proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-11-2022, 09:01 PM   #1
F80_Q3
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Drivetrain Malfunction & Limp Mode

Hi, I am having a issue with my F80 M3 I purchased off a friend. The car often has a yellow drive-train malfunction and goes into limp mode or even a red drive malfunction and the car dies and I have to turn the car off and back on. It usually cuts off when I'm going down a hill or making a tight turn. I also get random misfires in different cylinders, even after I changed Coils, Spark Plugs, And Injectors. I even changed the Lpfp. Im stumped at this point. Current modifications are as Listed.
MODE Front Mount Intakes, VRSF Intercooler and Charge Pipes, Silly Rabbit Ball Bearing Turbos, VRSF Catless DPs, VRSF Single Midpipe, KW Coilovers.

DTC Codes Are

P0036- HO2S heater control Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0056- HO2S heater control Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 2
P13E7- " The fault code is not found in the data base"
P1284- Switching solenoid for air assisted injection valves bank 1 circuit signal low
P12C4-" The fault code is not found in the data base"
P0306- Cylinder 6 misfire Detected

Thank you, All help will be greatly appreciated. ( I also was told it had a fueling issue before. Should i try to replace the Hpfp As well?)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 11:46 AM   #2
FrankEbONEZ
Private
Rep
Drives: White 2017 BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Similar but not exact codes turned out to be a crank hub starting to slip for me. If you don't have one yet, I'd look into getting installed ASAP. In the mean time limit the amount you drive it. If that's not possible, put everything on the softest settings (trans and engine) and drive like a grandma until you get it put in.

This may not be the case but from what i've read and experienced misc. codes especially ones with O2 sensors and misfires (indication the timing is off) are the first warning the crank hub has begun to slip.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 12:02 PM   #3
F80_Q3
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankEbONEZ View Post
Similar but not exact codes turned out to be a crank hub starting to slip for me. If you don't have one yet, I'd look into getting installed ASAP. In the mean time limit the amount you drive it. If that's not possible, put everything on the softest settings (trans and engine) and drive like a grandma until you get it put in.

This may not be the case but from what i've read and experienced misc. codes especially ones with O2 sensors and misfires (indication the timing is off) are the first warning the crank hub has begun to slip.

Thank you, i figured the 02 Codes were for my catless dps since i dont have a tune on at the moment. I was told the car had a vargas crank hub but im going to have it looked at to see if its a stock one or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2022, 09:24 PM   #4
FrankEbONEZ
Private
Rep
Drives: White 2017 BMW M3

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you don't have a tune then it may be. The indication I've read, experienced and others have eluded to me is when one of the controlling O2 sensors, which are Bank 1 or 2 sensor 1, start to consistently throw a code it's one of the stronger indicators. Reason being is they don't typically go bad as they're isolated by 2 cats from the outside air which means less chance of moisture issues and they're a wideband style rather than narrowband which engine control relies on. This means stage 2 or custom tunes need them, the monitoring O2 (narrowband sensor 2 in either bank) is the sensor you here throwing a code on tunes which is sometimes turned off.

The rest of the codes that come along seem to ne a mish mosh but there always seems to be at least 3 or more. By know means is that definitive but I feel it's enough to see if you have a crank hub upgrade. Is your tune custom? OTS?
Appreciate 0