Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

10-19-2020, 07:25 AM   #1
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep
Drives: 2022 Imola Red II G80 M3

Active Autowerke Equal Length Mid-Pip Paired-up With AWE Switchpath Exhaust

*UPDATED JULY 2021*

After having the Active Autowerke Equal Length Mid-pipe paired up with my AWE Switchpath Exhaust I have given a fair review if its worth the pricey setup. Long story short, if you have the AWE Switchpath or AWE Track Exhaust its absolutely worth it to get the Active Autowerke Equal Length Mid-pipe. The sound is unique and still has the distinctive low deep tone from the AWE but smooths out when you're on WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

I recently learned that you can actually contact AWE directly and purchase their rear section of the exhaust instead of buying the full system if you plan on pairing these two together. This maybe an option for the ones who don't have the AWE system already. I deep dive into this topic in the video below.

Hopefully this saves you guys some time and headaches when deciding on your exhaust setup.

__________________________________________________ ___________

I think the majority of us can agree that the one of the biggest complaints was how the S55 platform sounded. There are many exhausts brands and different setups that helped that issue but some of those setups just increased the dreaded rasp.

Being a local to South Florida, I was able to meet with the team at Active Autowerke to see and hear their new Equal Length Mid-pipe. I went with Miguel who is the other co-founder of BMW Invasion and we were able to get out hands on the Equal Length Mid-pipe. We can confirm, the hype is real. We honestly feel this was one of the top 3 modifications that we've have done to our F80s.

If you're ordering the Equal Length Mid-pipe to be paired with your AWE Exhaust, be sure to contact them to get you set up with there new connector pipe. This setup will not work without this pipe.

As you can see in the photo, AWE Switchpath exhausts is not a direct fitment. Additionally, AWE is a 3 inch pipe and the equal length is a 2.5 inch pipe. AWE makes their exhausts so you have to use their entire setup. you just can't use their rear section or vice-versa. I was luckily able to have the team at Active Autowerke custom fabricate the connector pipe to make it work and the connector pipe will now be available for other customers.

Here is a video where I was able to interview one of the owners from Active Autowerke, film the custom fabrication of the connector pipe, installation of the midpipe and most importantly on how this pair sounds. I have to give it to the team at Active Autowerke, they did an amazing job on the midpipe and the connector pipe.

Here's another video of :
Catless downpipe, Resonated Equal Length Mid-pipe, and Stock CS rear muffler.

Hopefully this helps you guys out that are contemplating on getting one. We'll be back at Active Autowerke in a few weeks to hear their New MadMax Exhaust which should be interesting.

YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/c/TheDailyDriven/featured

Last edited by TheDailyDriven; 09-03-2021 at 12:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Oh shiettttt!! I have the AWE exhaust and have been looking forward to your video/review!

Can you tell me exactly what to order from AA to get the EL mid pipes mated to my AWE Switchpath exhaust?!!
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2020, 12:40 PM   #3
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Oh shiettttt!! I have the AWE exhaust and have been looking forward to your video/review!

Can you tell me exactly what to order from AA to get the EL mid pipes mated to my AWE Switchpath exhaust?!!

Active Autowerke literally just developed this connector pipe on Friday. It may not be on their website yet, but def. give them a call. I just spoke with the owner today and it seems like more AWE owners are getting their orders in.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Gold View Post
Active Autowerke literally just developed this connector pipe on Friday. It may not be on their website yet, but def. give them a call. I just spoke with the owner today and it seems like more AWE owners are getting their orders in.
Nice! I just messaged them. Thanks so much! =)
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2021, 12:22 PM   #5
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep

*UPDATED JULY 2021*

After having the Active Autowerke Equal Length Mid-pipe paired up with my AWE Switchpath Exhaust I have given a fair review if its worth the pricey setup. Long story short, if you have the AWE Switchpath or AWE Track Exhaust its absolutely worth it to get the Active Autowerke Equal Length Mid-pipe. The sound is unique and still has the distinctive low deep tone from the AWE but smooths out when you're on WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

I recently learned that you can actually contact AWE directly and purchase their rear section of the exhaust instead of buying the full system if you plan on pairing these two together. This maybe an option for the ones who don't have the AWE system already. I deep dive into this topic in the video below.

Hopefully this saves you guys some time and headaches when deciding on your exhaust setup.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Hmm! "Equal Length"?,...or should it be referred to as "Unequal Length"?? I think the objective for the AWE EL Mid-Pipe is for the Exhaust wave from the Turbos to exit the muffler/tailpipe at the same time vs having a 'First/Second' exit timing affect! That said, I clearly do not see where the AWE Mid-Pipe is the same 'Length',...as one is definitely longer than the other as a result of compressing the "length" of one pipe,...thus the beginning and ending of the mid-pipes is the same,...but hardly "Equal Lengths"! Props to F80Ho,....good info all the same.
      01-03-2022, 12:54 PM   #7
JBLm3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

This setup sounds great! I was looking to do the same but quickly realized that the gen 1 switchpath for the F80 is no longer available. Is it possible to use the same connector pipes for the AWE gen 2 switchpath exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 01:08 PM   #8
Pewtinn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

^Bump - anyone know if the EQ midpipe (w their connector pipe) can be paired with the Gen 2 AWE Switchpath?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 11:19 PM   #9
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewtinn View Post
^Bump - anyone know if the EQ midpipe (w their connector pipe) can be paired with the Gen 2 AWE Switchpath?

Unfortunately the Gen 2 will not work with the Active Autowerke Equal Length Mid-Pipe without a custom connector pipe. The AWE Gen 2 requires you to use your stock midpipe because of EPA regulations.

I'm sure you can get a custom connector pipe from a third party exhaust shop. If you can find a used Gen 1, that would be the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 12:06 PM   #10
michael1284
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Is this the correct pipe?

https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...40697261981807

Man...expensive standalone pipe. Almost worth just buying it new as a set...than finding a used + new pipes.
      04-21-2023, 04:58 PM   #11
HotRodM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1284 View Post
Is this the correct pipe?

https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...40697261981807

Man...expensive standalone pipe. Almost worth just buying it new as a set...than finding a used + new pipes.
This only works with the OG AWE switchpath.
I have those connector pipes in the link if you wanna buy them. Never installed.
      04-21-2023, 08:09 PM   #12
michael1284
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodM4 View Post
This only works with the OG AWE switchpath.
I have those connector pipes in the link if you wanna buy them. Never installed.
Send you a PM. I have the original gen 1 switch path
Appreciate 0