EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

12-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #23
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
14. Remove the downpipes – The downpipes are now free to be removed. Each downpipe is held onto the turbocharger by a v-band clamp. Locate the 13mm bolt on the clamp and remove it. Force open the clamp (may require some effort) which will release the downpipe from the turbocharger. Remove the downpipes.
TIP A air ratchet is a near must to loosen the v-band clamp. It would take much longer, very longer if you had to use a wrench or socket.

Remember the orientation of the v-band for installation ease.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #24
overlook637
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Yes disconnecting the primary o2 sensors. Only way to get at them is through the top.

If you don't unclip them then you will be forced to unscrew them on the downpipes, which will torque and twist the cord. Not something thats recommended. By undoing them from the top you remove the downpipes completely from the car and then undo the o2 sensors on the bench.

You don't want to damage them as they are pricey

Mike
My top o2's were on pretty tight. I gave up on the bottom only removal method and reverted to this DIY.

I used generous anti-sieze on installation and applied just enough torque. Maybe they will be easier to change if/when the o2s need replacing.
Appreciate 1
EGbeater116.50
      01-15-2023, 07:28 PM   #25
djben
noob.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMGII, 911 Turbo (997)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlook637 View Post
My top o2's were on pretty tight. I gave up on the bottom only removal method and reverted to this DIY.

I used generous anti-sieze on installation and applied just enough torque. Maybe they will be easier to change if/when the o2s need replacing.
I don't know why people recommend doing this from only underneath the car to save time...

Removing and reinstalling the O2 sensors from the downpipes while installed is a major PITA - there is barely any clearance to work with.

It isn't worth it. For anyone reading this, just unhook the O2 sensors from above the motor and pull them out with the downpipe.
E46 M3 SMGII : No Sunroof : GC Coils : GC FCAB : Powerflex RTAB : Rogue RSM : H&R Sways : Stoptech 4-wheel BBK : SSR Comp 19" : BW Oil Cooler : CSL headers : UUC mid-pipe : Pulleys : Gruppe M Exhaust : 4.10 gears : 301 WHP (Epic): Recaro Sportster CS
911 Turbo 6MT : Locking Rear Diff: GMG Springs/Sways: RSS Engine Mounts : GT2 Clutch Conversion
Appreciate 1
EGbeater116.50