Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #45
Mthrice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M3 Tanzanite/Blk, 15 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Instructor View Post
Once you have set up the app for track and choose the camera you'll be looking at a screen that has video image, a red button on the top left, the center has a small checkered flag, green vertical bars and a camera pictogram and to the right you'll see a pictogram of a wrench, press that and that will show you the options. To calibrate the g-meter, long press on the g-meter in the left bottom of the screen.
Thank you

2008 M3 BRP 2:08.4 Big Willow 1:37.8 SOW CW 1:29.0 Chuckwalla CW 2:07.4 LS 1:46.7 ACS 2:00.7
2010 GT-R BRP 1:55.3 Big Willow 1:32.0 SOW CCW 1:23.4 Chuckwalla CCW 2:02.5 Chuckwalla CW 2:00.1 LS 1:41.2 ACS 1:50.6
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #46
Racing Instructor
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrice View Post
Thank you
Anytime Mthrice
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #47
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Harry’s LapTimer but using a GoPro 5 BE for video instead of the phone. Works well imo. But I’ve had issues getting it to trigger reliabily for autox.

For longer lapping sessions it should be easier.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 10:34 PM   #48
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dim635csi View Post
I'm using M Performance Drive Analyzer (OBD2 dongle) with iPhone 8 in Ram X mount. While it shakes a lot (I think iPhone 8 has optical image stabilization, which you cannot turn off, and it makes it worse at high vibrations)
Still, iPhone app can make nice video overlays, and you have all your telemetry on hand as unencoded csv file, so you may use other software to overlay with another video source.
I just recently purchased the M Drive Analyser - and I cannot get that particular video display (using the iPhone 6S) where it shows the actual track diagram in upper left corner of video, information about the track and those particular guages in the video itself - I'm only allowed to chose between "standard" and "action" views for track recording. How does one get the track diagram, name of the track and those guages superimposed on the video? (help)!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #49
Harpinc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

Harry’s LapTimer but using a GoPro 5 BE for video instead of the phone. Works well imo. But I’ve had issues getting it to trigger reliabily for autox.

For longer lapping sessions it should be easier.

I set the track record at Homestead "Clockwise" in Rotax Max Masters a few years ago at Florida Winter Tour.. Love that track..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:25 PM   #50
dim635csi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
I just recently purchased the M Drive Analyser - and I cannot get that particular video display (using the iPhone 6S) where it shows the actual track diagram in upper left corner of video, information about the track and those particular guages in the video itself - I'm only allowed to chose between "standard" and "action" views for track recording. How does one get the track diagram, name of the track and those guages superimposed on the video? (help)!!!!
When you've selected particular run in Archive, use Export button below, and select Video when asked (another option is Data - never tried it). After you allow MDA to access your Photos on the phone, it will process and put phone captured video with car like gauges video overlay to your Photos app. Then you can watch it there, or transfer it to your Mac using Image Capture utility.
"If you want a car for track use, if want to go every other weekend fight-to-fight stopwatch to your local track: go for PDK, definitely. If you use the car, maybe not on track but as a daily commuter going through traffic: take the PDK. But you want a driver's car, a fun car: take the manual. [...]"
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #51
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpinc View Post
I set the track record at Homestead "Clockwise" in Rotax Max Masters a few years ago at Florida Winter Tour.. Love that track..
Nice, what were you driving and what was your time?
Hoping to do another day at Homestead in the fall.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #52
Harpinc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Karting...I was racing Rotax Max Masters class at the Florida Winter Tour. I will have to look up the time..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #53
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Quote:
When you've selected particular run in Archive, use Export button below, and select Video when asked (another option is Data - never tried it). After you allow MDA to access your Photos on the phone, it will process and put phone captured video with car like gauges video overlay to your Photos app. Then you can watch it there, or transfer it to your Mac using Image Capture utility.
Quote:
Quote:
Excellent - I'll give that a try and thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #54
Harpinc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Nice, what were you driving and what was your time?
Hoping to do another day at Homestead in the fall.
48 second lap time
Appreciate 0