Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

11-14-2020, 05:35 AM   #1
triple_m
Former lurker
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 Ultimate 6MT

The Speed Yellow M4 That Almost Didn't Happen. Twice.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
After years of lurking, I'm happy to finally say it's time to introduce an M4 of my own. Get comfortable, 'cause this one's a long (but worthwhile) read!

Back when the F8x was released, I had just attended what was probably the most fun manufacturer-run autocross event I've ever been to. Half the concrete pad BMW was hosting this on had literally become a lake! It was so flooded, the carpet inside the temporary buildings for the classroom portion was audibly squishy.

The highlight by far was waterskiing a factory-fresh 435i xDrive around partially-submerged cones, with all that water swiftly relocating itself onto my windshield as I took the hairpin turn going into the final straight.

I had already been very much about the F32 leading up to that day, being hooked on the design soon as it was released. Elegant and sexy, but sporty at the same time - it's a feat that seldom few cars manage. So imagine my excitement when it drove just as well as it looked!

My logic was that if an AWD automatic F32 was such a blast, the RWD manual version I actually wanted could only be better. I found a new leftover-stock three-pedal 435i (AWD though) in local inventory, so I booked a test drive to verify.

And I hated it.

I can't describe my disappointment in how lifeless the shifter and clutch pedal felt - it was as if they weren't even connected to anything! Where was that engaging car I threw around those cones?? How could BMW, of all marques, make the manual version feel so terrible?

While an M car wasn't in the cards at that point, I still wondered if that newly-released F8x was any different. The whole raison d'etre of an M car is an awesome driving experience, after all, and they didn't get that reputation for nothing. Besides, with the chassis designation for the M version now being split from the base car, I figured the chances were high that they drove like completely different cars, too.

It just so happened that the only manual F8x available locally was the exact same YMB/SS M3 that I sat in at the auto show a month prior. Naturally, I booked a test drive... As much as I hated that 435i, I loved this M3 - they really did feel like completely different cars. All the inputs felt great, and the power delivery was exactly what you'd expect. In a sentence, the M3 felt as if it was carved out of one piece.

The dealership experience was as good as the drive itself. Not only was I just some kid in his early-to-mid twenties, but I made no secret of the fact that an M car would be out of budget for at least a couple years. Even so, the salesguy treated me as seriously as any other customer, not hesitating to let me give the car a proper drive and answer all my questions. At the end of that drive, not only did I know what car I wanted, I also knew what dealership I'd order it from.

Fast forward to early this year. With the F82 facing a June EOP, my plan was to get an order in around late spring/early summer for a September ED. Perusing a thread on here during my lunch break at work, I discovered that production of the F82 was going to be cut by two months, moving the EOP to the end of April instead...so I had to act fast. Just as the pandemic began to roll out, I paid a visit to that very same dealership, and put a deposit down on one of the last four F82 build slots left! My order was officially in: 6MT, Competition Package, Individual Speed Yellow, Carbonstructure seats, and ICON LEDs, delivered at The Welt just like I dreamed for years! It was finally going to happen.

A handful of weeks later, I got a phone call from the dealer. Due to the pandemic, BMW halted production... But instead of simply pausing production until the factory opened again, they decided to cancel all orders that weren't already assigned a VIN, including mine. Adding insult to injury, BMW officially cancelled ED as well a few days later.

After all these years of extensive research, hard work, and sacrifices, the pandemic killed my dream just as I was about to bring it to life.

Dejected, I gave a tentative "no" to the dealer's offer of shipping me any other new M4 from any other dealership's inventory in the country, opting to wait the pandemic out a little and try some competing cars while I do it. In the end, I had given a V8 Vantage, Carrera T, Hellcat, M2C, RS5, C63S, and F-Type a shot...but it was only during one last test drive of a manual F80 where I felt like the car was an extension of my limbs. After all those other drives, the F8x was still the car to get, even if there were zero chances of finding a 6MT Speed Yellow Comp like the one I had so badly wanted to order.

So then, what WAS out there? I scoured BMW dealers across the nation for 6MT Comps: Black Sapphire Metallic and Mineral White were available, both with the base headlights. There was an awesome-looking San Marino Blue one with everything I wanted save for cloth (no problem), but it had a sunroof... "Dammit," I thought to myself. "Looks like there is a fourth one, sitting in a showroom on the other side of the country, that's...Speed Yellow!?!? With the ICONs?? No way. This is an Ultimate Package car, so too bad the seats are leath- wait, what? This has cloth seats, too??" My brain could make no sense of it. How did this car even exist?? Was somebody messing with me??

"I can't believe you found another one," said the ASM who originally took my deposit for that ill-fated order, when I told him about this car. "Though in our system, it's marked as sold."

Unbeknownst to me, the original dealer ordered it back in 2019 as an inventory car, finding out on arrival that it had cloth seats instead of the full Merino that they were expecting (because that's the only way Ultimate Package cars are built). It's a factory error car - a one of one! It rolled off the truck right into their showroom, where it sat for almost a year until a local guy there won the lottery, sat in it, and said "I'll take it." What followed was a month of "red tape, red tape, I don't have the money yet," prompting the dealer to get fed up and take the 'sold' sign off the car - but they didn't update their internal system. When my guy called them, they confirmed the car was indeed still available!

So this past September, instead of taking delivery of my new Speed Yellow M4 with cloth seats in Munich, I took delivery of a different new Speed Yellow M4 with cloth seats at the dealer where I drove my first F8x all those years ago. The car had effectively been waiting for me in that showroom across the country since roughly September of last year (early MY20 build), and I've been driving it pretty much every day since I got it.

Unbelievable how things work out sometimes. Sorry, lottery guy, but this one had my name on it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 60
GERMAN M34181.00
zamboni1127.50
pattymtb136.50
x.shell6578.50
Jason40791.50
TEGRITY616.50
chicagofan0019135.50
M-Pilot4859.00
drexplode1780.50
Hedoniste3834.00
FrozenGT1116.50
isN5454.00
ruczko97.00
Rovie1.50
shameson164.00
Jayf30633.00
ando2000.50
mccoj324.00
russell21147.00
TBMNYS12.00
1230vani651.00
Gdiddy23906.50
agentrnge379.00
NYBulldog1310.00
      11-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpydoppelganger View Post
After years of lurking, I'm happy to finally say it's time to introduce an M4 of my own. Get comfortable, 'cause this one's a long (but worthwhile) read!

Back when the F8x was released, I had just attended what was probably the most fun manufacturer-run autocross event I've ever been to. Half the concrete pad BMW was hosting this on had literally become a lake! It was so flooded, the carpet inside the temporary buildings for the classroom portion was audibly squishy.

The highlight by far was waterskiing a factory-fresh 435i xDrive around partially-submerged cones, with all that water swiftly relocating itself onto my windshield as I took the hairpin turn going into the final straight.

I had already been very much about the F32 leading up to that day, being hooked on the design soon as it was released. Elegant and sexy, but sporty at the same time - it's a feat that seldom few cars manage. So imagine my excitement when it drove just as well as it looked!

My logic was that if an AWD automatic F32 was such a blast, the RWD manual version I actually wanted could only be better. I found a new leftover-stock three-pedal 435i (AWD though) in local inventory, so I booked a test drive to verify.

And I hated it.

I can't describe my disappointment in how lifeless the shifter and clutch pedal felt - it was as if they weren't even connected to anything! Where was that engaging car I threw around those cones?? How could BMW, of all marques, make the manual version feel so terrible?

While an M car wasn't in the cards at that point, I still wondered if that newly-released F8x was any different. The whole raison d'etre of an M car is an awesome driving experience, after all, and they didn't get that reputation for nothing. Besides, with the chassis designation for the M version now being split from the base car, I figured the chances were high that they drove like completely different cars, too.

It just so happened that the only manual F8x available locally was the exact same YMB/SS M3 that I sat in at the auto show a month prior. Naturally, I booked a test drive... As much as I hated that 435i, I loved this M3 - they really did feel like completely different cars. All the inputs felt great, and the power delivery was exactly what you'd expect. In a sentence, the M3 felt as if it was carved out of one piece.

The dealership experience was as good as the drive itself. Not only was I just some kid in his early-to-mid twenties, but I made no secret of the fact that an M car would be out of budget for at least a couple years. Even so, the salesguy treated me as seriously as any other customer, not hesitating to let me give the car a proper drive and answer all my questions. At the end of that drive, not only did I know what car I wanted, I also knew what dealership I'd order it from.

Fast forward to early this year. With the F82 facing a June EOP, my plan was to get an order in around late spring/early summer for a September ED. Perusing a thread on here during my lunch break at work, I discovered that production of the F82 was going to be cut by two months, moving the EOP to the end of April instead...so I had to act fast. Just as the pandemic began to roll out, I paid a visit to that very same dealership, and put a deposit down on one of the last four F82 build slots left! My order was officially in: 6MT, Competition Package, Individual Speed Yellow, Carbonstructure seats, and ICON LEDs, delivered at The Welt just like I dreamed for years! It was finally going to happen.

A handful of weeks later, I got a phone call from the dealer. Due to the pandemic, BMW halted production... But instead of simply pausing production until the factory opened again, they decided to cancel all orders that weren't already assigned a VIN, including mine. Adding insult to injury, BMW officially cancelled ED as well a few days later.

After all these years of extensive research, hard work, and sacrifices, the pandemic killed my dream just as I was about to bring it to life.

Dejected, I gave a tentative "no" to the dealer's offer of shipping me any other new M4 from any other dealership's inventory in the country, opting to wait the pandemic out a little and try some competing cars while I do it. In the end, I had given a V8 Vantage, Carrera T, Hellcat, M2C, RS5, C63S, and F-Type a shot...but it was only during one last test drive of a manual F80 where I felt like the car was an extension of my limbs. After all those other drives, the F8x was still the car to get, even if there were zero chances of finding a 6MT Speed Yellow Comp like the one I had so badly wanted to order.

So then, what WAS out there? I scoured BMW dealers across the nation for 6MT Comps: Black Sapphire Metallic and Mineral White were available, both with the base headlights. There was an awesome-looking San Marino Blue one with everything I wanted save for cloth (no problem), but it had a sunroof... "Dammit," I thought to myself. "Looks like there is a fourth one, sitting in a showroom on the other side of the country, that's...Speed Yellow!?!? With the ICONs?? No way. This is an Ultimate Package car, so too bad the seats are leath- wait, what? This has cloth seats, too??" My brain could make no sense of it. How did this car even exist?? Was somebody messing with me??

"I can't believe you found another one," said the ASM who originally took my deposit for that ill-fated order, when I told him about this car. "Though in our system, it's marked as sold."

Unbeknownst to me, the original dealer ordered it back in 2019 as an inventory car, finding out on arrival that it had cloth seats instead of the full Merino that they were expecting (because that's the only way Ultimate Package cars are built). It's a factory error car - a one of one! It rolled off the truck right into their showroom, where it sat for almost a year until a local guy there won the lottery, sat in it, and said "I'll take it." What followed was a month of "red tape, red tape, I don't have the money yet," prompting the dealer to get fed up and take the 'sold' sign off the car - but they didn't update their internal system. When my guy called them, they confirmed the car was indeed still available!

So this past September, instead of taking delivery of my new Speed Yellow M4 with cloth seats in Munich, I took delivery of a different new Speed Yellow M4 with cloth seats at the dealer where I drove my first F8x all those years ago. The car had effectively been waiting for me in that showroom across the country since roughly September of last year (early MY20 build), and I've been driving it pretty much every day since I got it.

Unbelievable how things work out sometimes. Sorry, lottery guy, but this one had my name on it!
Great story as well as pics, especially the second to last pic. Thanks for sharing your experience.....and welcome to the ///M family. Enjoy your new ///M in good health
      11-14-2020, 09:23 AM   #3
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Glad you found the exact spec you were looking for. Looks like a fantastic car.
Appreciate 1
bluvln15.00
      11-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
PKL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4, 2022 X6

Nice car! Congrats. 6MT forever!!
      11-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Great story. I can feel the excitement build in your narrative and for someone probably in their late 20’s, early 30’s now, is also well written.

This car was destined for you! You put it out in the universe and got your dream car. For all those things to happen and line up for you is a testament to the power of positive thinking.

Enjoy in good health and welcome to the ///M family!
Appreciate 2
YKIGI248.00
      11-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #6
FatRear08
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Welcome and congrats! Such a great color too...enjoy her!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 07:52 PM   #7
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

That is an impossible spec to find, wow. This is literally an example of what was meant to be, is meant to be. Big congrats
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
pattymtb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F87 M2 (MG)

A 6MT, ultimate pack, with cloth seats... sir you have a damn GRAIL car! My base YMB M4 has the cloth seat option and it's the only way I'd ever go! Congrats to you sir and enjoy you beautiful car!
      11-16-2020, 07:41 AM   #9
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Congrats on finding your perfect spec.

Similar thing happened to me when ordering my Macan GTS, could not find a customizable allocation but found my exact spec incoming at a dealer 2000kms away...

And please explain that 2nd to last picture
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #10
TTGTOVR4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Speed Yellow FTW
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2020, 03:05 PM   #11
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

WOW! You are literally the unluckiest guy that turned into the luckiest guy. What a story! I'm nominating this thread for the front page.

Congrats on such a special car. Keep it for life!
Appreciate 1
Jason40791.50
      11-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #12
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Wow, what an incredible story! I'm happy you where able to get the car in the specifications you wanted at the end.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #13
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Front page. Woot woot!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #14
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Congrats, sick spec. Are those the OEM tail lights tinted or it's some sort of black line/euro spec
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #15
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
congrats man and what a story! that car had your name all over it right from the get go..

I went through a similar experience back in July 2020 and settled down with a M4 comp with Sapphire Metallic Black. (my specs were not as unique as yours, of course). but got what I wanted and it was the very last new M4 here in Australia. here's mine

enjoy in good health and that's a keeper!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #16
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Great story and congrats. Patience and diligence pay off! Beautiful car too!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:11 PM   #17
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Very nice. Glad to see the fighter jet missed you.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #18
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Wow congrats, looks killer in SY
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #19
Ywywmlt
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M8

This color is amazing~
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #20
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Great story and congrats on finding the spec you wanted!

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:26 PM   #21
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
Congratulations! What an incredible story and happy ending OP - please enjoy the car in good health!

F82 6MT is the only way to go.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #22
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Very nice M4! Congrats!
Appreciate 0