European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #1
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

KW HAS Verse MP HAS

I am in the process of either going with the KW HAS or the MP HAS setup for F80 M3 with ZCP.

I have a few questions and understand that many of these questions may and have been covered in the past.

What HAS kit have people had less issues in the long term?

Known installation issues or things to avoid during the install process.

What has been the lowering setting in the front and rear with OEM 666 rims and the M Performance front Lip?

I decided on a 1.1 drop in the front and .50 in the rear with the M-Perforamce front spoiler

What spacers have been used with the OEM 666 rims?

I have not decided on a set up but it looks like 12mm front and 10mm rear based on measurements.

Last any other thoughts around with either HAS kit which should I be made aware of?

Last edited by FastM3CT; 04-22-2020 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

I’m constantly debating on what to do. Interesting to hear more about these products. Currently super intrigued about MSS Kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Both are made by KW. The difference is in the engineering - people rave about the MP HAS kit because it's very clear it was designed and engineered specifically for the car and transforms the adaptive suspension to something it should have been from the factory. The KW HAS kit is good too, but it seems to be a bit more harsh and less refined, which is likely due to far less attention to suspension engineering and more towards getting the car lower.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the thoughts and input, any issues which most are having? Lowering preferences with and without spacers?

Love to see pictures on the lowest settings
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Seems like the only difference between the two is in spring rates, with the KW being a bit harsher. I have MP HAS with 12 mm spacers all around and 437m. It’s a pretty significant improvement (more than I was expecting) so I think it’s worth it. Currently set with about 3 threads left in front and 2 left in the rear, so there is maybe a 1/4” of lowering potential remaining.
Attached Images

04-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's seems like from all the reading here and feedback from everyone the KW HAS set up will be perfect long term.

Trying to decide on the drop setting now..

Thinking going 1.0 in the front and .50-.75 in the rear.

I am not going to running spacers from the start and measure the car after the install hopefully Friday.

Picture of the car below. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Seems like the only difference between the two is in spring rates, with the KW being a bit harsher. I have MP HAS with 12 mm spacers all around and 437m. It’s a pretty significant improvement (more than I was expecting) so I think it’s worth it. Currently set with about 3 threads left in front and 2 left in the rear, so there is maybe a 1/4” of lowering potential remaining.
Thank you for the input and appreciate it. The car looks perfect with the spacers along with the drop.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 12:02 AM   #8
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastM3CT View Post
It's seems like from all the reading here and feedback from everyone the KW HAS set up will be perfect long term.

I am not going to running spacers from the start and measure the car after the install hopefully Friday.

Hey carM3kee, do you remember what the drop on your F80 was?
      04-07-2020, 06:07 AM   #9
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:

Just my 2 cents, but stay closer to 0.50 in than 0.75 in the rear. Your shocks will thank you, and your ride will be better, at least in my experience.

Not sure if KW has the same max drop as M Perf, but I went max drop in front and all is perfect. Went conservative in the rear because my previous Macht Schnell springs rode like garbage in the rear at -18mm. Use this information for what it's worth to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #10
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Just my 2 cents, but stay closer to 0.50 in than 0.75 in the rear. Your shocks will thank you, and your ride will be better, at least in my experience.

Not sure if KW has the same max drop as M Perf, but I went max drop in front and all is perfect. Went conservative in the rear because my previous Macht Schnell springs rode like garbage in the rear at -18mm. Use this information for what it's worth to you.
This very important feedback and importantly making sure the handling-ride is not comprised. Balance and rake is very important....

So after taking measurements and making sure both are spot on, it appears the drop in the front is or should be 1.1 and rear is .50-.60.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #11
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have decided on the KW HAS setup, and hoping to install it on Friday-Saturday.

I have a set of AA down pipes which will go on at the same time.

last, I will be flashing Bootmod3 stage 2...

I have to say HUGE THANK YOU to Mike at X-PH and Active Autowerke... Thank you for all your help... Truly FIRST CLASS..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #12
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update...

I had the KW HAS set up and Active Autowerke's downpipes installed yesterday in Springdale AR by Administration Motorsports.

Their webpage https://www.administrationmotorsports.com

The install was flawless by them and they are just an amazing motorsport shop!

Jeremy and Nate are absolutely some of the best true car guys and techs I have seen in a very long time! More to come on this in a full review and pictures to follow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2020, 10:41 PM   #13
Jwild90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04'E46ZHP 20' F82M4Comp

Quote:
Update...

I had the KW HAS set up and Active Autowerke's downpipes installed yesterday in Springdale AR by Administration Motorsports.

Their webpage https://www.administrationmotorsports.com

The install was flawless by them and they are just an amazing motorsport shop!

Jeremy and Nate are absolutely some of the best true car guys and techs I have seen in a very long time! More to come on this in a full review and pictures to follow.
What was main reason for you to go with KW instead of MP? and how do you like it so far? I was leaning more towards MP route...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 08:36 AM   #14
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwild90 View Post
What was main reason for you to go with KW instead of MP? and how do you like it so far? I was leaning more towards MP route...

I spent many hours researching, along with understand the design of both kits.

I did not see enough benefit spending additional money for the M- Performance set up when then kits are close in design.

I have had the KW HAS set up on the car for about two weeks and really enjoy it.

From a feel stand point it's not harsh or bumpy in any what's over, the handling is tighter and more planted to the ground. No strange sounds or issues as some of the members here have me mentioned in posts.

I would do the same kit again or I would goto a full coil-over setup.

Last point I would add is it has greater range lowering/higher options.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #15
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

How much F/R did you end up lowering the car ? Did you notice a significant difference in ride quality change ?
TIA
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 08:52 AM   #16
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
How much F/R did you end up lowering the car ? Did you notice a significant difference in ride quality change ?
TIA
The car was lowered
1.1F
.50R

As for the ride, my feedback is that the car is tighter turning in and out of corners, much more planted and feels balanced.

The ride around town or using the car as daily driver is not impacted as some others many have mentioned. Its not bouncy, harsh or any strange sounds
Appreciate 2
pikkagtr3847.00
Gtracer52.50
      04-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #17
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
I did not see enough benefit spending additional money for the M- Performance set up when then kits are close in design.
They're really not that close in design, though, if you compare the TÜV certificates for both HAS systems. It's a common misconception on this forum made by people to justify their purchase.

Issue here is that vast majority of people post up their thoughts on new suspension straight after install. On the rare occasion when they do come back after at least several thousand miles, it's usually a different story as to how it's been holding up, especially true for springs/HAS.
      04-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #18
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Quote:
The car was lowered
1.1F
.50R

As for the ride, my feedback is that the car is tighter turning in and out of corners, much more planted and feels balanced.

The ride around town or using the car as daily driver is not impacted as some others many have mentioned. Its not bouncy, harsh or any strange sounds
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #19
Jwild90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04'E46ZHP 20' F82M4Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
They're really not that close in design, though, if you compare the TÜV certificates for both HAS systems. It's a common misconception on this forum made by people to justify their purchase.

Issue here is that vast majority of people post up their thoughts on new suspension straight after install. On the rare occasion when they do come back after at least several thousand miles, it's usually a different story as to how it's been holding up, especially true for springs/HAS.
What set up are you running? are you saying MP will hold up better in long run?
I dont mind spending more if it will last longer lol
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #20
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post

Thanks for the thoughts, my comments were targeted that they are close but not the same which is true. I did review the TUV documents prior to better understand the kits.

I am only providing feedback after two weeks around ride and thoughts to date. I am very particular when I decide what products will go on a car and only after I dive very deep into design. Sadly my engineering background kicks in

As time goes on, I will monitor and provide additional feedback as time goes on and post/update in the future for all to make a descion based on their needs and goals.
Appreciate 1
swagon13482.50
      04-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #21
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwild90 View Post
What set up are you running? are you saying MP will hold up better in long run?
I dont mind spending more if it will last longer lol
I can't say which kit will last longer as of today but I will say I think both will work for the long term as good solutions.

I think both kits are good and make sense with out question.

I decided on the KW HAS setup.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #22
FastM3CT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

A few pictures after the install and waiting for the suspension to settle some, which then I will post additional pictures and measurements.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Redacre363.50
TopJimmy5392.50
Gtracer52.50