Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #595
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kss View Post
When I bought my Austin yellow M3 ZCP (full leather), there was a java green M4 ZCP and as much as I loved the Java green, there was no way in hell I’d even consider buying it - because it had cloth seats.

I see some here like cloth, but IMO, BMW is a luxury brand and every car should come with leather. But i do think BMW has the worst leather. I think the Merino leather I’ve got is no where near as nice as the leather in the Audi’s and MB’s I was looking at. I also liked the M2C, but I know I couldn’t live with the crap rubber they call Dakota leather - I had that in my 335xi and will never buy a car with that crap again.
I agree 100% about the rubbery, lizard skin nature of the Dakota. One might as well get leatherette.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 04:01 AM   #596
SuckM3
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: M4 (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Unique doesn't always/traditionally sell well/easily, so again, I caution you with entering into your purchase with that mindset. After all, you're choosing an off color green potentially with cloth seats. The prospective market for potential buyers will undoubtedly be small.

Buy it because you want it. Buy it with the understanding that it may not have the perceived value to others that it has to you, and thus, may be harder to sell should you ever decide to. Only you can make the decision about whether or not cloth will be satisfactory for you. There aren't really any pros or cons; there's no right or wrong. What's a negative to one person (...leather upkeep) may not be to another person. What may be considered a cheap alternative that takes the premium out of a car like the ///M3/4 (...cloth) may be seen as a plus to a self proclaimed "purist". At the end of the day, only you know what you'll be happy driving. Listening to strangers' opinions not only keeps you from being true to yourself, but it could ultimately end up being a financial/emotional disappointment.

If resale was/is a major concern, look no further than Alpine White, Black or one of the blues......all with black leather. Your buyer's pool would be large.
Thank you sir, your suggestion is very much apreciated. I completely understand your point and trust me that reselling is not my main motivator. Of course i want the car to be as i want it. my concern is, like i mentioned, that i have never seen cloth seats in person so i cant really decide by personal experience. I might go with leather after all..

To your point about pool of possible buyers: frommy limited experience i see it differently. i always had invidual color and i always found crazy petrol head who was willing to pay extra just for the color he wanted. Point being all these black and white cars can be usually sold only for the market price. Although this might be different here in EU.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 06:12 AM   #597
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
When I bought my Austin yellow M3 ZCP (full leather), there was a java green M4 ZCP and as much as I loved the Java green, there was no way in hell I’d even consider buying it - because it had cloth seats.

I see some here like cloth, but IMO, BMW is a luxury brand and every car should come with leather. But i do think BMW has the worst leather. I think the Merino leather I’ve got is no where near as nice as the leather in the Audi’s and MB’s I was looking at. I also liked the M2C, but I know I couldn’t live with the crap rubber they call Dakota leather - I had that in my 335xi and will never buy a car with that crap again.
What is so "luxurious" about the F80??
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 06:35 AM   #598
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckM4 View Post
Quote:
Don't purchase for some perceived resale value because you'll likely be disappointed. Buy what you want because you want it.
You see that is the problem, i dont know what i want when it comes to seats i have never seen cloth seats for f82 in person and while i like the looks of it and the supposed comfort, i like leather as well for its more luxury feel. i am just looking for small pros and cons to help me decide.
Sounds like the final step before making your final decision is to go see (and sit in) the seats in person. Not sure where you are located, but finding a new F82 on the lot with cloth seats is not impossible. You may even be able to find a used one as well. In my area you can still find some on new dealer lots. At least that way, you can make a truly informed decision

I have the cloth seats and love them, BTW. And after 42k+ miles they are holding up strong and still look essentially new IMHO. One other thing to remember regarding the cloth seats is the leather trim on the side bolsters. IIRC, the leather used with the cloth seats is Dakota leather, not Merino leather (others please correct me if I am wrong). But bottom line, the leather that comes with the cloth seats is more durable than the full leather seats. That means all things being equal, side bolster wear on the cloth seats should be better. Again, my leather side bolsters are in great condition after 42k+ miles...

Good luck...

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #599
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drF80 View Post
Bmw is a luxury brand. Having full leather (dash panel), heated seats, heated steering, HUD and a great infotainment/Nav system. Granted these days you can get the same features in a Hyundai.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 07:59 AM   #600
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Still loving my cloth seats, FWIW.
      09-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #601
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Quote:
Unique doesn't always/traditionally sell well/easily, so again, I caution you with entering into your purchase with that mindset. After all, you're choosing an off color green potentially with cloth seats. The prospective market for potential buyers will undoubtedly be small.

Buy it because you want it. Buy it with the understanding that it may not have the perceived value to others that it has to you, and thus, may be harder to sell should you ever decide to. Only you can make the decision about whether or not cloth will be satisfactory for you. There aren't really any pros or cons; there's no right or wrong. What's a negative to one person (...leather upkeep) may not be to another person. What may be considered a cheap alternative that takes the premium out of a car like the ///M3/4 (...cloth) may be seen as a plus to a self proclaimed "purist". At the end of the day, only you know what you'll be happy driving. Listening to strangers' opinions not only keeps you from being true to yourself, but it could ultimately end up being a financial/emotional disappointment.

If resale was/is a major concern, look no further than Alpine White, Black or one of the blues......all with black leather. Your buyer's pool would be large.
Thank you sir, your suggestion is very much apreciated. I completely understand your point and trust me that reselling is not my main motivator. Of course i want the car to be as i want it. my concern is, like i mentioned, that i have never seen cloth seats in person so i cant really decide by personal experience. I might go with leather after all..

To your point about pool of possible buyers: frommy limited experience i see it differently. i always had invidual color and i always found crazy petrol head who was willing to pay extra just for the color he wanted. Point being all these black and white cars can be usually sold only for the market price. Although this might be different here in EU.
Currently in a ZCP with leather, a friend of mine with Carbon Structure (cloth), cloth is definitely more comfy.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #602
SuckM3
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
I have to say i find BMW pretty luxurious as well. To me there is only handful of more luxurious brands such as Bentley, RR and so on. Not considering debates if Audi, Mercedes or Bmw have better interior - i feel like those brands are on the same level just with different end user.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:52 AM   #603
SuckM3
Czech_Republic
Rep

Btw is there a reason you guys call competition packet ZCP? To me its just CP
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #604
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Btw is there a reason you guys call competition packet ZCP? To me its just CP
ZCP is the order code on the spec sheet. That is why people refer to it that way.
Appreciate 1
Andrae26851.00
      10-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #605
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Bmw is a luxury brand. Having full leather (dash panel), heated seats, heated steering, HUD and a great infotainment/Nav system. Granted these days you can get the same features in a Hyundai.
Again, I am not following your point.
I rented an Altima this week and it had everything you described above.
BMW is a luxury brand in North America maybe, in Europe, the 3-series is just another German car on the road...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 11:35 AM   #606
jacobe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3

I special ordered mine with cloth seats. I hate the cold to the touch feel when you first get inside the car and the slippery feeling of leather. Both my M3 and Rubicon have cloth seats.
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #607
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Again, I am not following your point.
I rented an Altima this week and it had everything you described above.
BMW is a luxury brand in North America maybe, in Europe, the 3-series is just another German car on the road...
If you’re defining luxury as interior, you’re correct, f80 isn’t. A top trim level sonata was way more luxurious in the interior than my cloth seats no options f80.

I personally think 119 mph stock trap speeds are a luxury, and there’s a clear gap between 98 mph trap speed Altima and 119mph trap speed f80
Appreciate 0