Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

04-22-2021, 11:49 PM   #1
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Extra Cooling Outside of Sport+

Anyone know if it's possible in any way to code in the extra cooling from Sport+ on Sport and/or Efficient throttle?

I know the car will trigger than function regardless of throttle mode if temps get too hot, but wondering if there was a way to isolate and activate it outside of the car's discretion
      04-22-2021, 11:59 PM   #2
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

I thought for sure I saw this option on my bm3 tune under max cooling mode. Or are you referencing In factory trim?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      04-23-2021, 12:51 AM   #3
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
I thought for sure I saw this option on my bm3 tune under max cooling mode. Or are you referencing In factory trim?
That seems to be it - I'm really wondering if there is a way to isolate it and either code it to activate with the other throttle modes or make it a toggle feature.

I've really been enjoying driving with efficient lately on canyons and probably will use it in an upcoming track day - so it would be cool to be able to switch on the extra cooling on demand
      04-23-2021, 12:53 AM   #4
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
That seems to be it - I'm really wondering if there is a way to isolate it and either code it to activate with the other throttle modes or make it a toggle feature.

I've really been enjoying driving with efficient lately on canyons and probably will use it in an upcoming track day - so it would be cool to be able to switch on the extra cooling on demand
I completely agree, the toggle mode would be great. That said, this doesn’t delineate if it’s solely for sport plus mode, so wouldn’t it apply all the time? I guess it wouldn’t “hurt” to have it always on aside from component wear, no?
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      04-23-2021, 01:21 AM   #5
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
I completely agree, the toggle mode would be great. That said, this doesn’t delineate if it’s solely for sport plus mode, so wouldn’t it apply all the time? I guess it wouldn’t “hurt” to have it always on aside from component wear, no?
Yeah I assume this option would be on all the time. My only concern with that would be that the cooling system is too good and stops the engine from getting to operating temperature as quickly!
      04-23-2021, 03:20 AM   #6
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

I run my car in max cool mode 24/7 as I leave it in efficient as I do not like sport and sport+ throttle. I did it through winter here and it was fine. The fans aren't on 24/7 they just come on at a lower temp.

As far as getting up to temp keep in mind there is a thermostat that does not open until it reaches a set temperature. I believe that temp may be lower with max cool but it's still within range.
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      04-23-2021, 03:34 AM   #7
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post
I run my car in max cool mode 24/7 as I leave it in efficient as I do not like sport and sport+ throttle. I did it through winter here and it was fine. The fans aren't on 24/7 they just come on at a lower temp.

As far as getting up to temp keep in mind there is a thermostat that does not open until it reaches a set temperature. I believe that temp may be lower with max cool but it's still within range.
Good to know! Now that we're entering what could be considered the golden age of F8X and S55, hopefully someone figures out how to make it a programable toggle - that would be perfect lol
      04-23-2021, 06:47 AM   #8
MINERALGREY_F80M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 - F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunalot View Post

Are you doing this via BM3?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 07:03 AM   #9
irunalot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera S

Yes, that's the only way I know how to do so.
Appreciate 0