EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #243
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Well, cut the crap and lets talk about this......

http://www.autogespot.nl/porsche-cay...014/06/17#img1

Damn, what a car, that being said as a Bimmer "fanboy"

Mine is to be expected august 2nd-3th week.........yessssssss
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #244
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post

WoW!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #245
USE Z4S
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Tundra Crewmax Limited

Good looking Cayman!
      06-18-2014, 07:25 PM   #246
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:

Damn, what a car, that being said as a Bimmer "fanboy"

Mine is to be expected august 2nd-3th week.........yessssssss

Very nice! Same color as mine and it looks 98% identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USE Z4S View Post
"Fanboy" is used as an intentionally derogatory term.

Most people would not readily admit to that characterization of their position on a particular car/brand, but many exemplify the classic traits of "fan-boy-ism" nonetheless.
Are you sure you aren't coming off with these "classic traits"? Seems you have been the most off base here labeling people that aren't. Just sayin. Since you disregarded just about everything I said.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #247
USE Z4S
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
Well no one has driven the GTS either. But those who have driven a like minded Porsche vs a like minded BMW can already extrapolate which give you the purist of driving feel. Since I am one of those people, the Porsche absolutely wins. Hands up and down.
I'm not sure what's weaker, your ability to use logic or your reading comprehension? In any case, read my earlier post about your baseless opinion on the M4... And your "hands down" comment is pretty laughable.

Don't be so sensitive, Porsches and BMW's are both good cars. No need to start a pissing contest to justify paying the same for a car that is slower, less practical and not as good looking. Be secure in your decision even though you've never driven an M4.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #248
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Oh! All the armchair drivers lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #249
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerj
Oh! All the armchair drivers lol.
They're like ants!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #250
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure what's weaker, your ability to use logic or your reading comprehension? In any case, read my earlier post about your baseless opinion on the M4... And your "hands down" comment is pretty laughable.

Don't be so sensitive, Porsches and BMW's are both good cars. No need to start a pissing contest to justify paying the same for a car that is slower, less practical and not as good looking. Be secure in your decision even though you've never driven an M4.
Actually I started no pissing contest. The only posts with childish "fanboy" insults are yours. Comprehension is the problem here still. Not one person said any particular car was slower, or less practical. Remember, you first couldn't understand all the Porsche talk in a Porsche thread. That is where your sensitivity shined right through. Now that's laughable. I repeatedy stated I was a fan of the car NOT the company. In fact, I like many cars NOT BMW.

Also has nothing to do with insecurity on my part. I have both brands and have had many M cars.

But I have caught onto your forum technique. It involves jumping in with weak wit and generalizations. What was it you used in this thread? Confirmation bias, fanboy-ism, sensitivity, insecurity, etc? Did you really have to start a pissing contest to discuss the topic at hand? I mean we were discussing the M4 vs Cayman, then you came along and wondered why. Lol
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #251
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Damn, she's purdy. Congrats Romo. Beautiful car, and those red calipers pop against the body color. What's that gray called in Porsche speak?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #252
USE Z4S
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
Actually I started no pissing contest. The only posts with childish "fanboy" insults are yours. Comprehension is the problem here still. Not one person said any particular car was slower, or less practical. Remember, you first couldn't understand all the Porsche talk in a Porsche thread. That is where your sensitivity shined right through. Now that's laughable. I repeatedy stated I was a fan of the car NOT the company. In fact, I like many cars NOT BMW.

Also has nothing to do with insecurity on my part. I have both brands and have had many M cars.

But I have caught onto your forum technique. It involves jumping in with weak wit and generalizations. What was it you used in this thread? Confirmation bias, fanboy-ism, sensitivity, insecurity, etc? Did you really have to start a pissing contest to discuss the topic at hand? I mean we were discussing the M4 vs Cayman, then you came along and wondered why. Lol
Take a deep breath...

You are very defensive...

This is a BMW forum, yes? Agreed the thread is discussing the M4 vs. Cayman GTS and I personally think both cars (on paper and from reviews) seem pretty amazing, and I was on the fence between them before making my decision.

I admittedly inquired aloud about why a number of people seemed so unequivocal that the Porsche was better, when none had actually driven an M4--and this is a very logical query I might add.

I do find it interesting and highly amusing that the fanboy comment I made (and I did not specifically call anyone that, btw) ruffled so many feathers. You have to ask yourself why you would be so defensive and why you would find that comment so audacious if there was not some truth to that characterization... Perhaps the term "Brand inclined enthusiast" would be a more palatable euphemism for you?

Indeed, there are fanboys out there, and that's a pretty innocuous term. If you're certain the Porsche Cayman GTS is the better car (for whatever reason(s)), good for you! I don't care, and I'm not loyal in the slightest to either brand, having owned and driven both. But I will point out groundless assertions (for example driving dynamics, purist driving feel comments, etc.) as I see them.

In any case, relax. You'll live longer.
      06-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #253
mister2d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Take a deep breath...

You are very defensive...

This is a BMW forum, yes? Agreed the thread is discussing the M4 vs. Cayman GTS and I personally think both cars (on paper and from reviews) seem pretty amazing, and I was on the fence between them before making my decision.

I admittedly inquired aloud about why a number of people seemed so unequivocal that the Porsche was better, when none had actually driven an M4--and this is a very logical query I might add.

I do find it interesting and highly amusing that the fanboy comment I made (and I did not specifically call anyone that, btw) ruffled so many feathers. You have to ask yourself why you would be so defensive and why you would find that comment so audacious if there was not some truth to that characterization... Perhaps the term "Brand inclined enthusiast" would be a more palatable euphemism for you?

Indeed, there are fanboys out there, and that's a pretty innocuous term. If you're certain the Porsche Cayman GTS is the better car (for whatever reason(s)), good for you! I don't care, and I'm not loyal in the slightest to either brand, having owned and driven both. But I will point out groundless assertions (for example driving dynamics, purist driving feel comments, etc.) as I see them.

In any case, relax. You'll live longer.

Predictable response. Still trying to explain your insults and broad accusations and lacing it all in terms of calming down and relaxing. Wash rinse repeat. Yawn. How's that for relaxing? Didn't even require 6 paragraphs.

At any rate, the thread goes on.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #254
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
Damn, she's purdy. Congrats Romo. Beautiful car, and those red calipers pop against the body color. What's that gray called in Porsche speak?

Thanks, but thats not my car

Mine will be Sapphire Blue, PCCB with the yellow calipers, this pops even more

The grey in Porker speak; Agate Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #255
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Thanks, but thats not my car

Mine will be Sapphire Blue, PCCB with the yellow calipers, this pops even more

The grey in Porker speak; Agate Grey
Oh no! Not Sapphire Blue! That's horrible! j/k

Please post lots of pics when you get it. You must be counting the hours.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 06:40 PM   #256
christof30
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 320d Xdrive EstorilBlueII

cayman S < M4
      06-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #257
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Cayman S hands down for me brings a much larger smile to my face when I drive it compared to the m4. But it's not really a fair comparison in my eyes. If you want a sports car get the cayman if you want a four seater get the m3. M4 backseats are worthless for anyone over 5'.
      06-23-2014, 10:29 AM   #258
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
Cayman S hands down for me brings a much larger smile to my face when I drive it compared to the m4. But it's not really a fair comparison in my eyes. If you want a sports car get the cayman if you want a four seater get the m3. M4 backseats are worthless for anyone over 5'.
this sounds suspiciously like someone who has never driven the M4. how can you say the back seats are worthless. I had an e92 for over three years, and routinely had a friend of mine who is 6'2" in the back, and he always said he had plenty of room. and the f82 is only bigger, so that comment is flat out wrong.

however, you could say that for the 911, only you have to replace 5' with 3'.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #259
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
this sounds suspiciously like someone who has never driven the M4. how can you say the back seats are worthless. I had an e92 for over three years, and routinely had a friend of mine who is 6'2" in the back, and he always said he had plenty of room. and the f82 is only bigger, so that comment is flat out wrong.

however, you could say that for the 911, only you have to replace 5' with 3'.
I have driven the M4 and sat in the back seat to see how much room I had. It's not an issue with leg room its an issue with headroom. The M4 has a very angled back end which doesn't provide much headroom. I am 6'-1" and I had to tilt my head to the side in order to sit back there, wouldn't be terrible for a short commute but would be awful for a long one. I never had a headroom problem in my e92 either and can a 100% agree on the worthless back seats in the 911.
      06-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #260
Silvertige
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 e92 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW 535i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
I have driven the M4 and sat in the back seat to see how much room I had. It's not an issue with leg room its an issue with headroom. The M4 has a very angled back end which doesn't provide much headroom. I am 6'-1" and I had to tilt my head to the side in order to sit back there, wouldn't be terrible for a short commute but would be awful for a long one. I never had a headroom problem in my e92 either and can a 100% agree on the worthless back seats in the 911.
C'mon man, they're not worthless... if you have kids they're worth 30k lol... CS compared to 991 C2S pricing...
      07-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #261
Sparco
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 \ Future M2 Comp

As the story goes, these are the 2 cars I am contemplating. I have been fortunate enough to have test driven a very high spec M4 and just had a beautiful black/black come available although without the manual gearbox that I would prefer. My thoughts are these, is the M4 probably the better daily driver because of day to day engine characteristics, torque, etc?? I see a significant weight difference between both cars and a power to weight ratio that is splitting hairs between the two, cant help but think the M4 maybe the more FUN car to drive. Again, I have yet to drive the Cayman GTS nor do I truly need a back seat. However, looking at how I particularly drive, and the lack of cool roads to explore based on where I live, I'm beginning to lean towards the M4. I am curious on how long this thread has become, what are the thoughts out there on strictly comparing the 2 cars based on fun to drive, etc. Opinions would be very appreciated
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #262
Milban
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 ordered

Yes, Mr Sparko, "Fun to Drive", is the Heart of the decision. Fwiw- I started, months ago, with two M4's on order, DCT & 6 spd. Took a 6spd Cayman S for a spin, along w a 991 S DCT. The 6spd Cayman was FUN! Ordered one.
The DCT M4 arrived, took it for a spin, WOW, a gregarious launch platform!! For me, the torque was way fun, but the DCT was interesting, but, didn't add to the fun, like the 6spd. Then I started to ponder how to add some of that power fun, with the Porsche fun, and add a bit of back seat for my pooch, easy storage, or an occasional emergency passenger. So I drove a 991 4S 7spd (might as well add some winter capability). Nice, very fun car! So far, I can't sign up for expensive options on the Porsche, so, I'm ready to order a C4S 7 Spd stripper, triple black, and very excited about it. But now, I know, that when the 6pd M4 arrives, I'll be driving and pondering a rocket ship full of awesome tech w the fun of a 6 spd!, against a wicked fun awd legend that is a bit more gorgeous! I don't know know what will happen for me, I suggest test rides for you. Enjoy the process! And post, ->"Details at Eleven"
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 10:23 AM   #263
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

No GTS has been delivered yet, so it is hard to provide meaningful opinion comparative to M4. The 981 platform is really superb for daily driving, the chassis and engine are at a very mature state at this time, there is very few, if any, negatives I can think about. F8x platform is still an unknown, long ways to go before it will reach maturity. So, IMHO, it really comes down to mostly subjective selection criteria about design, practicality, desirability, branding, affordability, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #264
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep

The main reason not buying an M4 for me is merely its size.

It is too bulky, clunky to me (with all due respect for other opinions)

No doubt being a great daily driver, fast as no M3-4 before, more HP and torque then ever.

Now that is exactly why I`m keeping the 1M, and bought a GTS as a companion.

Size, weight, that is what determines real driving fun, not sheer HP IMHO;

Look at this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...&v=N9Gev8G9o5Y

In no way I`m suggesting the Bimmer is a lesser car then the Porker, both great, great cars, the very best in German engineering, but with a different focus.

Well, now I have both
Appreciate 0