Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - California

02-09-2019, 04:10 PM   #1
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Disposition of personalized plates with sale of car

In December my wife and I sold her 2011 335is Coupe. We did Euro Delivery on this car and when the car made it back here and got registered in CA, we got personalized plates that matched the Euro Plate.

The buyer had to finance the purchase and the credit union that financed the purchase said that they had to handle the title transfer and registration. We wanted to keep the personalized plates and I had already filled out the DMV form to let the DMV know that I was selling the car but wanted to retain the plates. The CU said that the car had to be sold with a plate on the car and that the seller should request new plates from the DMV and then he can give us back our old plate. They filled out the same form but checked the box saying that I was giving up the plate and had me sign that. We kept the unused front plate.

I just got a text from the buyer indicating that he got his new plates in the mail from the DMV and that he can come buy and drop off the old plate if I've got $60. What?

I haven't talked to the buyer yet, but I'm at a loss as to why he would want me to pay $60 for my old plate. I don't know if he expected me to pay the cost for his new plates because otherwise he wouldn't have to buy new plates if I just let him use the old plate. The form that was filed with the DMV by the CU already indicates that I've given up interest in the plate. I have no intention of paying $60 for the old plate since we already have the front plate.

For those of you who have sold CA cars with personalized plates, how did you handle this?

EDIT: This is the form (REG 17) that is used to apply for special interest plates. Section 4 is also used to determine disposition of the plates when the car is sold. I had originally filled this out and signed it and checked the box that said "Retain Interest". The CU filled out the form again and had me check the box that says "Release Interest to New Owner".
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...8e4ec3-m73RxxI

Last edited by SD ///M4; 02-09-2019 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #2
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

If they are personalized plates, you get to keep them. They don't go with the new owner.

What do I do with the license plates when I sell my car?
Most vehicles have sequentially issued "standard" license plates that remain with the vehicle when ownership is transferred. If the vehicle has a special interest or personalized license plate, these plates belong to the plate owner, not the vehicle. Aas the seller you must decide if you want to retain the license plate for use on another vehicle, or release your interest in the license plate. You may remove the plates for reassignment to another vehicle or retain for future use and apply for a no-fee Regular Series License Plate. This should be done prior to obtaining the smog certification (if required). Depending on the type of license plate, complete a Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) form or a Special License Plate Application (REG 17A) form to indicate retention or release of the special license plate and give the form to the buyer. If you are releasing the plate ownership to the buyer, the buyer would also complete a separate REG 17 form.
      02-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
If they are personalized plates, you get to keep them. They don't go with the new owner.

What do I do with the license plates when I sell my car?
Most vehicles have sequentially issued "standard" license plates that remain with the vehicle when ownership is transferred. If the vehicle has a special interest or personalized license plate, these plates belong to the plate owner, not the vehicle. As the seller you must decide if you want to retain the license plate for use on another vehicle, or release your interest in the license plate. You may remove the plates for reassignment to another vehicle or retain for future use and apply for a no-fee Regular Series License Plate. This should be done prior to obtaining the smog certification (if required). Depending on the type of license plate, complete a Special Interest License Plate Application (REG 17) form or a Special License Plate Application (REG 17A) form to indicate retention or release of the special license plate and give the form to the buyer. If you are releasing the plate ownership to the buyer, the buyer would also complete a separate REG 17 form.
Thanks, I've read that paragraph, and everything else on the DMV website regarding special interest plates.

I linked to the above mentioned form REG 17 in my original post, and you don't automatically get to keep the special interest plates. You have to choose one of 3 different dispositions for the personalized plates, all listed in Section 4 of the form:
  1. Retain for future use (and pay the DMV a "retention" fee)
  2. Release interest/surrender to DMV
  3. Release interest to new owner
I originally filled out the form myself and checked the first box, because I wanted to keep the plates. The CU said, no, the plate has to remain on the car and they filled out a new form and had me check the last box, "Release interest to new owner." They submitted this form to the DMV. So I now have no legal connection to the plate and no further financial obligation to the DMV regarding the plates (although I did keep the unused front plate for posterity. That plate got "lost".).

What I'm curious about is why the buyer thinks I need to pay him $60 for the plate and what others have done when they've sold a car with special interest plates.

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 09:24 PM   #4
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

I agree with what the CU told you. The buyer needs to send your plates back to you once they get replacement plates but the $60 is random; why don't you just ask him why he's charging that amount?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinstylez View Post
I agree with what the CU told you. The buyer needs to send your plates back to you once they get replacement plates but the $60 is random; why don't you just ask him why he's charging that amount?
I plan to call him tomorrow but before I do I wanted some feedback from other people who may have been in this situation. At this point I'm planning on telling him that since his credit union made me relinquish the plates and wouldn't let me keep them that I have no further interest in the plate and I'm certainly not going to pay him $60 for the plate.

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 01:40 AM   #6
azndrgnkid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB F80, 06 Porsche Cayman

Not sure about the $60 either, but I can confirm the requirement to keep the special interest plate with the buyer is specific to credit unions. A friend of mine went through the exact same situation about two years ago and the credit union basically would not fund the loan if my friend removed the plate as the seller. The buyer eventually returned the plate awhile later, and I don't believe any money was passed.

$60 does sound about right for the cost of a new replacement plate though, if I recall correctly.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 02:18 AM   #7
joegie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP 6MT

he probably wants you to pay the transfer fee that he got charged for the plate, but it'll cost you another $60 to get the plate transferred back to you.

i did the same with sdccu last year, the buyer had to pay to have the plate transferred to his name before they would finance the car. i'm still trying to meet up with the dude to get the plate back and transfer it to my wife's car. on a side note i also sold another car last year with personal plates on it through point loma credit union, they actually sent the new owner new plates and he just gave me back my personalized plates when he got his.
      02-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by azndrgnkid View Post
Not sure about the $60 either, but I can confirm the requirement to keep the special interest plate with the buyer is specific to credit unions. A friend of mine went through the exact same situation about two years ago and the credit union basically would not fund the loan if my friend removed the plate as the seller. The buyer eventually returned the plate awhile later, and I don't believe any money was passed.

$60 does sound about right for the cost of a new replacement plate though, if I recall correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joegie View Post
he probably wants you to pay the transfer fee that he got charged for the plate, but it'll cost you another $60 to get the plate transferred back to you.

i did the same with sdccu last year, the buyer had to pay to have the plate transferred to his name before they would finance the car. i'm still trying to meet up with the dude to get the plate back and transfer it to my wife's car. on a side note i also sold another car last year with personal plates on it through point loma credit union, they actually sent the new owner new plates and he just gave me back my personalized plates when he got his.
This was with SDCCU. Interesting that CUs require this. It was kind of a pain in the ass because he applied to both SDCCU and Mission Fed and got approved with both, with his mom co-signing, but Mission Fed had a lower rate. I had to go to Mission Fed with him, and then Mission Fed declined him. So we all traipsed over to SDCCU 25 minutes before they closed and then we were there for 1.5 hours. First time I've sold a car and had to go to the buyer's financial institution with them. Next time I sell a car it's going to be cashier's check.

At any rate, at this point he can keep the plate. I told him I wanted to keep the plates and that he would have to get new plates. I'm not paying for his plates.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
WIKDF80
Totaled
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP

Tell him you're happy to pay the $60 but you have to charge him a $59.99 fee for pickup.