BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

09-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Very interesting article on carbon wheels

Parts 7, 9, and 10 in particular.

https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-rev...iber-wheels/7/
https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-rev...iber-wheels/9/
https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-rev...ber-wheels/10/

So I wonder how much factory GTS track testing was done with the carbon wheels?... (See part 10.) Hmmm https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1335015

Critique of magazine lap time testing protocol in part 9 is spot on and relevant to a certain other endless discussion here in the subforum, and at least one user's expressed opinion in that discussion, but I digress.

Appreciate 1
Teeone156.00
      09-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
Teeone
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Thanks for sharing. Interesting. I’d like to also see a test that resembles a pothole test. Will the carbon wheel hold up? I like how they made the visual of the wheels, where they show a flex angle of 1 degree actually appear to be more like 15 degrees. However, the tire wear does show the result.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:11 AM   #3
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Very interresting article. Thank you for sharing.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeone View Post
Thanks for sharing. Interesting. I’d like to also see a test that resembles a pothole test. Will the carbon wheel hold up? I like how they made the visual of the wheels, where they show a flex angle of 1 degree actually appear to be more like 15 degrees. However, the tire wear does show the result.
Check out part 5 on strength. Pretty compelling. https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-rev...iber-wheels/5/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Very interresting article. Thank you for sharing.

Nice CS!

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8

Carbon Fiber Wheel Issue

There are other posts on this subject on this forum. Will give a brief based on experience. The CF wheels are very strong, but have a serious flaw. On the front, the gap between the brake caliper and the wheel is very small. If you get a build up between the wheel and the caliper, it will score the wheel. Can be caused by track trash or street trash, especially rocks. Once scored, the wheels can deteriorate. Make sure you check your wheels regularly. BMW will replace them under warranty
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #6
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2002cs View Post
There are other posts on this subject on this forum. Will give a brief based on experience. The CF wheels are very strong, but have a serious flaw. On the front, the gap between the brake caliper and the wheel is very small. If you get a build up between the wheel and the caliper, it will score the wheel. Can be caused by track trash or street trash, especially rocks. Once scored, the wheels can deteriorate. Make sure you check your wheels regularly. BMW will replace them under warranty
This happens with the standard 19" fronts too. At least one of mine is scored.

You've successfully replaced under warranty? What was the claim reason/language? Thanks

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
phantomF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Check out part 5 on strength. Pretty compelling. https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-rev...iber-wheels/5/

Nice CS!
That chart is misleading. A pure carbon fiber tow in the direction of the fiber may have strength near that, but a carbon fiber reinforced plastic composite part will not. CFRP is very strong, but it's very directional with fairly weak interlaminate properties that could lead to delamination. That's the main thing to watch for on these CFRP wheels. When you hit a pothole, the first failure mode will likely be delamination rather than anything in the direction of the fiber.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomF80 View Post
That chart is misleading. A pure carbon fiber tow in the direction of the fiber may have strength near that, but a carbon fiber reinforced plastic composite part will not. CFRP is very strong, but it's very directional with fairly weak interlaminate properties that could lead to delamination. That's the main thing to watch for on these CFRP wheels. When you hit a pothole, the first failure mode will likely be delamination rather than anything in the direction of the fiber.
You're more informed on this than I am. Did you read the entire section on strength? Not buying it?

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #9
phantomF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
You're more informed on this than I am. Did you read the entire section on strength? Not buying it?
I will say the article overstate the advantages of carbon. I am a big advocate of CFRP, but that also means I am a realist on its pros and cons. CFRP is a orthopedic material, unlike metals. It means it’s strong in one direction, but weaker in others. Also, typical CFRP parts are laminates build up in layers using either carbon tape or carbon cloth, with resins holding the fibers together. Because of this construction method, the properties are weakest between tapes/clothes inside the laminate. It doesn’t take much to trigger a delamination if force is normal/perpendicular to the surface of the part. One issue with this failure is that delamination may not be visible to naked eyes, but may still be big enough to weaken over laminate strength.

In any case, strength of CFRP is tricky to quantify, so I just want to caution people against claims from manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

If you really want to dig into this subject research mountain bike wheels. We have the most testing and understanding of the relative benefits and drawbacks of carbon wheels in the most extreme conditions.

In my personal experience carbon wheels are significantly stronger and more durable than aluminum by every metric. In addition the stiffness and directional flex can be tuned in order to gain whatever characteristics are required. Challenges to carbon are well known, specifically deep scratches that break the strands will create a failure point and the part needs to be replaced immediately. Second is sharp impacts such potholes. My personal experience on this aspect is that any impact that will damage carbon will absolutely destroy aluminum. One other note here is that when carbon fails, it fails spectacularly. If there is an unrecognized issue such a scratch or crack and the wheel is pushed you will see a massive failure when it goes. Because of this it is highly recommended to regularly check for issues especially after sharp impacts (track curbing will not be an issue because they lack sharp edges).

The major caveat here is that the auto industry has way less testing and experience with carbon than the bicycle industry. They do have significantly more resources for testing, but nothing beats real world abuse to understand what normal people will put them through.
Appreciate 0