ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #1
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: %C2%9118 F80 ZCP

Breaking up ceramic coating process over multi weekends

So I really want to ceramic coat my car the official way. I've done a wash, light clay, and apply Chemical Guys HydroSlick before and that worked really well but it only lasted about 7-9 months before it went away. So for results based on ease I think it's a winner.

But I want to do a more prosumer level of application now, and I'm wondering if the process could be broken up over multiple weekends and if done right you get 90-95% of the same results. I just don't have the committed time to spend 2-3 days in the garage and driveway, what with kids and family activities. Plus I question how tired I'll be at the end of a single long weekend and misapply the ceramic for some reason…

Any tips on breaking up the process?

Last edited by Nativetexan; 07-17-2021 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 10:29 PM   #2
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

I am not a "professional" detailer but have experience with different products & my thoughts follow.

Do you have another car or is it your daily?

If it's your daily, I wouldn't recommend it.

If it is just sitting idle in between, I think it's feasible. Just make sure you work strategically (maybe panel by panel) and use Panel Wipe, Prep or a like product prior to each session. I would also be mindful of how you store the coating & curing times.

Out of curiosity - What product or products are you considering?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #3
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
When I ceramic coated my car, - especially the second coat and then topper coat - and had a full work schedule and small kid, I would break it up by panel. When i'd come back to the car after a day or two, I'd used 40% alcohol and water, and clean off each panel with a fresh microfiber towel before applying the coating. I'd be able to do it that way over a couple weeks when I had only an hour or two of free time.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #4
kindafrosty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 F80 / ‘08 E83

Yes you can panel by panel, but you run the risk of repeating steps and further damaging your clear coat if you drive daily during the process without protection.

Also, it's highly recommended you polish the car to enhance gloss and remove scratches/marring before sealing with ceramic coating, which forms a semi-permanent bond.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #5
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagR2611 View Post
I am not a "professional" detailer but have experience with different products & my thoughts follow.

Do you have another car or is it your daily?

If it's your daily, I wouldn't recommend it.

If it is just sitting idle in between, I think it's feasible. Just make sure you work strategically (maybe panel by panel) and use Panel Wipe, Prep or a like product prior to each session. I would also be mindful of how you store the coating & curing times.

Out of curiosity - What product or products are you considering?
It’s my daily.

I’m contemplating Gtechnique Lite to do the wheels and car in.

It sounds like I should just do one or two panels every time I wash my car, and after 4-5 washes I can have the entire car done…
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 05:58 AM   #6
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

If full ceramic is difficult timing/curing wise, maybe look at something like Gyeon Cancoat as a compromise?
      07-24-2021, 11:34 PM   #7
JagR2611
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjo View Post
If full ceramic is difficult timing/curing wise, maybe look at something like Gyeon Cancoat as a compromise?
Quote:
Sound advice
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #8
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'm knee deep in now.

Washed this morning, and then clayed the roof, trunk, and hood during lunch.

This evening I compounded the hood, and polished the roof and trunk.

This better be worth it…
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 07:34 PM   #9
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Lol, the chase to perfection bug has taken hold…
      07-30-2021, 08:47 PM   #10
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've seen people recommending a 7-day period post application during which you should completely avoid all chemicals including soap and isopropyl solution. At that rate I'd plan to leave the car garaged and undriven to ensure you don't get road grime, others errant washer fluid, and bird shit on it. Dangerous game to perfect a ceramic coating…but prolly overkill standard there
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 09:10 PM   #11
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
All I think about is cutting corners lol.

So far I’ve, washed and clayed the entire car. Then I compounded the hood by hand, stopped and bought a Torq off Amazon (I hate Bezos flying in space, but thank you for one day shipping).

Tomorrow I plan to spend a couple hours polishing. probably 30-45 minutes wipe down…

Then the application begins. I’m a bit nervous doing the car in 1’x1’ sections will take FOREVER…I live in Texas and it’ll 90 degrees by 10am, so I gotta apparently apply the coat and literally wipe it off immediately.

My back and shoulders are killing me already haha.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 10:40 AM   #12
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
I've seen people recommending a 7-day period post application during which you should completely avoid all chemicals including soap and isopropyl solution. At that rate I'd plan to leave the car garaged and undriven to ensure you don't get road grime, others errant washer fluid, and bird shit on it. Dangerous game to perfect a ceramic coating…but prolly overkill standard there
I plan on just letting it cure for 12-24 hours and then I'm moving on with my life : )
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2021, 11:42 AM   #13
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativetexan View Post
Quote:
All I think about is cutting corners lol.

So far I’ve, washed and clayed the entire car. Then I compounded the hood by hand, stopped and bought a Torq off Amazon (I hate Bezos flying in space, but thank you for one day shipping).

Tomorrow I plan to spend a couple hours polishing. probably 30-45 minutes wipe down…

Then the application begins. I’m a bit nervous doing the car in 1’x1’ sections will take FOREVER…I live in Texas and it’ll 90 degrees by 10am, so I gotta apparently apply the coat and literally wipe it off immediately.

My back and shoulders are killing me already haha.
You can generally apply quite a bit of ceramic for each load up of the applicator. 1/4 to 1/2 of a panel depending on the product and panel. The stuff really does go a long way and you'll be bored of doing it by the 3rd pass 😆
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 10:01 PM   #14
ONEof500
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativetexan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
I plan on just letting it cure for 12-24 hours and then I'm moving on with my life : )
Totally fine to drive. Keep it dry for 24 don't wash with soap for a week
Appreciate 0