European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

03-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 F82 M4 ZCP Black/Black

Coded my new one yday

Coded my '15 M4 with Enet/Esys and it was very useful and super effective but a bit of a chore getting setup correctly and going through all the settings. I tried Bimmercode with my '18 M4 using the Bluetooth Adapter with an Android S7 Edge. Worked great, clearly it has a few small limitations like I couldn't get the V0 changed for 6NS but if you are looking for all the normal coding options then I highly recommend it for ease, yes a little more expensive than the Enet way but honestly the convenience is so nice, plus changing anything is super fast with the app vs the notebook and esys. If you want to do some super adv unusual coding you may need esys but for the regular stuff I found Bimmercode to work well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 10:50 AM   #46
ampelio
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxKing View Post
There are two options when buying the connector; which is the most preferred?

1.Connecting with the "Vgate iCar 2/3/Pro WiFi" adapter (iOS and Android)
2.Connecting with the "Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0" adapter (iOS)

WiFi is definitely the better option. It provides a more stable connection. The adapter that worked best for me is this one....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12303344811...&ul_noapp=true
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 10:56 AM   #47
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampelio View Post
Quote:
There are two options when buying the connector; which is the most preferred?

1.Connecting with the "Vgate iCar 2/3/Pro WiFi" adapter (iOS and Android)
2.Connecting with the "Vgate iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0" adapter (iOS)

WiFi is definitely the better option. It provides a more stable connection. The adapter that worked best for me is this one....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12303344811...;ul_noapp=true
I bought the same one on Amazon - $20
Worked like a charm and now I'm debating if I should just return it since there are no other codes that I'd want to change - if only there was a larger cheat sheet with more coding options..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #48
ampelio
Banned
Rep

Quote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12303344811...&ul_noapp=true
Quote:
Worked like a charm and now I'm debating if I should just return it since there are no other codes that I'd want to change - if only there was a larger cheat sheet with more coding options..
Nice! At the time, the lowest price I found was $25, so I offered him $22 and he accepted.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #49
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Received mine yesterday, and it's exactly as described; easy plug and play. Took me all of 5 minutes to plug in and code pretty much everything I would want off the bat. Hopefully more ppl contribute to this thread for more help with coding in expert mode.
What all did you code? What are all of the options?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 05:56 PM   #50
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12303344811...;ul_noapp=true
Quote:
Nice! At the time, the lowest price I found was $25, so I offered him $22 and he accepted.
Amazon had them as low as $13! It depended on the color combination you wanted.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #51
ampelio
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Amazon had them as low as $13! It depended on the color combination you wanted.
I think that was for the Bluetooth version only. The Wifi version is more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 06:01 PM   #52
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post
Quote:
Received mine yesterday, and it's exactly as described; easy plug and play. Took me all of 5 minutes to plug in and code pretty much everything I would want off the bat. Hopefully more ppl contribute to this thread for more help with coding in expert mode.
What all did you code? What are all of the options?
Brightened my halos; which I'm not sure was all that noticeable bc I did the coding in the afternoon.

Turned off the side markers when the low beams are on.

ASD OFF - this was very noticeable.

Volume bar off when adjusting up or down.
Appreciate 1
jninja514.50
      03-24-2018, 08:28 AM   #53
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Got the vgate wifi module (thought it would be more stable than the Bluetooth one) and I'm getting an error when trying to code that says "The connection with the adapter is not stable enough and coding may fail." and the only option is to disconnect. Reading the modules works fine.

Has anyone gotten this before?
      03-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #54
TMD29
Don't care
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 SO M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
Got the vgate wifi module (thought it would be more stable than the Bluetooth one) and I'm getting an error when trying to code that says "The connection with the adapter is not stable enough and coding may fail." and the only option is to disconnect. Reading the modules works fine.

Yes, but I rebooted the phone and turned on airplane mode then reconnected. So I always reboot my phone prior to coding to be safe and never had an issue after that.
If you continue to have issues you may want to exchange the module for another.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #55
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD29 View Post
Quote:

Yes, but I rebooted the phone and turned on airplane mode then reconnected. So I always reboot my phone prior to coding to be safe and never had an issue after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD29 View Post
Quote:

Tried that and same thing (was using airplane mode initially). Also tried using another phone. First attempt when phone #2 gave "error during coding" and second attempt gave the unstable message.

Before exchanging my adapter, I'd like to be sure this is an adapter issue and not an Android compatibility issue (not sure if I mentioned I'm using Android). Reading the ECUs and coding works... Not sure why that would work if something was wrong with the adapter.
      03-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #56
Sinnakle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 SO M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
My bluetooth just came in today. This thread made me want to switch from iCarly. After checking Bimmercodes demo mode I was sold. Demo mode was a really good idea. Just from Demo mode it looks to be a bit more fleshed out than iCarly. I turned on expert mode in Carly, but I didn't see any difference to regular mode.

Does anyone know if the information/data is all stored locally? I'm guessing it is, but wanted to check to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 10:02 AM   #57
TMD29
Don't care
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 SO M3 ZCP

Quote:
Tried that and same thing (was using airplane mode initially). Also tried using another phone. First attempt when phone #2 gave "error during coding" and second attempt gave the unstable message.

Before exchanging my adapter, I'd like to be sure this is an adapter issue and not an Android compatibility issue (not sure if I mentioned I'm using Android). Reading the ECUs and coding works... Not sure why that would work if something was wrong with the adapter.
I'm using an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) and always set to airplane mode while coding. I would assume if both phones are having issues then the adapter is the problem. I would exchange the adapter.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #58
JTM09
BMW addict
Rep
Drives: German cars

Quote:

did you try going into the settings and turn on 'slow communication' - I read somewhere that this will solve some connection issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinnakle View Post
My bluetooth just came in today. This thread made me want to switch from iCarly. After checking Bimmercodes demo mode I was sold. Demo mode was a really good idea. Just from Demo mode it looks to be a bit more fleshed out than iCarly. I turned on expert mode in Carly, but I didn't see any difference to regular mode.

Does anyone know if the information/data is all stored locally? I'm guessing it is, but wanted to check to make sure.
per Stephan @ bimmercode: "the backups are stored in the apps documents directory. You can access them with iTunes file sharing. The backups are stored based on the VIN"
      03-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #59
Sinnakle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 SO M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM09 View Post
did you try going into the settings and turn on 'slow communication' - I read somewhere that this will solve some connection issues.

per Stephan @ bimmercode: "the backups are stored in the apps documents directory. You can access them with iTunes file sharing. The backups are stored based on the VIN"

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #60
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

i checked on the bimmercode website, but wasn't able to figure out: is it possible to code out rev matching using the app? i was set to go the E-Sys route, but this looks easier
      03-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #61
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM09 View Post
Quote:

Don't seem to have that option in the settings. Just the toggle for wifi/Bluetooth
      03-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #62
JTM09
BMW addict
Rep
Drives: German cars

^ hmm that is odd. It is right there in my setting screen. This is for iphone tho.
      03-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #63
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep

I had connectivity issues the first time I used mine as well. Turns out that my connection was only held when my car was idling, i.e. not just the 1 press ignition mode. Not sure why it would only work for me this way when others noted to place the car in ignition/electronics only.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #64
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I had connectivity issues the first time I used mine as well. Turns out that my connection was only held when my car was idling, i.e. not just the 1 press ignition mode. Not sure why it would only work for me this way when others noted to place the car in ignition/electronics only.
Think I should try with the engine running?

Support said maybe I should get Bluetooth adapter. I went with the wifi because that seemed to be the preferred one here. Thought there would be less connectivity issues with wifi. guess not
      03-25-2018, 11:54 AM   #65
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Think I should try with the engine running?

Support said maybe I should get Bluetooth adapter. I went with the wifi because that seemed to be the preferred one here. Thought there would be less connectivity issues with wifi. guess not
No harm if you're only doing cosmetic changes.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #66
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep

Did anyone here go with a Bluetooth adapter?

Wonder if I should order that one instead of another wifi. I have a feeling the issue I'm having is software and unrelated to the adapter, so I'm a bit hesitant to order another wifi...