proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-25-2016, 12:35 PM   #45
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

E92 vs F8x new owners thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M370z View Post
Something definitely took a turn from a journalistic perspective with the F8x though. I owned an e92 M3 and I never remember it getting the vitriol that the F8x gets. And IMO, the F8x is a better car, so I just don't get it.

As for ZCP, regardless of how much better it is, you can't deny that it is a no-brainer option at the price.
I have a 2013 M3 and would like to hear from others who have had this model and have gotten a F8x. The writer above was helpful in expressing his preference for the car in spite of all the journalistic criticism of the F8x series from sound to steering feel, anyone else share this experience?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #46
DL3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I'm not sure I would tick ZCP on a daily driver as its definitely more harsh to drive. My car is a weekend only car tho and its worth every penny IMO.

danniexi best car ever? No. Better than standard? Yes.
Maybe 19's make it more a DD?? How much more pronounced is cabin noise in the ZCP?? Placing my order within next 3 months & need to gather as much info. as possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 03:10 PM   #47
MWM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeru View Post
I'm a "buy towards the end of the ///M lifecycle" consumer-type; ZCP is therefore the only option I consider as it touches the "Goldilocks" zone direct from the factory.
Smart! If everyone had patience they'd do the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #48
BMW003E
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, M2C, & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike
Quote:
Originally Posted by M370z View Post
Something definitely took a turn from a journalistic perspective with the F8x though. I owned an e92 M3 and I never remember it getting the vitriol that the F8x gets. And IMO, the F8x is a better car, so I just don't get it.

As for ZCP, regardless of how much better it is, you can't deny that it is a no-brainer option at the price.
I have a 2013 M3 and would like to hear from others who have had this model and have gotten a F8x. The writer above was helpful in expressing his preference for the car in spite of all the journalistic criticism of the F8x series from sound to steering feel, anyone else share this experience?
I kept my '13 M3 when I got a '16 M3 ZCP. The cars are just completely different in character and feel. I'm still not sure they are comparable, period. I love how linear the throttle response and sound of the E92 is compared to the F80, but the raw power of the latter is as fun. They are just different cars built to different philosophies. I honestly can't say which one is better because of how different they are.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #49
onetrader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMBM3,CCB,6MT,Exec,Lgt,FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW003E View Post
I kept my '13 M3 when I got a '16 M3 ZCP. The cars are just completely different in character and feel. I'm still not sure they are comparable, period. I love how linear the throttle response and sound of the E92 is compared to the F80, but the raw power of the latter is as fun. They are just different cars built to different philosophies. I honestly can't say which one is better because of how different they are.
You honestly can't say which is better? The F80 is so much better than E92, and I loved the V8... Driving the E92 now is boooring, something I never thought Id say...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #50
BMW003E
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS, M2C, & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetrader
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW003E View Post
You honestly can't say which is better? The F80 is so much better than E92, and I loved the V8... Driving the E92 now is boooring, something I never thought Id say...
I've been asked that a lot. Both have their positive and negative attributes, so it's tough to put one above the other.

Of course, there's a reason why I have an E92 and a F80. When it's just me, I drive the E92. If I have to haul around people or need extra room, I'll drive the F80. I switch back and forth between the two often and don't really get a feeling that I'd rather be driving one over the other.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 11:43 PM   #51
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

Every time I drop by this forum there's one of these "class warfare" threads on the first page. Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 12:52 AM   #52
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

same here locally with journos, so many mixed reviews especially with regard to suspension changes

one guy says it's harsher than c63, another says its more compliant

the best way is to grab one for an extended test drive and form your own opinion - car journalism these days should be taken as entertainment only

after my test drive i found the suspension more compliant over bumps than my c63s, and the gap grew the faster i went

re changes, compared to the first gen i drove, the zcp has sorted everything that prevented me buying that car back then - ride quality, sound and traction

Last edited by domino_z; 09-26-2016 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 02:44 AM   #53
nzf80m3
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M3

say if you were to get a hex tune, akrapovic exhaust, intake and coilovers. would that mean the standard m3 and zcp is essentially the same car apart from the seats?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 07:43 AM   #54
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzf80m3 View Post
say if you were to get a hex tune, akrapovic exhaust, intake and coilovers. would that mean the standard m3 and zcp is essentially the same car apart from the seats?
Pretty much. Seats, seat belts, rear diff tune, blacked out grills, gills, emblems, and maybe a few other small flare items.

From what a lot of us are finding out the stock zcp tune pairs great with jb4. I personally think something like bm3 will still be worth it even if you have zcp cause youll be able to fine tune a back end flash for even more power. But if I planned to do the mods you are I wouldnt check the box.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #55
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin G
This comparison is tiresome. And it's mostly from those who don't have a ZCP trying to make themselves feel better. I imagine most of us with ZCP have no regrets (maybe other than the wheels)...
This is a common thread on M3 forums. It's kinda sickening. Whenever anyone says something is not the best about M3 so many here just say it's because someone doesn't have or can't afford it. Nauseating. Look at the other forums and you will see what I mean. So many here fixated on the cost of your cars and you can see by the high number of of appreciate clicks that this is much more prevalent with M3 owners. It's sad!

This same thing happened with e90 M3 with competition package. The heavier 19" wheels with less sidewall and heavier dynamic suspension made for no difference on the track to the lighter 18" fixed suspension M3s. Those big wheels are not for style not outright performance. If you have any doubt Google any sort of race car and you will see sidewalls. Not because F1 teams can't afford bigger wheels as so many here will undoubtedly think and say but because you need some compliance as suspensions get stiffer and the more power you have the more compliance you need to get it down.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 01:46 PM   #56
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Not sure why people don't like Comp Pack, unless you really dont like the 20in wheels.
If you do like the wheels and you were going for optional 19s anyway, this package is a great bargain.

If this was available when I got my car, no question I would have gotten it.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 07:36 PM   #57
BavarianBeastTamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 550i m4 vert on order

Comp pack is great value for the money. It makes a noticeable difference in the car as well. I think the comp pack is great and the car is better for having it.

It doesn't suit every driver's needs. I would love the comp pack but in north jersey, it's hard with those wheels, I like the non zcp seats better as well.

I just wish there were a la cart comp pack upgrades. I would do the tune and suspension in a heartbeat.

Last edited by BavarianBeastTamer; 09-29-2016 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #58
ApexL8
Private
Rep
Drives: M-Powered

The article was straight bafoonery.

ZCP suits some and maybe not others for several reasons. It can be endlessly debated, why or why not to opt for it.
Appreciate 1
m4282118.50
      09-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #59
JTBM3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I picked up my 17 M3 ZCP last Monday.. I had the 2016 M3 non ZCP put 6k miles on the car. I haven't even gone in for my first service and I already feel the difference all around with the ZCP. Cant wait till break in is done. Wish it was out from the beginning saved me the hassel of trade in. ZCP is a must IMO
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #60
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
omfg. so sick of this shit.

"automotive journalism" is a fucking joke. people with ZCP are going to say their cars are the best. those without ZCP will say that there is "no real difference". and any other non-F80 BMW owners are going to say that the steering sucks, engine sucks, and BMW "lost their way." everyone is going to say something otherwise in order to justify their purchases/ownership and, above all, make themselves feel better. this BS is getting ridiculous.
I have been saying this about "reviewers" in general for awhile.

The fact that they don't understand that they are biased and try to come off as unbiased is hilarious. The best example of this is Matt Farah. He is SOOO biased you can tell what he will say when he gets into a car that isn't an American brand. The same can be said for Motor Trend when they did that Focus RS vs VW Golf R, I saw even before the video started they would pick the Focus RS and behold they do.

Almost every automotive journalist is this way apart from Chris Harris. Chris is among one of the very few that I actually listen to because he doesn't tend to bullshit what he says. Motor Trend, Car and Driver and The Smoking Tire are among the worse offenders for passing something as a review, instead of saying it is their own personal opinion.

I love my car even though it isn't a ZCP. I come to accept the flaws in cars instead of always being hyper OCD about everything. Car "reviewers" should start thinking differently.