Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #1
jcieutat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Alignment issues

I purchased a 2018 M4 with the competition package 2 months ago. Since taking the car home, I have noticed that the car pulls to the right. I have taken it to a local shop that does import alignments and the car and the alignment was off to which they brought back into factory specs. The shop stated that the front passenger wheel's caster seems to be off enough to cause the car to pull the the right. After the first visit, they called the nearest BMW dealership who sent over camber bolts that do nothing to address the issue. Tires are basically new and all have the same amount of air in them. I didn't notice this on the test drive because I actually went to the dealership to buy a M3 but that car had a few cosmetic issues that caused me to walk away from it. I didn't take the M4 on a proper test drive where I probably would have noticed it. It is what it is but I would like the car to drive straight! I have attached the alignment specs from the local shop. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf M4 alignment 07032021.pdf (2.12 MB, 112 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #2
dodospor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 bmw m4

there is steering wheel update for that , might fix ur issue , contact alex alpine and he can help you with that
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

That shop did a shitty alignment...

Quick and easy, get all sides green and return to customer... You cant even say they actually did any work since there is no before measurements.... They should've matched the rear neg camber and the front and rear toe side to side at the very least.

The rear toe is barely in spec... I recommend you get more rear toe in, at least .1 each side for total toe in of .2 or more

If the car is just for street, you could probably decrease the rear neg camber to -1.5.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #4
Ant_tc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 30 Jahre

Having more negative camber/higher caster on the driver side is going to make your car pull right.. and that is not adjustable stock. If you want to correct the issue you’re going to need GC front camber/caster plates.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 11:47 PM   #5
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcieutat View Post
I purchased a 2018 M4 with the competition package 2 months ago. Since taking the car home, I have noticed that the car pulls to the right. I have taken it to a local shop that does import alignments and the car and the alignment was off to which they brought back into factory specs. The shop stated that the front passenger wheel's caster seems to be off enough to cause the car to pull the the right. After the first visit, they called the nearest BMW dealership who sent over camber bolts that do nothing to address the issue. Tires are basically new and all have the same amount of air in them. I didn't notice this on the test drive because I actually went to the dealership to buy a M3 but that car had a few cosmetic issues that caused me to walk away from it. I didn't take the M4 on a proper test drive where I probably would have noticed it. It is what it is but I would like the car to drive straight! I have attached the alignment specs from the local shop. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
You want toe in for the rear, not toe out. Rear toe like that could lower your stability in straight line performance. Toe out in the front would help with turn in.

Front Caster and Camber is not adjustable by factory but typically you want more camber in the front than in the rear. Try dialing out camber in the rear, closer to -1.2~-1.3. Reason being is that more rear camber causes understeer, rear camber doesn't change much on turn in, but in the front it does, as you are cornering, the tire will "stand up".

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0