INDustry distribution
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-31-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
calubi
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Rusted caliper bleeder

I just tried to bleed my brakes getting ready for an upcoming track day, and noticed the driver side rear caliper bleeder valve is rusted through. I can still get it to loosen, but I end up with fluid coming out through the threads instead of the top of the valve.

So, two questions:

1. What would cause one specific bleeder valve to rust through? I double checked all of the others, and they're all fine. No rust visible, bleeds fine. The car is driven in the winter in the midwest, so salt is always a concern, but it's weird to only have it affect one valve and not the others.

2. I bought some replacement bleeder valves from ECS. Is there anything special I need to do while swapping the valve? I'm worried I'll have residual rust dust in the threads, mixing with the brake fluid. Of course I'll bleed the system thoroughly afterwards, but I don't like the idea of rust in my brake lines for even a tiny bit a time. Or am I just over-thinking this?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0