Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-24-2022, 06:35 PM   #243
Motown65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumzh View Post
Thank you! That's some good info, I appreciate it!

What was your issue with the PS2+? Are they common issues or did you just have bad luck?

Yeah I guess I'll take my time and go for the whole package, I'm worried I won't feel a big difference if I just did turbos, since I have "fbo" + e85 at the moment.
I was fbo e85 and went ps2+ and it was a huge difference! once you get into the higher rpms and gears it just pulls hard
heitzke1152.50
M3ZCPNYC583.00
      09-24-2022, 08:10 PM   #244
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumzh View Post
Thank you! That's some good info, I appreciate it!

What was your issue with the PS2+? Are they common issues or did you just have bad luck?

Yeah I guess I'll take my time and go for the whole package, I'm worried I won't feel a big difference if I just did turbos, since I have "fbo" + e85 at the moment.
It's really hard to say on the turbos honestly. I've heard about other people having problems but it's pretty anecdotal. For everyone that has problems there are a few that have had zero issues. I've just had the rear turbo start leaking oil pretty soon into ownership twice. They replaced the whole CHRA the first time, so I don't know if it's just a bad overall unit or what.

I definitely felt a difference going from FBO to Pure, but I also didn't do full E85 before. The power differential between a FBO car on a hot E85 tune to a Pure turbo car doesn't seem like it's worth the cost without doing the fueling too. All imo of course. You'll make more power for sure, but it's fairly incremental for the cost vs. how easy/cheap power comes before that.
      09-24-2022, 08:38 PM   #245
M3ZCPNYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

FBO pure stage 2 plus and full e85 and flex
Fuel maps and the car is a animal.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 06:52 PM   #246
Joy15779
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Good day mates.
I m Giorgio from Italy.
My car bmw m4 f82 stage 3 (or 4).
Eventuri intake, Akrapovic skat, no opf (stupid thing done),plasma coils, mishimoto IC, oil and water coolers. Dorch pump, kratos turbo, halim ecu stage 3 1.8 har,now carillo pistons and arrow connecting rods plus reinforced bearings. Crank hub, dodson clutch 1000nm, what else....probably other but stock ron 100 despite I have meth injection but Don not want to use now. What is the power expected? Running now at bottom line 720hp. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 06:55 PM   #247
M3SLOW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

Hey guys so I recently took my F80 on the dyno for a custom MHD tuning. I made 550whp/538tq with upgraded Pure stage 2+ & only other mods that's done to the car is Rk Downpipes, Full FI Exhuast, NGK 506 cold plugs (Gapped), Gintani Crank Hub, CSF Heat exchanger, CSF Dct Tran Cooler & MST Cold Air Intake. I'd seen other people on here will similar mods on here making more power then this so I would just like to hear from you guys and see if you guys find this power gain from the current mods normal or it doesn't add up. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 10:21 PM   #248
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SLOW View Post
Hey guys so I recently took my F80 on the dyno for a custom MHD tuning. I made 550whp/538tq with upgraded Pure stage 2+ & only other mods that's done to the car is Rk Downpipes, Full FI Exhuast, NGK 506 cold plugs (Gapped), Gintani Crank Hub, CSF Heat exchanger, CSF Dct Tran Cooler & MST Cold Air Intake. I'd seen other people on here will similar mods on here making more power then this so I would just like to hear from you guys and see if you guys find this power gain from the current mods normal or it doesn't add up. Thank you!
Yeah that's really low, even being on stock fueling like that. Do you have any logs of the runs or tuning? It's hard to say why without seeing what you're running as far as boost, timing, etc.
      05-16-2023, 09:11 PM   #249
ralphsmithiii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzke View Post
Still kicking along! Honestly, i'd do it differently and not do the Pures again since i'm about to have to pull the rear turbo for the 2nd time to send back. At the VERY least I'd do the EU5's with some bigger turbos and give you a tiny bit of headroom.

I ordered a set of Mosselman turbos to replace my Pures with and then also had the Dorch lift kit, EU5 and Precision Raceworks Stage 3 brushless lpfp done so I have room for straight E85.

Going back to the start, I'd do all the fueling and turbos at once. I've really enjoyed the car at the power levels i've had, but it's such an incremental jump over a hot E-tune on a stock turbo car if you don't do the bigger fueling with the bigger turbos.

I haven't finished up this next phase yet, but assuming stock motor I'd do:

- Dorch lift kit
- EU5's
- PR Stage 3 brushless lpfp

... and then i'd make the call to either do a 4N single turbo, Mosselman or maybe Kratos depending on your power goals and budget. Mosselman seem to be perfect for stock motor vehicles, and the others should have more headroom for bigger power.

Tuning is a huge factor too and i'd probably have gone Ecutek somewhere here in the middle and working with Bend Calibration. BM3 was great for me in various other stages of the vehicle but even in my initial tuning states w/ Bend the car feels like a big power factory vehicle vs. where it always felt more like a tuner car on BM3. Nothing wrong with that per se, but there's artistry in the subtle aspects of tuning.
Did you ever get the Mosselmans installed and tuned? I'd love to see your full setup and what it did on the dyno (assuming you had it dyno'd) and any 60-130's. I posted early today looking for insight on the Pures vs Mosselmans with some data to support it. As you mentioned, you had at least 2 issues with your Pures and while that may be bad luck and/or in the minority, I'd love to get your thoughts if you made the switch.
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      05-17-2023, 10:28 AM   #250
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphsmithiii View Post
Did you ever get the Mosselmans installed and tuned? I'd love to see your full setup and what it did on the dyno (assuming you had it dyno'd) and any 60-130's. I posted early today looking for insight on the Pures vs Mosselmans with some data to support it. As you mentioned, you had at least 2 issues with your Pures and while that may be bad luck and/or in the minority, I'd love to get your thoughts if you made the switch.
I did actually! I've been really happy with them and their responsiveness. They definitely do spool faster than the 2+. Unfortunately I can't apples to apples comparison since I was on stock fueling system with the Pures. I tried to get it fully tuned w/ Bend but that's when I had my second major turbo problem.

Whole setup is:

Mosselman turbos
Stock intakes w/ BMC filters and charcoal filters removed
MAAD fatboy catless downpipes
VRSF single mid-pipe
Dinan axle-back
Dorch lift kit
EU5 injectors
Precision Raceworks Stage 3 brushless LPFP
Bend Calibration ultimate flex-fuel kit
Tuned on Ecutek by Bend Calibration

My car is a 6mt so with that in mind I've run a few 6.3X's 60-130, but with my new rear setup (18" Apex VS-5RS w/ 315 Toyo 888R's) I can hook up much better so I expect something around 6.0-6.1. I'm not sure if I'll break into the 5's with it but another member astris has been able to run 5.6X's in his DCT car. I believe his is tuned a little more aggressively than mine, but power shouldn't be that much different.

Seems like 6mt cars are generally around .5s slower than the DCT cars with similar power in the 60-130's.

I do plan on getting on the dyno, I just haven't made the time to do it yet and i've been fighting with my 02 sensors a little the last week or two haha.
      05-17-2023, 03:49 PM   #251
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
As heitzke mentioned, I’ve run quite a few 5.6X 60-130s. That was on 285/30/20 R888R too. I have a bit more tire now, but temps are higher now too and DAs worse. I think I have a chance at 5.5X come fall/winter.

Still haven’t had a single hiccup with the setup so far either.
      05-18-2023, 11:53 AM   #252
ralphsmithiii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzke View Post
I did actually! I've been really happy with them and their responsiveness. They definitely do spool faster than the 2+. Unfortunately I can't apples to apples comparison since I was on stock fueling system with the Pures. I tried to get it fully tuned w/ Bend but that's when I had my second major turbo problem.

Whole setup is:

Mosselman turbos
Stock intakes w/ BMC filters and charcoal filters removed
MAAD fatboy catless downpipes
VRSF single mid-pipe
Dinan axle-back
Dorch lift kit
EU5 injectors
Precision Raceworks Stage 3 brushless LPFP
Bend Calibration ultimate flex-fuel kit
Tuned on Ecutek by Bend Calibration

My car is a 6mt so with that in mind I've run a few 6.3X's 60-130, but with my new rear setup (18" Apex VS-5RS w/ 315 Toyo 888R's) I can hook up much better so I expect something around 6.0-6.1. I'm not sure if I'll break into the 5's with it but another member astris has been able to run 5.6X's in his DCT car. I believe his is tuned a little more aggressively than mine, but power shouldn't be that much different.

Seems like 6mt cars are generally around .5s slower than the DCT cars with similar power in the 60-130's.

I do plan on getting on the dyno, I just haven't made the time to do it yet and i've been fighting with my 02 sensors a little the last week or two haha.
Awesome! I'm building out mine to be similar yours and astris . The once piece of hardware I'm having a hard time getting a concrete answer on is the requirement for the LPFP upgrade. One tuner says its needed but haven't verified if its "required" while the other says it's not needed if I have EU5's and Dorch, when running E85. That leads to me to believe either, 1 is wrong, or its tuner preference. Or, it "depends" on the health of the stock LPFP.

Otherwise, I'm looking to pull the trigger shortly on the upgrades myself and joining the club! The Pure's have a great rep overall and its being heavy recommended so they are still on the table but the spool time that's a couple of you guys are saying is very appealing, too!
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      05-18-2023, 11:59 AM   #253
ralphsmithiii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
As heitzke mentioned, I’ve run quite a few 5.6X 60-130s. That was on 285/30/20 R888R too. I have a bit more tire now, but temps are higher now too and DAs worse. I think I have a chance at 5.5X come fall/winter.

Still haven’t had a single hiccup with the setup so far either.
I found your car via Bend's IG and was like, "that's it!". It's good to hear yours is still running with no issues. The biggest knock I hear about the Mosselmans is their time to market with these turbos and to a degree I agree. But, if nobody rolls the dice then...

I'm assuming you ran the 285/20 R888Rs on stock wheels? What tire/wheel setup are you running now? My concern with this much power is trying to street tune it, although I know you can log in 4th gear to help reduce the wheel spin but with 600ftlbs at 3-4k rpm, I can still see that being a handful on a max performance 20 inch tire, like I have.

I'll probably pick up a set of 18's with a 275/35/18 and 305/35/18 although I'm curious if there's a 19 inch setup that can hold your type of power during some trips to Mexico. Drag racing, no way...lol.
Appreciate 1
astris610.50
      05-18-2023, 02:04 PM   #254
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I found your car via Bend's IG and was like, "that's it!". It's good to hear yours is still running with no issues. The biggest knock I hear about the Mosselmans is their time to market with these turbos and to a degree I agree. But, if nobody rolls the dice then...

I'm assuming you ran the 285/20 R888Rs on stock wheels? What tire/wheel setup are you running now? My concern with this much power is trying to street tune it, although I know you can log in 4th gear to help reduce the wheel spin but with 600ftlbs at 3-4k rpm, I can still see that being a handful on a max performance 20 inch tire, like I have.

I'll probably pick up a set of 18's with a 275/35/18 and 305/35/18 although I'm curious if there's a 19 inch setup that can hold your type of power during some trips to Mexico. Drag racing, no way...lol.
FWIW I had terrible traction issues on my 295/19 pilot sports so I put together a rear setup of 18 Apex VS-5RS with 315 888R's and hook up really well now from 3rd gear rolls. I can even hit anti-lag hard from 3rd and it just goes.

Car was pretty sketchy before that and had to do all my logs in 4th (i'm a 6MT car too).
      05-18-2023, 03:18 PM   #255
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Awesome! I'm building out mine to be similar yours and astris . The once piece of hardware I'm having a hard time getting a concrete answer on is the requirement for the LPFP upgrade. One tuner says its needed but haven't verified if its "required" while the other says it's not needed if I have EU5's and Dorch, when running E85. That leads to me to believe either, 1 is wrong, or its tuner preference. Or, it "depends" on the health of the stock LPFP.

Otherwise, I'm looking to pull the trigger shortly on the upgrades myself and joining the club! The Pure's have a great rep overall and its being heavy recommended so they are still on the table but the spool time that's a couple of you guys are saying is very appealing, too!
If you're running EU5s, Dorch lift kit, and want to make the most out of E85, I would highly recommend an LPFP. The PR Stage 3 Brushless is relatively inexpensive (for the M world) and is totally plug and play. No custom fuel lines or anything else to mess with.
Quote:

Ha, that's awesome! I was between Mosselman and Full Race. Mosselman was in stock, cheap, use new units, super low core charge, and shipped to my door in 3 days from the Netherlands.

Yeah, I was on stock wheels with the 285 R888R. On high E% I couldn't hook at all in 3rd without some rolling burnouts before the hit. I'm in Seattle though, so temps are moderate/cool/cold like 8 months of the year. lol. 4th gear logging was safe enough. I think the logs were showing some slip at high E percentages, but I still felt in control at all times.

Just got Apex 19" VS5-RS with 305/30/19 R888R rears. Still can't hook up in 3rd all the time, but definitely better grip overall. I had KW Clubsport 3 Ways installed at the same time, so it's hard to tell how much is tire vs suspension. Super easy to control the car while spinning though. If I had to throw out a totally subjective number, I'd say like a 30-50% improvement in rear traction.

Oh and the stock 285 PS4S I had when we first started tuning were like banana peels.