ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-01-2021, 07:49 AM   #23
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj505 View Post
I'm thinking it's not the insurance increase more than people not wanting the accident on the carfax report. That's the general feeling I get reading various threads on here.
Which is silly, the cost of the repair is likely more than you'll lose in resale value.

Your car will depreciate regardless, make use of the insurance you paid for.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      10-01-2021, 07:54 AM   #24
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Quote:
I'm thinking it's not the insurance increase more than people not wanting the accident on the carfax report. That's the general feeling I get reading various threads on here.
Which is silly, the cost of the repair is likely more than you'll lose in resale value.

Your car will depreciate regardless, make use of the insurance you paid for.
Agreed but from what I gather:
If the repair is less than a certain amount then people will repair out of pocket because the loss of value from it being in the carfax is more than the out of pocket today. They want to preserve the value since they don't plan on keeping the car long term.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 10:22 AM   #25
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I think the problem is many of us M enthusiasts are OCD so we think about it too much. Some have built "their baby" and can't let go…

Do the math first. Best bet is usually an insurance claim, then sell the car to a dealership. I'd get another well cared for car from another M enthusiast (anyone who uses Blackstone repeatedly) and build that up.
      10-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #26
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
If the repair is less than a certain amount then people will repair out of pocket because the loss of value from it being in the carfax is more than the out of pocket today. They want to preserve the value since they don't plan on keeping the car long term.
That could backfire when the buyer has an inspection and notices some components are newer. Unless you thoroughly detail and clean your suspension parts, and make sure you match brands ect, it'll be noticed and then there will be questions.
Personally, I'd be more comfortable buying a car with known and documented repairs, vs unexplained mystery work.
Appreciate 2
MJ6962.50
PhatLyfe984.00
      10-02-2021, 11:22 AM   #27
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
Car didn't just slip, you lost control lol. If you ain't got it, just say so....
I lol'd when reading like as if the car was damaged by rain and not the driver losing control

just claim. And no the internet cannot tell you what will happen to your insurance, way too many things going there. One thing for sure that repair bill will be higher than many years of premiums so you are winning, not the insurance company.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 11:45 AM   #28
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That could backfire when the buyer has an inspection and notices some components are newer. Unless you thoroughly detail and clean your suspension parts, and make sure you match brands ect, it'll be noticed and then there will be questions.
Personally, I'd be more comfortable buying a car with known and documented repairs, vs unexplained mystery work.
Bruh… you don't know the lengths people go through to cover it up. Just follow the forums.
You will see:

Had an issue
It was significant
Got it fixed
Sold the car
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 06:18 AM   #29
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Bruh… you don't know the lengths people go through to cover it up. Just follow the forums.
You will see:

Had an issue
It was significant
Got it fixed
Sold the car
Feel like that's partly because this forum are such drama queens over accident damage that makes people rush to sell the cars, with all that "waaah it'll never drive the same again" bullshit
Appreciate 6
spidy512491.50
bigj505359.00
65fastback1132.50
PhatLyfe984.00
deeldoo1121.00
      10-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #30
bigj505
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You will see:

Had an issue
It was significant
Got it fixed
Sold the car
Feel like that's partly because this forum are such drama queens over accident damage that makes people rush to sell the cars, with all that "waaah it'll never drive the same again" bullshit
Facts
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #31
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
These cars a prone to " slipping " and many damages happen.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #32
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackF82 View Post
People have insurance and make hefty monthly premiums. Yet, when it comes time to use insurance for the purpose it is supposed to serve, they are afraid to use it because their premiums would increase. What a jacked-up system, the rich (corporations) sure know how to fuck the middle and poor classes pretty good.
Couldn't disagree more. My insurance company is still very much in the red with me on a hit and run

Don't like it? Get general liability. Nobody is out to get you; it's simple business. Nobody has ever said "damn I wish I didn't have insurance"
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 06:28 PM   #33
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

All State accident forgiveness hails package
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #34
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
Quote:
These cars a prone to " slipping " and many damages happen.
If you drive recklessly
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #35
65fastback
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
If you drive recklessly
yup thats what I meant ...these cars can make recovering form a bad or questionable driving decision next to impossible. N/A cars are much more predictable generally speaking.

If you have a heavy right foot and little seat time you are screwed TC is your best friend.
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe984.00
      10-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #36
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
yup thats what I meant ...these cars can make recovering form a bad or questionable driving decision next to impossible. N/A cars are much more predictable generally speaking.

If you have a heavy right foot and little seat time you are screwed TC is your best friend.
Generally speaking, whether a car is N/A or not makes little difference. Drive too fast for the conditions in any car, particularly if it's raining, and there will be consequences, N/A or not.

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #37
65fastback
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Generally speaking, whether a car is N/A or not makes little difference. Drive too fast for the conditions in any car, particularly if it's raining, and there will be consequences, N/A or not.
And sometimes not driving to fast but putting your foot to the floor at the wrong time….can result in much boost generating wheel spin sending you into a “my car just slipped “ can you help me fix it?

A Turbo f80 puts a butt load of torque to the rear wheels down early & low as compared to a na car. Just sayin.
No idea what the real situation op was in. Other than broken parts.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #38
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
And sometimes not driving to fast but putting your foot to the floor at the wrong time….can result in much boost generating wheel spin sending you into a “my car just slipped “ can you help me fix it?

A Turbo f80 puts a butt load of torque to the rear wheels down early & low as compared to a na car. Just sayin.
No idea what the real situation op was in. Other than broken parts.
You say potato, I say potahto.

"putting your foot to the floor at the wrong time" is the definition of driving too fast for the conditions...

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:07 AM   #39
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandeur View Post
Chiming in as I had something very similar last year when I unfortunately, ran out of talent.

The major components I had to get-
  • Rear Axle - $1.9k
  • Final Drive Assembly - $6k
  • Output Shaft - $1.9k
  • 666m Wheel - $1.2k
  • Control Arms - $700
  • Drive Shaft - $6k

Major Components Total- ~$17,700 not including all the miscellaneous items like screws, bolts, and a bunch of other stuff.

Dealer quoted me- $23k in just parts minus labor. With labor, it was looking at ~$30k

I am really good friends with the owner of an indy shop and got the whole job down to just ~$18k

This is just my experience, but I feel you can use this as a worst-case scenario reference as you may not have damaged as many components as I have.

The parts and labor pricing will also likely vary as I got quoted in November of 2020 in the Seattle area. Hopefully, this gave you some helpful insight, and I can empathize with you on this, it sucks but you'll get through it!
What this guy said. I was there once...and now multiple M cars later and a bit more ah lets call it "wisdom" also I have a VERY healthy amount of respect for what the designers but more importantly the engineers at Munich and Stuttgart and others have put together. Don't speed on public roads, don't turn off traction control (esp in the F8x series)....too much torque for the chassis gets you in trouble and very easily loss of control quickly IF you don't know what you are doing. My '15 M3 after being tuned by an ESS flash that I almost NEVER used launch control because it was almost uncontrollable at the rear despite my HDE and M School experiences and skill....yes I've taken a bunch of driving schools with BMW and Porsche to improve my skills and as they call it "talent." and the best thing I've learned is I am about 6/10ths maybe 7/10th on my best day to what these cars need to keep em on the road on a good day. Having driven also in Germany on the Authobahn and have few taxi rides and these cars can do amazing things in the hands of the right driver trained appropriately and with the correct amount of experience which I am humble enough to acknowledge now is something most os us in the US on the public roads lack and which are roads are not even built for! Something not included in BMW's advertisements! So remember in these cars...you will more than likely run out of the later "talent" first before you do road and the car does performance on its end! Each plays a part right?
LOL.

So to the OP...so sorry to hear about your incident aka accident. Sounds like the car got away from you in poor road conditions and physics took over along with geography unfortunately. Agree with the above posts on your pics posted and likely need for an insurance adjuster to take a serious look at the car. Best case you only get away with a wheel/tire/control arm replacement but honestly BMW M makes some good parts and engineering..race ready stuff so the amount of force it takes to snap some of these parts doesn't do "nice" things to things like suspension components and frames. Doubt that is all you have damaged...if so you are VERY lucky....at worst you're probably looking at a $20k plus repair from a certified shop...less from someone else. To give you an idea my son's '14 428ix just went to an adjuster for a self-pay quote for just a bumper respray, PDC sensor fix (front) and to take out dents from both doors and a quarter panel after a bad encounter with a metal privacy gate and his inattentiveness.....$4k easy repair. No body work and only part was a $255 PDC sensor to replace. You've got more than that! I had 2 flats on one of my Audi's after hitting road debris...$3.5k almost for OEM wheels and tires ($1k almost for PS4's and $1200 each a rim).

As said it will be costly unfortunately....either way as many have noted. Keep us updated and hopefully it works out best for you!
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten

Last edited by mdrobc13; 10-18-2021 at 01:17 AM..
Appreciate 0