Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

08-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #23
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I agree... it is hard to generalize. I have boiled stock fluid once on an E92 M3 and also on the C63 coupe. I run Castrol SRF every event now simply for piece of mind... boil the fluid once and it is not a particularly "fun" experience so the cost of fluid is cheap insurance. For me, high temp fluid and pads are needed. I will run SS lines too but am not convinced I need to... again, simply cheap insurance IMO.

The ONE thing that NEEDS to work each and every time and in a consistent manner at a track are the brakes
Agreed on not generalizing, from my experience, brake performance is *extremely* dependent on the track, your skill and your tires (assuming you are threshold braking where you should be). Without getting vehicle specific, a track that is low speed, undulating and with lots of brake zones will be hard on brakes (for me Waterford Hills)...whereas a big track with long straights and high speeds can be easy on the brakes (for me Mid-Ohio). In my experience the main factor here is the additional rotor cooling you get on long fast straights.

So in conclusion, YMMV and you need to be cognizant of *your* setup and how it's performing on *your" track with *you* driving. I think factory fluid and pads will always be a weak link. Certainly doesn't hurt to try one event on your stock system, just be ready to dial it down if you start to feel fade. Some pads don't play nice with others (carbotech's for example), so getting a dedicated pad setup can become expensive if you also want a compatible street pad to switch after the event.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #24
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Does anyone know what the stock brake fluid is? I remember reading someone got the warranty regarding brakes denied because he had fluid different color than the factory one. I am planning on doing it on my own but would like to go with a safe one if other than factory spec fluid.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:43 AM   #25
priceVob
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

оо

По моему мнению Вас обманули, как ребёнка.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:47 AM   #26
priceVob
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

оо

Умница
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #27
Nadeemp8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

The stock pads are good for beginners, but as you get into them harder the stock pads won't be able to withstand the heat and will soften and leave deposits all over your rotors. Never good to have melting pads, so I'd say put on a good high temp track pad and you should be in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #28
tchiers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
Does anyone know what the stock brake fluid is? I remember reading someone got the warranty regarding brakes denied because he had fluid different color than the factory one. I am planning on doing it on my own but would like to go with a safe one if other than factory spec fluid.
My guess would be something from Pentosin since BWM uses them for many other fluids.

Really, though as long as you avoid ATE SuperBlue, nobody is going to notice any color change. I would recommend ATE TYP200.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #29
Parabolica
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 ZCP 6MT

Does anyone use Hawk pads? I've always liked the Ht-10's although not for a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #30
humpday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
Not all service departments are the same. My SA was cool with swapping brake fluid for me; he just had me bring in my fluid of choice (Castrol SRF). My warranty is intact.

Agree with everyone: stock brakes are great. I upgraded to Endless ME20, which are better. Never tried Pagids, which seem to be the brake pad of choice on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #31
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpday View Post
Not all service departments are the same. My SA was cool with swapping brake fluid for me; he just had me bring in my fluid of choice (Castrol SRF). My warranty is intact.

Agree with everyone: stock brakes are great. I upgraded to Endless ME20, which are better. Never tried Pagids, which seem to be the brake pad of choice on this forum.
I am going to try the ATE 200 which I use for my Miata so I should be safe anyways.

Pagid works good but not streetable due to noise. It seems like Carbotech has streetable track pads.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 05:36 AM   #32
ATX_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Current, G80 Comp - IOMG, Form

Motul and Carbotech XP8 pads up front. Pads are great on track (COTA) but pretty miserable on street (dust is higher (expected) but the noise rivals a school bus!)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #33
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

Suggestions for a novice with 3 HPDE in last 1.5 years? Want to try better pads than stock next time. Should I try to swap them myself or let a local shop do it?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #34
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

Motul 600 - bleed before each event, Ferodo DS1.11 all around
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #35
humpday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstone View Post
Suggestions for a novice with 3 HPDE in last 1.5 years? Want to try better pads than stock next time. Should I try to swap them myself or let a local shop do it?
Swapping the pads is very very easy. Just did it this AM (track pads to OEM). Below is a link to a video on how to do it. You just need a hammer and pin punch:

The only thing to keep in mind is that the front driver wheel and passenger rear wheel have the brake sensors. You'll need to pull them off the OEM brakes and zip tie them to something else when you put in your track pads.
Appreciate 0