Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

ZCP vs CS EDC coding on base f80

Looking to get coding for EDC on my F80 (non comp) with stock suspension. Has anyone done the coding for either ZCP and/or CS EDC with stock suspension (non comp)?

Not sure which to go with or if any at all. But based on reviews it looks like either would be an improvement. Sound like sport/sport+ rides firmer but not sure about comfort.

If anyone can share their experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:21 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1687204

I'll simply quote my previous answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
The problem is that the base suspension does not have the same dampers as the CP or the CS, so the EDC coding will behave differently than intended.

The M3cs suspension uses the same springs as the base suspension as well as the front swaybar, so you're good there. Ideally, you would want to change the dampers at all 4 corners for the CP/CS ones as well as the rear CP/CS swaybar. You'll then be able to fully leverage the CS EDC coding.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 05:47 AM   #3
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

I've coded M3 CS EDC to my non-zcp M3 with stock suspension, albeit it also involved updating the EDC software to the latest (from 07/2015 to 11/2019).

I noticed that my car in comfort mode handles rough roads better, significantly better dampening. In sport mode on the street the suspension doesn't feel as harsh, i.e. softer. On track, in Sport+ the suspension does feel slightly less stiff, particularly notice it under hard braking as the front seems to dive more than before.

However, I can't say if this is due to the software update or the CS coding.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuLoOoSki View Post
I've coded M3 CS EDC to my non-zcp M3 with stock suspension, albeit it also involved updating the EDC software to the latest (from 07/2015 to 11/2019).

I noticed that my car in comfort mode handles rough roads better, significantly better dampening. In sport mode on the street the suspension doesn't feel as harsh, i.e. softer. On track, in Sport+ the suspension does feel slightly less stiff, particularly notice it under hard braking as the front seems to dive more than before.

However, I can't say if this is due to the software update or the CS coding.
That's interesting. I'm actually going to the dealer for service in 2 days and now wondering if I should request for the EDC update or not.

Do you prefer the original EDC (before coding and update) vs how you're set up now? Seems like the original setup was sportier with less dive during acceleration/braking.

I did read some user reviews saying the CS EDC coding made the ride softer/less sportier but they were with ZCP cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:28 AM   #5
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyBoy View Post
That's interesting. I'm actually going to the dealer for service in 2 days and now wondering if I should request for the EDC update or not.

Do you prefer the original EDC (before coding and update) vs how you're set up now? Seems like the original setup was sportier with less dive during acceleration/braking.

I did read some user reviews saying the CS EDC coding made the ride softer/less sportier but they were with ZCP cars.
For daily driving, I definitely prefer the new setup, it absorbs shocks and rough roads much better.

As for Sport+ mode, for the street I don't see a negative, but as earlier above, on the track it doesn't feel as planted under hard braking.

But once again, I'm not sure if those changes were due to the software update or the CS coding. I would have to code back to stock EDC with the latest software to have a good comparison, which I might do.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

IStep Software update makes a big difference to early None Comp Pack cars (like mine). It's night and day better damper control. Still not world changing (aftermarket would still be better) but on the road it was a much better handling car and less crashy and more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
IStep Software update makes a big difference to early None Comp Pack cars (like mine). It's night and day better damper control. Still not world changing (aftermarket would still be better) but on the road it was a much better handling car and less crashy and more comfortable.
What MY/production date is your car.. i.e what was your original IStep version?

I have the 2016 software version on a MY 2017. I know there was a software version prior to the 2016.

They wanted to charge $300 plus tax for the latest IStep but not sure if it's worth it..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 05:40 PM   #8
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Quote:

I have the 2016 software version on a MY 2017. I know there was a software version prior to the 2016.

They wanted to charge $300 plus tax for the latest IStep but not sure if it's worth it..
Mine is an early LCI (2016). The iStep was done as a request from me as it changes the power delivery (from somewhat abrupt at low revs to more metered our), alters the damper control, slightly improves the steering weight and a modicum of other things that I am sure I haven't noticed. Big one was the way power gets delivered and the damping for me. Think I paid $200 AUD ... it's a set and forget job in the garage, just your car taking up a bay really so worth phoning around, perhaps do it when you're getting maintenance anyway.

HINT: If you wanna know what iStep version you're on, you can get an empty USB DRIVE, go into the iDrive settings > Profiles > export profile and save it onto the USB. Take the USB and put into a computer and open the .txt file it saved - it provides the version number in there.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mine is an early LCI (2016). The iStep was done as a request from me as it changes the power delivery (from somewhat abrupt at low revs to more metered our), alters the damper control, slightly improves the steering weight and a modicum of other things that I am sure I haven't noticed. Big one was the way power gets delivered and the damping for me. Think I paid $200 AUD ... it's a set and forget job in the garage, just your car taking up a bay really so worth phoning around, perhaps do it when you're getting maintenance anyway.

HINT: If you wanna know what iStep version you're on, you can get an empty USB DRIVE, go into the iDrive settings > Profiles > export profile and save it onto the USB. Take the USB and put into a computer and open the .txt file it saved - it provides the version number in there.
Thanks. Yeah was just curious how different my IStep version is from your original one. I've driven earlier production non comp cars and the power delivery was more brutal at earlier revs as you experienced. But my car is more tame in the lower revs which brings up the question of whether my current IStep would not be that different from the more recent version at least for power delivery.

Regardless, I think I may just code in GTS steering, CS MDM, CS EDM and GTS DCT since if I don't like it I can just reprogram it back to stock on my own time with less cost. Just waiting for EDC coding to be available on the THoR app...
Appreciate 1
mfurse182.00
      02-02-2020, 10:06 AM   #10
JeffO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Rear damper PN

Quote:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1687204

I'll simply quote my previous answer:
For later cars the rear dampers are the same part number for CS, CP, and Base. Change was sometime in 2016. So to mimic a CS for a later Base car you need rear bar and front dampers. For a CP car you need front bar, and all 4 springs. The base car rear springs are more linear than the CP springs (compared them side by side). Also the base springs are lighter. In my opinion adding the CP rear bar to the base car makes a worthwhile and economical improvement to the base car.
Appreciate 1
The_Werm212.00
      02-18-2020, 12:05 PM   #11
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO View Post
For later cars the rear dampers are the same part number for CS, CP, and Base. Change was sometime in 2016. So to mimic a CS for a later Base car you need rear bar and front dampers. For a CP car you need front bar, and all 4 springs. The base car rear springs are more linear than the CP springs (compared them side by side). Also the base springs are lighter. In my opinion adding the CP rear bar to the base car makes a worthwhile and economical improvement to the base car.
Was the change in rear dampers effective for (some) MY 2016 cars or cars with model production date sometime in 2016? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #12
RalphyBMW
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xDrive MSport

Mines a 9/16 build with the later dampers
      02-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #13
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffO View Post
What.....how have I missed this for so long?!?!? If this is true, then looks like CS damper settings are coming soon. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:08 AM   #14
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
What.....how have I missed this for so long?!?!? If this is true, then looks like CS damper settings are coming soon. Thank you.
Read carefully: only REAR dampers can be the same. The front are different.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50
      02-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #15
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Read carefully: only REAR dampers can be the same. The front are different.
This is why I always wait for your responses
Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      04-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #16
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For daily driving, I definitely prefer the new setup, it absorbs shocks and rough roads much better.

As for Sport+ mode, for the street I don't see a negative, but as earlier above, on the track it doesn't feel as planted under hard braking.

But once again, I'm not sure if those changes were due to the software update or the CS coding. I would have to code back to stock EDC with the latest software to have a good comparison, which I might do.
I’ve just had my base M3 coded to CS edc. As you explained, it is how I experienced the change. I’m on stock suspension. Def more compliant and I feel all modes are softer than before. Easier to drive as a daily driver (even in sport plus) but doesn’t feel as sporty which I may miss. There’s more dive/squat when accelerating in all modes in sport plus. I may try the zcp edc next.

Last edited by KeyBoy; 04-11-2020 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #17
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:

I’ve just had my base M3 coded to CS edc. As you explained, it is how I experienced the change. I’m on stock suspension. Def more compliant and I feel all modes are softer than before. Easier to drive as a daily driver (even in sport plus) but doesn’t feel as sporty which I may miss. There’s more dive/squat when accelerating in all modes in sport plus. I may try the zcp edc next.
What did you use to code edc?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #18
KeyBoy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I've just had my base M3 coded to CS edc. As you explained, it is how I experienced the change. I'm on stock suspension. Def more compliant and I feel all modes are softer than before. Easier to drive as a daily driver (even in sport plus) but doesn't feel as sporty which I may miss. There's more dive/squat when accelerating in all modes in sport plus. I may try the zcp edc next.
What did you use to code edc?
Alex@alpine coded it.
Appreciate 0