Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #1
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 MW M3

BM3 & Awron gauge issues- UPDATE: RESOLVED

I'm still having issues flashing my car with BM3.. I'm guessing the gauge is the issue? The gauge originally had older software so when I went to flash the car it wouldn't flash any percent. So I contacted Awron and Ante one of the development managers told me you have to actually put it in service mode to flash the car, so I did and it actually loaded to 100% and then failed.. So he asked me what software I had and he said that's older software so he sent me the newest version 5.8v.. I just loaded it to the gauge and the same thing is happening loads to 100 and then fails.. The problem is the gauge doesn't say service mode which I heard once to plug the obd in it should say that.. So my question to you guys is does anyone have the gauge and loaded BM3? What did you do or how? What version software does your gauge have? I'm about to remove it I've been dealing with this for over a week and my car has errors.. Also Ante from Awron isn't the nicest guy he gets mad when you suggest or ask to many questions..

UPDATE: The issue was resolved it was a coding issue, I had used one of those coding apps from the app store to code my mirrors etc and it screwed up some of the codes.. All the guys at bootmod3 especially Dzenan and Halim were very helpful trying to get this issue resolved quickly. It would of been resolved sooner but when Dzenan tried to remote into my computer my signal kept dropping so we had to do it another day and my schedule is rough. Anyway thank you to everyone that tried to help, now i cant wait to use the tune
2018 F80 M3 ZCP Mineral White- Extended Shakir Orange - Full Suntek Ultra Wrapped - ///M Performance Spoiler - RKP Front Lip - RKP Side Skirts - Vorsteiner GTS Diffuser -AA Mid-Pipe-///M performance HAS kit - HRE P101

11 E90 M3 JEREZ BLK METALLIC ZCP SOLD

Last edited by kerkiraios00; 03-25-2019 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerkiraios00 View Post
I'm still having issues flashing my car with BM3.. I'm guessing the gauge is the issue? The gauge originally had older software so when I went to flash the car it wouldn't flash any percent. So I contacted Awron and Ante one of the development managers told me you have to actually put it in service mode to flash the car, so I did and it actually loaded to 100% and then failed.. So he asked me what software I had and he said that's older software so he sent me the newest version 5.8v.. I just loaded it to the gauge and the same thing is happening loads to 100 and then fails.. The problem is the gauge doesn't say service mode which I heard once to plug the obd in it should say that.. So my question to you guys is does anyone have the gauge and loaded BM3? What did you do or how? What version software does your gauge have? I'm about to remove it I've been dealing with this for over a week and my car has errors.. Also Ante from Awron isn't the nicest guy he gets mad when you suggest or ask to many questions.. any help would be awesome
Awron only displays SERVICE MODE in E-Chassis, F-Chassis is set in "passive mode". Haven't seen any BM3-related issues with Awron on my end.

Likely something else is going on. If the Awron was the issue, it would fail at 1%, as CAN is being accessed. At the very least, the Awron can be unplugged from the connector behind the display in a few minutes to completely remove it from the system - the center dash trim can be removed without tools.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Quote:
I'm still having issues flashing my car with BM3.. I'm guessing the gauge is the issue? The gauge originally had older software so when I went to flash the car it wouldn't flash any percent. So I contacted Awron and Ante one of the development managers told me you have to actually put it in service mode to flash the car, so I did and it actually loaded to 100% and then failed.. So he asked me what software I had and he said that's older software so he sent me the newest version 5.8v.. I just loaded it to the gauge and the same thing is happening loads to 100 and then fails.. The problem is the gauge doesn't say service mode which I heard once to plug the obd in it should say that.. So my question to you guys is does anyone have the gauge and loaded BM3? What did you do or how? What version software does your gauge have? I'm about to remove it I've been dealing with this for over a week and my car has errors.. Also Ante from Awron isn't the nicest guy he gets mad when you suggest or ask to many questions.. any help would be awesome
Awron only displays SERVICE MODE in E-Chassis, F-Chassis is set in "passive mode". Haven't seen any BM3-related issues with Awron on my end.

Likely something else is going on. If the Awron was the issue, it would fail at 1%, as CAN is being accessed. At the very least, the Awron can be unplugged from the connector behind the display in a few minutes to completely remove it from the system - the center dash trim can be removed without tools.
That's what I'm thinking can't be the gauge bc before I had it in active mode it won't load at all now when I put it passive it loads.. BM3 is blaming the gauge
2018 F80 M3 ZCP Mineral White- Extended Shakir Orange - Full Suntek Ultra Wrapped - ///M Performance Spoiler - RKP Front Lip - RKP Side Skirts - Vorsteiner GTS Diffuser -AA Mid-Pipe-///M performance HAS kit - HRE P101

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
That's what I'm thinking can't be the gauge bc before I had it in active mode it won't load at all now when I put it passive it loads.. BM3 is blaming the gauge
It's possible, depends on "passive" passive mode is. Try unplugging the gauge (easier than uninstalling) and see if results are different.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #5
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Disconnecting from the gauge itself (center trim ) is good enough? Just unplug it from the back? I tried uninstalling it from the passenger footwell and it looked complicated to many wires so I gave up lol

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Disconnecting from the gauge itself (center trim ) is good enough? Just unplug it from the back? I tried uninstalling it from the passenger footwell and it looked complicated to many wires so I gave up lol
Yep, the harness is not wired gateway style - so you can temporarily disconnect the display safely.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #7
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, the harness is not wired gateway style - so you can temporarily disconnect the display safely.
Ok I'll try that, thanks Tom

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 10:57 PM   #8
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:

Hi,
Have never had my Awron updated , it goes into service mode.
Plug ethernet cable into obd port and wait to see if it goes into service mode before plugging other end into your laptop, if it does then there is no fault with your Awron.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:14 PM   #9
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvyn View Post
Quote:

Hi,
Plug ethernet cable into obd port and wait to see if it goes into service mode before plugging other end into your laptop, if it does then there is no fault with your Awron.
And if it doesn't?

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 11:41 PM   #10
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi,
And if it doesn't?
I'm starting to wonder if the gauge was not installed correctly. As the OP said, lots of connections and the Awron directions are riddled with errors. I'm wondering if one of the several connections required was not done correctly.
      03-23-2019, 04:09 AM   #11
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Set your communication mode to 'passive' in the Awron settings when you ignition on. Then run the BM3 software. I also couldn't access my ECU prior to this setting. Neither does mine go into service mode automatically but I'm inclined to think that what Tom from EAS says is true. They have done tons of installations for the Awron so I trust him.

Also, the communication mode is reverted back to active once you switch off the car and restart it. So if you have to access the ECU again, you have to go back into the Awron settings and set the communication mode back to passive again.

I have full functionality of my Awron and everything works. I also was stumbled why I didn't go into service mode initially only for Tom to kindly confirm passive mode has to be set and service mode only displays on E series. If it displays on the F80, chances are you could be running on an older software cause I know mine is the latest one from the Awron website. And it doesn't show service mode automatically when connecting to the OBD.

Awron is pretty horrible with their support, emailed them twice to send me updated instructions for ZCP wiring even though Tom has posted it in the Awron thread. I just wanted to confirm as well if the wiring is right but till today Awron hasn't emailed me anything nor have they updated their installation guide on their side for ZCP cars which apparently have a slightly different pinout of the FEMBODY.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by satinghostrider; 03-23-2019 at 04:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #12
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi,
And if it doesn't?
I'm starting to wonder if the gauge was not installed correctly. As the OP said, lots of connections and the Awron directions are riddled with errors. I'm wondering if one of the several connections required was not done correctly.
Possible but I doubt it went to a reputable shop to install it..

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #13
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinghostrider View Post
Set your communication mode to 'passive' in the Awron settings when you ignition on. Then run the BM3 software. I also couldn't access my ECU prior to this setting. Neither does mine go into service mode automatically but I'm inclined to think that what Tom from EAS says is true. They have done tons of installations for the Awron so I trust him.

Also, the communication mode is reverted back to active once you switch off the car and restart it. So if you have to access the ECU again, you have to go back into the Awron settings and set the communication mode back to passive again.

I have full functionality of my Awron and everything works. I also was stumbled why I didn't go into service mode initially only for Tom to kindly confirm passive mode has to be set and service mode only displays on E series. If it displays on the F80, chances are you could be running on an older software cause I know mine is the latest one from the Awron website. And it doesn't show service mode automatically when connecting to the OBD.

Awron is pretty horrible with their support, emailed them twice to send me updated instructions for ZCP wiring even though Tom has posted it in the Awron thread. I just wanted to confirm as well if the wiring is right but till today Awron hasn't emailed me anything nor have they updated their installation guide on their side for ZCP cars which apparently have a slightly different pinout of the FEMBODY.

Hope this helps...
I did that already I put the comm mode from active to passive there isn't a service mode unless you mean passive is service mode, which I did.. I honestly think it's not the gauge bc it it were it wouldn't load at all..

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #14
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps...
I did that already I put the comm mode from active to passive there isn't a service mode unless you mean passive is service mode, which I did.. I honestly think it's not the gauge bc it it were it wouldn't load at all..
That's what I meant. There isn't a service mode per se. Passive mode is what service mode is on the F80 Awron gauges.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps...
That's what I meant. There isn't a service mode per se. Passive mode is what service mode is on the F80 Awron gauges.
Yea I did that, it loads to 100% than it says finishing up and then fails.. before I knew that part it wouldn't load at all..

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:56 AM   #16
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Did you get your DME updated at the dealer recently?

Isn't there is a thread about the Bootloader got updated recently and the current version of BM3 cannot unlock the DME anymore?

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1593312&page=2
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #17
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Did you get your DME updated at the dealer recently?

Isn't there is a thread about the Bootloader got updated recently and the current version of BM3 cannot unlock the DME anymore?

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...312&page=2
We don't have the same issue mine loads to 100 says finishing up then fails.. His doesn't load at all not the same.. yes took my car for service in few months ago just for 10k miles service.
Quote:
Quote:
Ok did that and still it was t success failed after 100%

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #18
melvyn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
And if it doesn't?
Then there must be something wrong with your Awron.Have you tried disconecting the Awron.

I see now that you have tired that.Are you running the BM3 program on Google Chrome, I had issues untill PTF advised to use Chrome, end of my probs.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #19
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
And if it doesn't?
Then there must be something wrong with your Awron.Have you tried disconecting the Awron.

I see now that you have tired that.Are you running the BM3 program on Google Chrome, I had issues untill PTF advised to use Chrome, end of my probs.
I disconnected it like Tom advised still nothing.. yes I'm also using google chrome.. I don't understand how it's the gauge if it's communicating all the way to 100%? Doesn't add up.. The guys at bootmod3 advised me to remove it completely but how did others get the car flashed with the gauge?

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #20
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
I disconnected it like Tom advised still nothing.. yes I'm also using google chrome.. I don't understand how it's the gauge if it's communicating all the way to 100%? Doesn't add up.. The guys at bootmod3 advised me to remove it completely but how did others get the car flashed with the gauge?
If the gauge was interrupting the flash, it would fail at 1%. Removing it eliminates the Awron as a variable. Any other devices installed in the vehicle?

If not, go into your C:\Program Files\bootmod3 folder and drag the [YOUR VIN].coding file within the folder onto the desktop (don't delete it) and let the BM3 agent build another .coding file for you. There's a chance it may be corrupted.

Last edited by tom @ eas; 03-23-2019 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:32 PM   #21
kerkiraios00
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If the gauge was interrupting the flash, it would fail at 1%. Removing it eliminates the Awron as a variable. Any other devices installed in the vehicle?

If not, go into your C:\Program Files\bootmod3 folder and drag the [YOUR VIN].coding file within the folder onto the desktop (don't delete it) and let the BM3 agent build another .coiding file for you. There's a chance it may be corrupted.
Thanks for the reply Tom.. So drag the yourvin coding file onto the desktop and what open the bootmod3 agent again? And it will build another automatically?

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #22
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Tom.. So drag the yourvin coding file onto the desktop and what open the bootmod3 agent again? And it will build another automatically?
Correct.

Appreciate 0