ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-12-2021, 10:29 PM   #1
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Cutting OEM cat back for transport/storage

I recently purchased the Akrapovic slip-on +VRSF mid pipe from another forum member. Looking to get it installed this Friday. I need to be able to transport my OEM exhaust back home in my car. What should I tell the shop where to cut that would make the most sense? Or does it even matter?

I would think if any cuts are to be made, it should be anywhere that's straight.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

The most sensible location is where the VRSF mid pipe tells you to cut the stock muffler to mate it. That way if you ever sell the muffler or mid pipe it's in a location that people are expecting to bolt up to theirs. You can get a worthwhile amount of money for both.

It makes transport a little challenging done this way, but if you cut anywhere else, you'll need to fit it to your car and weld it back on if you ever sell the midpipe in the future. I suppose you could buy clamps but that's hacky. Can always cut it twice to make the midpipe shorter. Just bring lots of towels to rest the stock pipes on, don't want to wreck that interior.
      10-13-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Cutting OEM cat back for transport/storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
The most sensible location is where the VRSF mid pipe tells you to cut the stock muffler to mate it. That way if you ever sell the muffler or mid pipe it's in a location that people are expecting to bolt up to theirs. You can get a worthwhile amount of money for both.

It makes transport a little challenging done this way, but if you cut anywhere else, you'll need to fit it to your car and weld it back on if you ever sell the midpipe in the future. I suppose you could buy clamps but that's hacky. Can always cut it twice to make the midpipe shorter. Just bring lots of towels to rest the stock pipes on, don't want to wreck that interior.
Are you saying even with the cut closer to the exhaust it's still a challenge to transport the midpipe? I have a M3 so I can always drop my back seats and push my passenger front seat forward. Hopefully that's enough clearance for the midpipe.

Also curious why you would consider using clamps as hacky. Isn't that what's typically used for these kinds of aftermarket midpipes with the stock rears to mate it up?

Last edited by dawei213; 10-13-2021 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:11 PM   #4
Tdog86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3   [9.50]
2016 bmw m3  [0.00]
I have a stock exhaust in my garage and just measured the exhaust where it would be cut at before the muffler, the mid pipe would be around 103", the muffler is about 36"x30" when cut off the mid pipe, it looks like it would fit if you were to fold back the passenger seat and put it at an angle on top of the passenger seat left of head rest and kinda strap it so it doesn't move and place some blankets down, it might work straight trough where the shifter/gear selector is but it would block it but it looks really tight. Double check if it would work for you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 08:37 PM   #5
Shubacca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36/7 M Roadster

I'm going through the mid pipe jigsaw right now too. From the rear edge of the trunk compartment, it (mid pipe cut to length for the AA single replacement) will extend the whole way up to the gearshift (in an M3). Wrap in towels and duct tape and use a ratchet strap to loop around and secure to the trunk anchor points. Not ideal for any duration of a drive.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2021, 10:39 PM   #6
dawei213
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Appreciate the feedback fellas.

Tdog86, thanks for taking the time to measuring it. That's what I'll probably end up doing in terms of laying it down in the car.
Appreciate 0