European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

ground control plates (end up being noisy or not)?

Hi Guys,

Just inquiring with those running GC camber plates. Do the plates eventually get noisy after a while of street driving? (couple thousand miles). if so what kind of noises do you typically hear.

When I mean noise, I mean when the bearing starts to wear down.

Thanks,
Steve
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 11:55 PM   #2
melanthius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I've probably had them for 5000 miles or something, I never noticed any noise
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 01:51 AM   #3
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

No noise here
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 04:55 PM   #4
eggrolls76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB F80 M3

plates starting making a creaking noise, almost like a pirate ship creak after about 15k miles on them. Also starting to click while turning at low speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #5
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggrolls76 View Post
plates starting making a creaking noise, almost like a pirate ship creak after about 15k miles on them. Also starting to click while turning at low speed.
When was the last time you cleaned and grease your plates?
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 10:46 PM   #6
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
My driver side one started making a creaking sound when I turn the steering wheel and when the ambient temps get warm.
      06-24-2021, 11:10 PM   #7
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

My front driver's side failed about 2 weeks after install (brand new). GC sent me a new slider w/ bearing and I have no more clunks now. This is what it sounds like:

06-24-2021, 11:16 PM   #8
eggrolls76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
About a month ago, lasts for a couple of days, then right back to it. It does get worse as the ambient temp rises.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #9
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

I've had mine for about 10-15k miles. I only get a bit more than OEM clunking over truly horrendous roads, otherwise they're nice and quiet.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #10
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
About a month ago, lasts for a couple of days, then right back to it. It does get worse as the ambient temp rises.
Maybe try re-tightening your top nut? Sounds like something is loose. Had that happen to me.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 08:22 PM   #11
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 CS

I installed GC plates about 6k miles ago. Recently started major creaking / grinding on slow speed turns and now its gotten worse. Any time I even touch the steering wheel, it creaks/grinds and also clicks.

This is unacceptable. Anything I can try before giving up on GC and going elsewhere? How does one clean / grease the bearing since I thought they were sealed bearings in the strut tops?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 10:34 PM   #12
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
I installed GC plates about 6k miles ago. Recently started major creaking / grinding on slow speed turns and now its gotten worse. Any time I even touch the steering wheel, it creaks/grinds and also clicks.

This is unacceptable. Anything I can try before giving up on GC and going elsewhere? How does one clean / grease the bearing since I thought they were sealed bearings in the strut tops?
That doesn't sound normal.

Try using an impact to tighten the top nut. Also spray some WD-40 silicone lube on the top bearing.

Make sure to blast out any dirt with air before doing the above.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 11:11 PM   #13
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Try using an impact to tighten the top nut. Also spray some WD-40 silicone lube on the top bearing.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Where do you spray the top bearing from? It doesn’t seem like the top bearing is accessible from the top side where you adjust the camber plates. Do you have to dis-assemble the struts and get to the bearing from underneath?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 11:29 PM   #14
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Where do you spray the top bearing from? It doesn’t seem like the top bearing is accessible from the top side where you adjust the camber plates. Do you have to dis-assemble the struts and get to the bearing from underneath?
Spray it around the top nut area… there is a bearing below that

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #15
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

18k miles and no noise. Paired with MCS 2WR suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:00 AM   #16
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

I tried this (sprayed dry silicone lube at the bottom of the 22mm strut top nuts), retorqued the strut top nuts, retorqued the strut pinch bolts (the 16mm bolt). It seems to have quietened down the left strut but right one is still just as bad - creaking/clicking/mild grinding noise while turning both while stationary and at slow speeds.

I am contacting GC today to see about options. I am preparing for the worst case which is to get Millway street plates that are going to be available Aug 25th (I believe they are updating the design of it as we speak). It reuses OEM strut top bearing which is a draw for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #17
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it.

I tried this (sprayed dry silicone lube at the bottom of the 22mm strut top nuts), retorqued the strut top nuts, retorqued the strut pinch bolts (the 16mm bolt). It seems to have quietened down the left strut but right one is still just as bad - creaking/clicking/mild grinding noise while turning both while stationary and at slow speeds.

I am contacting GC today to see about options. I am preparing for the worst case which is to get Millway street plates that are going to be available Aug 25th (I believe they are updating the design of it as we speak). It reuses OEM strut top bearing which is a draw for me.
It sounds like you may need to remove the plate to clean it out. It's definitely dirt that's causing the noise. I've had that issue before.

I would grease the hell out of them if you take it apart for cleaning.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #18
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It sounds like you may need to remove the plate to clean it out. It's definitely dirt that's causing the noise. I've had that issue before.

This is where the complete utter lack of instructions from GC is starting to wear on me.

Where do you grease the camber plate? When I installed it, I did not use any grease whatsoever because there were no instructions. I assumed that the bearing is fully sealed and there is nothing to grease.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:35 PM   #19
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is where the complete utter lack of instructions from GC is starting to wear on me.

Where do you grease the camber plate? When I installed it, I did not use any grease whatsoever because there were no instructions. I assumed that the bearing is fully sealed and there is nothing to grease.
I would start with greasing anything that has contact with each other. Bottom of the camber plate where it meets with the rubber isolator then grease the rubber on both sides so there is grease between the spring and rubber then rubber meets top hat. Use something water proof.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #20
IVM3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

The bearing definitely is not fully sealed as mine came apart when I was messing around with it before install. You can separate the two pieces and there's grease in there too.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 05:49 AM   #21
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

hellokitty thanks for your thoughts. Here's an update - I contacted Ground Control, sent them the video clip showing the noise and they are sending me new bearings under warranty. Since Millway isn't available till Aug 25th anyway, I think I will give GC one more shot with the new bearings - will take everything apart and clean and grease and re-install with new bearings and see how long that lasts.

Will post an update.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #22
MetalsMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Gray M3

Mine were noisy - Swapped to TC Klines and I'm happy I did. Only problem with the TC Klines is that you have to remove the carbon fiber cross member and the alum strut tower brace to adjust camber
Appreciate 0