blue M2 and talked to Jim with the blue E46 and couple other guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 08:07 PM   #11
StefanBaugh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:

I used Pagid RSL29 pads. I have been waiting for PFC to come out with a kit for the car but they keep saying they don't have a launch date. I use RRT for everything. They cost a little more than most but what you get is great advice from people with very good knowledge of the car. Everything I have done is for better lap times and Wayne at RRT is excellent at that.

I have a stock motor and I have had multiple people argue with me that I am not telling the truth because I drive past their Dinan car. But my track setup is very deliberate. People underestimate how many seconds in lap time a roll cage and racing seats are worth...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #12
StefanBaugh
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landapanda View Post
Quote:
Stefan - did you just get these installed at RRT couple of weeks back? Wayne was showing me your kit. I must have also seen you at Summit yesterday. Drove up there in my blue M2 and talked to Jim with the blue E46 and couple other guys.
Yes I was there. I have the black M4. You parked in front of me. I was there with Vick (black e92) and Dave (red Corvette).

Wayne at RRT is the only person who has worked on my car and I don't see that changing.

It's a track car at this point...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:09 PM   #13
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Shop prob recommended the Brembo's over the AP's because there's more margin. AP/Essex are made by essex parts and they're the sole distributor. There are resellers of the AP/Essex kits but the markup is very low compared ST and Brembo.

Every image of the GT-S Caliper shows a Fixed stiffening bridge in the monoblock caliper. Unless I'm missing something that would lead me to think you have to remove the caliper to replace the pad even with the pins.

Brembo pads are typically 18-18.5mm thick whereas the ST kits are 18-20mm pads and the AP uses 25mm pads.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:42 AM   #14
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I used Pagid RSL29 pads. I have been waiting for PFC to come out with a kit for the car but they keep saying they don't have a launch date. I use RRT for everything. They cost a little more than most but what you get is great advice from people with very good knowledge of the car. Everything I have done is for better lap times and Wayne at RRT is excellent at that.

I have a stock motor and I have had multiple people argue with me that I am not telling the truth because I drive past their Dinan car. But my track setup is very deliberate. People underestimate how many seconds in lap time a roll cage and racing seats are worth...
Stefan. I get your comment about the track seats and how much more comfortable and in control one is with them installed. In all the right-handers at Summit I find myself bracing against the door with my left leg; My next mod after BBK are going to be some street legal bucket seats.

What's the advantage of the roll cage in terms of making you faster on the track? Are you saying the car is stiffer and handles better coming out of the corners, or is it a matter of confidence knowing you have it in case you need it ?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:48 AM   #15
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
Shop prob recommended the Brembo's over the AP's because there's more margin. AP/Essex are made by essex parts and they're the sole distributor. There are resellers of the AP/Essex kits but the markup is very low compared ST and Brembo.

Every image of the GT-S Caliper shows a Fixed stiffening bridge in the monoblock caliper. Unless I'm missing something that would lead me to think you have to remove the caliper to replace the pad even with the pins.

Brembo pads are typically 18-18.5mm thick whereas the ST kits are 18-20mm pads and the AP uses 25mm pads.
One big advantage of the GTS kit is that it has seals so you can drive your car in the off-seas son and not worry about salt degrading your calipers. The AP kit does not have them, so you just need to be a lot more cautious about the driving conditions.

I am still undecided on these and will hold off on doing a BBK at this point. I am having RRT do PFC12s front and back, Bimmerworld brake lines, SRF fluid and put on my PS4s this Friday, then it is off to Summit Main with the Audi club mid March. Counting the days...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #16
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
One big advantage of the GTS kit is that it has seals so you can drive your car in the off-seas son and not worry about salt degrading your calipers. The AP kit does not have them, so you just need to be a lot more cautious about the driving conditions.
Stop spreading misinformation, your statements are patently false.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #17
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

+1 for Brembo!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:02 AM   #18
StefanBaugh
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stefan. I get your comment about the track seats and how much more comfortable and in control one is with them installed. In all the right-handers at Summit I find myself bracing against the door with my left leg; My next mod after BBK are going to be some street legal bucket seats.

What's the advantage of the roll cage in terms of making you faster on the track? Are you saying the car is stiffer and handles better coming out of the corners, or is it a matter of confidence knowing you have it in case you need it ?
Without the cage I don't think there is a safe way to get a 6 point harness in that car which is the only way to really be stable. I don't think of it as a safety thing because I have no intention of crashing but it is a possibility we all have to deal with. The cage did change the car quite a bit. It went from understeer (BMW design) to oversteer which required some suspension tweaks to get rid of. Others have made the same comment after installing a cage. I went with a custom cage from RRT because the bolt in cages all have cross bars that I didn't like. Plus my back seats still fold down all the way which is nice for carrying stuff.
Appreciate 0