Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
getufit
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

"Selector lever malfunction" Error

This warning came up. And then a list of other malfunctions came up...Lane departure malfunction forward collision malfunction and even my window started going up and down about an inch. It’s happened about three or four times and every time I pull over and after I let it sit I restarted it and it works fine for a few days. Took it to BMW and they say they need to replace the FEM (Front electronics module).Has anyone dealt with something like this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by getufit View Post
This warning came up. And then a list of other malfunctions came up...Lane departure malfunction forward collision malfunction and even my window started going up and down about an inch. It’s happened about three or four times and every time I pull over and after I let it sit I restarted it and it works fine for a few days. Took it to BMW and they say they need to replace the FEM (Front electronics module).Has anyone dealt with something like this?
Is your car out of warranty? If so, how much do they want to replace it? If not, why didn't you let them do it?

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #3
SMGCFP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F82 M4 '23 G05 x40i MSport

Hi. From what I gather, you're trying to ascertain whether someone else has had an identical problem, or whether yours is the only one. I think someone else on here had a battery melt his whole car, and his was the only one. His car was totaled. He believed the dealership when they told them that.

Now, your situation seems a little more minor, and maybe run of the mill. So far, no one has posted a similar experience, so it may be an outlier. The dealer seems to know what's wrong. Unless there's a reason you want to leave it broken, you should have the dealer (or someone else qualified), fix it. This is like going on WebMD hoping someone will tell you your car isn't sick. It's probably sick, it needs medicine, give it medicine.

Not being snarky, but the all caps responses won't engender you to this crowd.

Oh and I like that you listen to HairNation!!
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410954.50
      03-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #4
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I just read that the dealer said to replace the FEM. This will probably be correct and I guess that they read out the fault code. The SZL unit sends the signals of the paddles to a control module within the FEM.
Not so easy to do yourself since it requires programming (ISTA/P).

Last edited by G4BR13L; 03-20-2019 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #5
getufit
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGCFP View Post
Hi. From what I gather, you're trying to ascertain whether someone else has had an identical problem, or whether yours is the only one. I think someone else on here had a battery melt his whole car, and his was the only one. His car was totaled. He believed the dealership when they told them that.

Now, your situation seems a little more minor, and maybe run of the mill. So far, no one has posted a similar experience, so it may be an outlier. The dealer seems to know what's wrong. Unless there's a reason you want to leave it broken, you should have the dealer (or someone else qualified), fix it. This is like going on WebMD hoping someone will tell you your car isn't sick. It's probably sick, it needs medicine, give it medicine.

Not being snarky, but the all caps responses won't engender you to this crowd.

Oh and I like that you listen to HairNation!!
Misunderstanding...I am getting the FEM replaced but I saw some others with this problem get the shifter assembly replaced. Just checking. Thanks for the response. And 80s hair bands still rock.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
G4BR13L
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by getufit View Post
Misunderstanding...I am getting the FEM replaced but I saw some others with this problem get the shifter assembly replaced. Just checking. Thanks for the response. And 80s hair bands still rock.
In other models maybe but in the Fx series it is ultimately a control unit within the FEM module and BMW replaces the entire FEM module.
Appreciate 0