BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #23
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoDivine View Post
I have a 2017 F80 and got the letter from BMW and the email. My car qualifies for the upgrade which is free of charge. Not sure where folks have determined 2016 already has 4G when the 2017 LCIs didnt.
In iDrive, go to Menu/ConnectedDrive/BMW Online and look at the globe in the upper left-hand corner. Does yours say "3G" or "4G"?

What I find confusing is that BMW, which manufactured the car and has comprehensive information about everything that was included during the build, seems to think my 2016 M4 has 3G but my car thinks it has 4G. BMW Assist has told me that their records show that my car "doesn't have 3G". I haven't yet contacted my dealer about the upgrade, but I've got plenty of time to do this before next February.

My theory is that BMW is mistakenly sending those emails to M3/M4 owners who already have 4G. It wouldn't be the first time that BMW has screwed up something like this. Time will tell.

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 03:44 PM   #24
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
If your vehicle is a US-spec 2016 Model year and beyond, which has the "Professional" iDrive system (standard on the M4), then it already has a 4G LTE telemetry, rending a hardware upgrade unnecessary.
This is what I seem to remember learning when I first bought the car 5 years ago. It was of particular interest to me because of our experience with the 2G->3G transition that we experienced in my wife's 2011 335is Coupe. Not sure why BMW thinks I have 3G when my car clearly thinks it has 4G.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #25
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Quote:
If your vehicle is a US-spec 2016 Model year and beyond, which has the "Professional" iDrive system (standard on the M4), then it already has a 4G LTE telemetry, rending a hardware upgrade unnecessary.
This is what I seem to remember learning when I first bought the car 5 years ago. It was of particular interest to me because of our experience with the 2G->3G transition that we experienced in my wife's 2011 335is Coupe. Not sure why BMW thinks I have 3G when my car clearly thinks it has 4G.
Yea, it seems a lot of folks are getting the same exact notification, some I assume are in error but I can't confirm this with certainty because some members here are not clear on what model of vehicle they own, so the jury is still out.

Regardless, I'm positive you have an iDrive with 4G telemetry; mines a 2016 also but an M2 and is 4G LTE with auto (regional) map updates.

BMW discontinued 3G telematics for the 2016 model year and above on the "Professional" unit (standard on all model year F8Xs) i.e: 8.8 screen, touch controller, DVD player, ect for all US-spec vehicles.

If your vehicle has the standard 6.5 inch iDrive interface (not applicable on any or all F8Xs), the one that's inclusive on the base model BMWs, when you don't opt for the "Professional" iDrive unit,'then up to 2017 model year, those would still run on 3G telematics.

Factually, all US-spec M3/M4s for the 2016 model year and beyond uses a 4G LTE connection.

Sometimes when traveling in rural areas throughout US, the iDrive might still display "3G" - since that's the highest tier connect available but the overall hardware is provisioned to alternate between 3/4G LTE service, whichever one is available.

3G Discontinuation Notice https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1823438

Technology Upgrade Notification https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1823618
Appreciate 2
      05-10-2021, 05:54 AM   #26
Poochie
United_States
Rep

In the interest of sharing accurate information with fellow members, I want to revise my previous statement on this subject, due to new facts I'm now privy to.

So, it is still factual that all US-spec BMW "Professional" iDrive units built after 07/2015 and beyond has a 4G LTE telemetry connection; that was true then as it is now.

However, that might not matter to some because regardless if you have a 4G LTE iDrive connection or not, apparently, some early models of this technology still will not be able to support some future ConnectDrive services and therefore might need upgraded hardware to be able to utilize the services.

So please, gather your VIN and inquire with your dealer on whether or not your hardware requires an upgrade.

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...pdf/3G_FAQ.pdf

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #27
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Benefits if you don't upgrade - you can't be hacked or tracked.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #28
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
In iDrive, go to Menu/ConnectedDrive/BMW Online and look at the globe in the upper left-hand corner. Does yours say "3G" or "4G"?

What I find confusing is that BMW, which manufactured the car and has comprehensive information about everything that was included during the build, seems to think my 2016 M4 has 3G but my car thinks it has 4G. BMW Assist has told me that their records show that my car "doesn't have 3G". I haven't yet contacted my dealer about the upgrade, but I've got plenty of time to do this before next February.

My theory is that BMW is mistakenly sending those emails to M3/M4 owners who already have 4G. It wouldn't be the first time that BMW has screwed up something like this. Time will tell.
My '15 globe has nuthin..... But then I am not signed up for anything either
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #29
F82///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82///M View Post
Login into connected drive website and go to the store, it'll show you everything in case US has different terms from Canada. There's bunch more options not applicable for us.

This is 2018 ID6, few things are lifetime, few 3 years from purchase date and few are good for 10 years. It looks like we should be able to use remote functions from the app without connected drive professional which is 3 years. I'll update in 20 days when mine expires.
Sorry for resurfacing this, just an update if anyone is interested, connected drive service professional has finally expired.
Seen few others mentioning no remote functions so it may be different in The States. Mine still works and as shown in screenshots in post 12, it's good for 10 years from the cars first registration, same goes for Teleservices and Emergency Calls.

Everything from the app works. Lock - unlock, flashing lights, service reminders, vehicle status, fuel level - range etc and it's location. Also sending address to the car works (Bmw messages).

Other fancy stuff is gone, map updates, street parking, fuel prices, traffic info, news, weather, can't reply text messages, it will only receive and read or forward.

Online speech processing could be affected as well, I'm assuming it's down to specific and basic phrases. Haven't used that one as much so can't tell for sure, noticed only one. Usually would say "drive me home" and it would start navigating. That command now opens up home phone number as in to call home. At least saying "go home" or "take me home" still works. Other voice commands like saying address where to go or call the name from the phone works.

It's interesting, scanned car with ISTA+ and got code "S8412 Functional limitation of connected drive headunit". Car knows service is terminated.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 12:23 PM   #30
BlitzerRadic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I called the dealer about this and scheduled an appointment for next week. I was told it's a just a software upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 06:07 PM   #31
BlitzerRadic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

So has anyone got this service done yet? I took my MY17 M3 in today and the dealer told me they couldnt update because I have 2018 headlights installed. Told me I have to put the old headlights back on.

Whats the worst that could happen if I dont update? I really dont want to take these headlights off.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 01:08 PM   #32
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

I just spoke to connect Drive in Canada, because I didn't have anything when I renewed my subscription, but they sorted me out and I am back on the network, I also asked if my 2015 M4 was affected by the 3G network issue in 2022 February which would explain why I couldn't connect after renewing and he told me that is the first thing he checked if my car under the cancelation and it is not so I guess I am running on the 4G LTE network and it's a 2015.

He also said if my car was under that 3G issue he would had sent me to another department!

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #33
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
I just spoke to connect Drive in Canada, because I didn't have anything when I renewed my subscription, but they sorted me out and I am back on the network, I also asked if my [COLOR="Red"]2015 M4[/COLOR] was affected by the 3G network issue in 2022 February which would explain why I couldn't connect after renewing and he told me that is the first thing he checked if my car under the cancelation and it is not so I guess I am running on the 4G LTE network and it's a[COLOR="Red"] 2015[/COLOR].

He also said if my car was under that 3G issue he would had sent me to another department!
If you car is a 2015 model year built before 07/2015, then it is factually running a 3G telemetry. No upgrade is possible or nor is it available.

If your vehicle is build from [COLOR="DarkOrange"]06/2015 to 11/2016[/COLOR], it's running an earlier version of the 4G telematics modem but it still needs to be upgraded, in order to retain emergency calling (see link below), which BMW is offering free of charge.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27745360
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-12-2021, 06:10 PM   #34
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If your vehicle is build after 07/2015 to 11/2016, it's running an earlier version of the 4G telematics modem but it still needs to be upgraded, in order to retain emergency calling (see link below), which BMW is offering free of charge.
My build date is 4/2016 so it would appear to have the earlier 4G telematics modem. I took my car to the dealer a couple of weeks ago to have the accelerometer on the RF strut replaced under extended warranty. I forgot to ask the dealer about this and they didn't mention it.

I may need to schedule another appointment to see if my car needs the upgrade.

Poochie: apparently you have to put the bold modifier on the outside of the color modifier.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 06:22 PM   #35
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If your vehicle is build after [COLOR="red"]07/2015 to 11/2016[/COLOR], it's running an earlier version of the 4G telematics modem but it still needs to be upgraded, in order to retain emergency calling (see link below), which BMW is offering free of charge.
My build date is 4/2016 so it would appear to have the earlier 4G telematics modem. I took my car to the dealer a couple of weeks ago to have the accelerometer on the RF strut replaced under extended warranty. I forgot to ask the dealer about this and they didn't mention it.

I may need to schedule another appointment to see if my car needs the upgrade.

Poochie: apparently you have to put the bold modifier on the outside of the color modifier.
Thanks, this might sound silly but I still haven't fully grasp how you use some of Bimmerpost edit features.. I tried but I keep screwing it up. So I just keep it simple. Oh well… 😚

So, one of my friends who qualified for the upgrade, just a software update for him, his dealer in NJ didn't have any idea what he was talking about and didn't even bother checking, since he was no longer under the factory warranty, so he just left it alone also.

I have a built date of 06/2016, earlier 4G and I qualify for a hardware and software update but I plan to get it done at the end of year because I don't want to deal with losing all my personal coding, after the mandatory firmware update, until I make a scrap book of each coding parameter I need, so I can easily revert them when I get my car back.

I plan to print out that SIB and take it into them in case I get any push back, due to their potential ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #36
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, this might sound silly but I still haven't fully grasp how you use some of Bimmerpost edit features.. I tried but I keep screwing it up. So I just keep it simple. Oh well… 😚

So, one of my friends who qualified for the upgrade, just a software update for him, his dealer in NJ didn't have any idea what he was talking about and didn't even bother checking, since he was no longer under the factory warranty, so he just left it alone also.

I have a built date of 06/2016, earlier 4G and I qualify for a hardware and software update but I plan to get it done at the end of year because I don't want to deal with losing all my personal coding, after the mandatory firmware update, until I make a scrap book of each coding parameter I need, so I can easily revert them when I get my car back.

I plan to print out that SIB and take it into them in case I get any push back, due to their potential ignorance.
I used to be a web developer in the earliest days, back when Notepad, FrontPage, and DreamWeaver were the only editors available, so the BB code used on forums is relatively simple for me. I saw that it wasn't interpreting what you wanted correctly so I used moved the bold code on the outside of the color code, did a preview, and it worked.

I didn't think about the coding that I've done on my M4 and that it would be overwritten. I still have the sheets somewhere, but I used E-Sys on an older laptop. My current and previous laptops are 4K and I could never get it to display correctly and AFAIK support has been non-existent for a while now. I used Bimmercode on my wife's 2018 M3 and got everything done that I needed. Thanks for the heads-up on that!

Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      07-13-2021, 10:47 AM   #37
Buckeye///M
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

Sub’d
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #38
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Garage List
My car was built 8/2015 and I have the NBT EVO. From what I've read I have the early 4G in my car. I just had my HU flashed to iDrive 6 for carplay. Do I still need to go in for the upgrade or am I good?
      07-18-2021, 09:54 PM   #39
fknlo
Private
Rep
Drives: s2k, f80, Prius

I have a 5/2015 build date and BMW has sent me an email saying that there are no upgrades available. Guess I'll have to grab the ID6 carplay unit from Rob now.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 03:45 AM   #40
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mephiska View Post
My car was built 8/2015 and I have the NBT EVO. From what I've read I have the early 4G in my car. I just had my HU flashed to iDrive 6 for carplay. Do I still need to go in for the upgrade or am I good?
Yea, they have to update the actual telematics modem and a software update, in your specific case.

You'll lose the iDrive 6 flash but can revert after the modem is swapped.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 08:00 AM   #41
mephiska
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yea, they have to update the actual telematics modem and a software update, in your specific case.

You'll lose the iDrive 6 flash but can revert after the modem is swapped.
gotcha, thanks for the info.
      07-20-2021, 09:41 AM   #42
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01' E46 325i / 16' F80 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
So I have a 16' build date 10/2015 with the early 4G connection. I still need a hardware and software update with BMW according to DCS. Now if you've got a OBD flash via VF or BM3 it looks like we may have a big problem. The SIB calls for an I-Step update on all modules which would erase all coding and I believe lock the DME? Is this true or have tuners like VF and BM3 unlocked the newest I-Step?
Attached Images

09-08-2021, 10:05 AM   #43
tauzins
Wing Chun Shifter Speed
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanz M4

not sure the differences in my early 2015 car... but I didnt qualify for it and they said via my vin I fall under SIB 840121

Totaled:F30 335i | ER Chargepipe | ER Down-Pipe | Wagner Intercooler | BMS Intake | Meisterschaft Exhaust | MHD BEF JB4 Map 3 / 30% e85 / 50/50 Meth
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 07:47 AM   #44
shamshir
Private
Rep

Did any of you 2016 guys have the 4G telematics hardware and software done by the dealer?
Appreciate 0