Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

What causes Drone

I have a full Active Autowerke Signature Series system that includes, DP's, Single Mid, and Muffler. The drone is unbearable in efficient mode especially when going low speeds at low RPM's. Just doing 40 MPH at 2K RPM is awful. Plus there is a ton of vibration that I think is also coming from drone? The sound and drone in sport doesn’t bother.

I'm ready to replace any/all of the parts to get rid of the drone but not sure which one. I'm hearing mixed answers, some say it's the DP while others say it's the muffler causing the drone. What can I do to eliminate the drone in efficient mode?

Question - what causes drone?

Last edited by keiridin; 11-28-2020 at 10:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
dpgfunk
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Are you running a tune with valves fully open in sport? This can increase drone. You can revert the valves back to performing like OEM. It will help reduce drone but your exhaust will be significantly more quiet overall.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I’m running bootmod3 stage 2. I have to check how the valves are set. I took the default stage 2 with down pipes. In sport/sport plus there are loud and long burbles. I was planning on going back in to tame down the burbles a bit.

Do you think turning off the valves fully will help the drone in efficient? I’m willing to sacrifice the load noise in sport if it means getting rid of the drone. On a side note, I think I can hear very faint burbles is efficient mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgfunk View Post
Are you running a tune with valves fully open in sport? This can increase drone. You can revert the valves back to performing like OEM. It will help reduce drone but your exhaust will be significantly more quiet overall.
I should have been more clear - The drone I’m experiencing is in efficient mode. It’s also in sport but I don’t mind It there. I was hoping to have normal sound with no vibration in efficient mode. But will to replace any part to get rid of it all together. Even if it means loosing performance or nice sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #5
sagi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

I’ve read on this forum that folks with just a midpipe had no drone. I also read people with just cattless downpipes and oem eexhaust with oem mids had no drone.. high chance of it being the axle back.

If you have the oem catted downpipes, reinstall those and work that way.

Good luck.
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

could be either your downpipes or axleback. more likely than not the downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

LOL, Some say it’s the DP and others say it’s the muffler. I’m at a loss as to what needs to be replaced. I’m getting tempted to just replace the entire system with OEM. Or I suppose, I can replace one OEM piece at a time until the drone is gone.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiridin View Post
I should have been more clear - The drone I’m experiencing is in efficient mode. It’s also in sport but I don’t mind It there. I was hoping to have normal sound with no vibration in efficient mode. But will to replace any part to get rid of it all together. Even if it means loosing performance or nice sound.
Check the valves. My left valve was not actuating properly as the harness was not fully plugged in. I had drone in all modes and was not happy
But didn’t really care b/c the car (m2c) spends most of its time at the track/higher revs. I have the full akra on my m2c and just fixed my drone issue. Fucking night and day as I have hyper sensitive hearing. You should have zero drone with a full akra. I also had the full akra on my f80 but I didn’t have any issues with that; so I know how it’s supposed to sound. Drone is not form the DPs those just create rasp. To be clear all of your parts post turbos are akra right?

EDIT: doh I just realized your post reads active, not akra. AA GEN 1 valveless drones. Had that on my f80 too. GEN 2 signature I believe that drones more. Drone is coming from the muffler section.

Last edited by clutchdj; 11-28-2020 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #9
andrei.m4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw f82

A straight pipe without resonators create drone, a lot of drone on these cars. Unfortunatly actual exhaust market for f82 sounds really bad. I am glad I have custom.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei.m4 View Post
A straight pipe without resonators create drone, a lot of drone on these cars. Unfortunatly actual exhaust market for f82 sounds really bad. I am glad I have custom.
Yup, that’s another one I’ve heard. Replacing the mid pipe with a resonated mid pipe will get rid of the drone. The answers I get are all over the place.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #11
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

EDIT: doh I just realized your post reads active, not akra. AA GEN 1 valveless drones. Had that on my f80 too. GEN 2 signature I believe that drones more. Drone is coming from the muffler section.[/QUOTE]

I must have GEN 2 because I definitely have valves. I may just try to code out the valves all together based on the other response. I’ll give it a try. I’m desperate at this point. The drone is driving me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #12
BlackF82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Not sure if you have the resonator removed but that may be a cause of drone as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #13
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackF82 View Post
Not sure if you have the resonator removed but that may be a cause of drone as well.
This is the exhaust system. I’m almost certain there’s no resonator.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #14
BlackF82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This is the exhaust system. I’m almost certain there’s no resonator.
Yup there isn't one
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #15
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrei.m4 View Post
Yup, that's another one I've heard. Replacing the mid pipe with a resonated mid pipe will get rid of the drone. The answers I get are all over the place.
This is what I've read. No cats should have resonator. Granted I have a full oem set up and have no personal experience.

I'm getting a AA midpipe and read it works well as long as you're not running catless DP's.
      11-28-2020, 05:02 PM   #16
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

As I suspected, no clear answer. So what I’m learning is there are three major parts to the exhaust system. The downpipe, mid pipe and muffler and it can be anyone or multiple pieces causing the drone. I guess one option is to ask if someone has two of three AA installed and don’t have drone.

I’m getting close to just ripping out the entire system to replace it with stock. That’s how much the vibration and drone is bothering me. You may soon see a post for anyone in south Florida that would like to do a swap for their OEM system. Or I guess the other option is to replace each piece unit the drone is gone. Which piece do I start with, I guess that goes back to the original question.

What piece is typically the least expensive to swap out? Maybe that how I decide.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #17
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I got you...I have the AA Signature and believe your drone problem is coming down from the catless DPs. You seem to have done the "full race/comp" setup. I paired my Signature with the ER 200cpi Sport Cats and my car is very loud but not intolerable. I set BM3 to valves open and burbles fully off, which helps a lot. With the Signature's scavenge-effect my car naturally burbles once or twice, which sounds cool and authentic to me.

The rear-can drone comes from the exhaust pops reverberating off the can when bouncing 180 degrees to go out the exit. Opening the valve lets the drone flow out and be heard less.

For you, first try no burbles and valves open in BM3. Next if needed, try stock cats if still unhappy (or if you really like BM3 burbles). Last ditch, switch out to the single mid with a Dinan/Remus rear. If using catless DPs ask AA for the resonated extensions for the single mid (they do make this combo now on request). The last ditch setup is the lowest drone combo for catless DPs, but still with the low tone and loud rumble.
Attached Images

11-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #18
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I have AA single midpipe with stock DPs and OEM non-CP exhaust - no drone at all.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #19
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Downpipe is what I hear the most, then the muffler, and once in a while mid pipe. I’m going to try TopJimmy suggestion about fully opening the valves and turning the burbles off. I have catless AA downpipes so I’m lean more towards that being the issue if the valves and burble delete doesn’t fix it.

TopJimmy I really only care about it being quiet in efficient mode. Does your suggestion work for efficient. I only did a quick stage 2 default OTS map. I didn’t play with any of the settings so I’m not sure if there is anything for efficient mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #20
BlackF82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As I suspected, no clear answer. So what I'm learning is there are three major parts to the exhaust system. The downpipe, mid pipe and muffler and it can be anyone or multiple pieces causing the drone. I guess one option is to ask if someone has two of three AA installed and don't have drone.

I'm getting close to just ripping out the entire system to replace it with stock. That's how much the vibration and drone is bothering me. You may soon see a post for anyone in south Florida that would like to do a swap for their OEM system. Or I guess the other option is to replace each piece unit the drone is gone. Which piece do I start with, I guess that goes back to the original question.

What piece is typically the least expensive to swap out? Maybe that how I decide.
If money is no concern, why not M Performance full system? Its BMW made so no issues will arise for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 09:42 AM   #21
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
TopJimmy I really only care about it being quiet in efficient mode. Does your suggestion work for efficient. I only did a quick stage 2 default OTS map. I didn't play with any of the settings so I'm not sure if there is anything for efficient mode.
The BM3 flap setting in the tune list only affects Sport and Plus. Try using BM3 diagnostic screen to do valves open in efficient. If that doesn't work go to sport to open valves, then unplug the wire (out back) from the flap actuator to leave the valve open. That might quiet down the vibration noise in efficient.
      11-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #22
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If money is no concern, why not M Performance full system? Its BMW made so no issues will arise for sure.
Money is definitely a concern but the drone is the biggest concern. I’m actually okay with loud, drone, burbles, etc as long as I can drive quietly in efficient mode.

If I can get rid of the drone by replacing one piece, then I may look to try to trade someone for their stock setup.

Just out of curiosity, what does a full MPE setup run? Maybe I sell the AA race setup that came with the car and use the money towards an MPE setup?
Appreciate 0