BPM
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Yesterday, 12:13 AM   #2267
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

I put on the MP suspension a couple weeks ago, and took a 300-mile round trip test today. Knock on wood, so far nothing has fallen off. I wasn't actually planning on installing it myself, but the local dealer's service manager, after initially seeming enthusiastic, essentially ghosted me. The next closest dealer is ~3 hours away, so the jackstands came out. I thought it felt good on the trip today (a bit harsher over sharp bumps, especially multiple in succession), and my passenger claimed she couldn't tell a difference from when it was stock.

Note to any DIYers who are uneasy about getting the proper torque on the rear shock absorber support bearings (the writeups I found on here have you just zipping the nut back on with an impact wrench): although only specified to be 38 Nm, the torque can't really be assured like the front struts since the nut isn't biting into anything that doesn't spin. After getting everything back together but then having some nervousness about it, I ordered this socket to see if I might be able to use a 10 mm box wrench to hold the shock absorber shaft still while using a torque wrench on the nut. It's too wide to make it down to the nut, however, so no joy there. Unfortunately, after removing/replacing the RR shock that second time I ended up with a chassis restriction. The electrical connections seemed secure, and jiggling them didn't help. Hopefully I just tweaked the acceleration sensor or something else simple when I was messing around with the shock again, but we'll see when I take it in for an alignment on Tuesday. Reports on here indicate the car might lock into the stiffest suspension setting when this happens, so that makes me even more enthusiastic for how it should feel. Fingers crossed for an easy fix.
      Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #2268
ryanb06
Rep
Drives: M4

Does anyone have a part number for the front threaded strut adapter and the perch/collars? I tried adjusting mine the other day and maybe a tiny stone got in there and jammed it. I figure I'll replace both.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:56 PM   #2269
literbikes
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G. Telesto M3 w/SO Stitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb06 View Post
Does anyone have a part number for the front threaded strut adapter and the perch/collars? I tried adjusting mine the other day and maybe a tiny stone got in there and jammed it. I figure I'll replace both.
65A 00 164 ID 13/17 (written on the blue mount)
65A 00 124 ID 51/17 (written on the black collar)(left)

No other part number in instructions. Unsure if you can order individual parts, consider contacting where you got kit for maybe warranted part. Those threads are delicate for sure. Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      Today, 10:21 AM   #2270
ryanb06
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by literbikes View Post
65A 00 164 ID 13/17 (written on the blue mount)
65A 00 124 ID 51/17 (written on the black collar)(left)

No other part number in instructions. Unsure if you can order individual parts, consider contacting where you got kit for maybe warranted part. Those threads are delicate for sure. Good luck.
Thanks very much!
Appreciate 0