BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

11-29-2018, 02:09 AM   #1
Hender214
Rep
Drives: M4 comp

What 3m tape do I need

I've got some carbon on the way and I've been trying to find out what 3m vhb tape I need, I'm thinking 10mm wide but no idea over thickness. I've ordered some of eBay. But not sure if this is the right stuff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-30mm-3M...8IZPGcD9zZs0sw
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:04 AM   #2
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 YMB Coupe

Hi mate, I used 3m 12mm Acrylic Plus tape on mine (rear spoiler as I messed up the fitment first time with the original bmw fitted tape) and its been solid as. Cant see 10mm being much different at all although the tape I got was black and not transparent? Have a look for the 3m Acrylic Plus, see if you can find a deal as the original bmw tape was also black I think and certainly much closer to the Acrylic Plus.
I think this was the same seller and tape I used;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acrylic-P...m8ii:rk:6:pf:0

*Are you anywhere near Nottingham as I've probably got enough left to do the spoiler for you?

Last edited by chedixon; 11-29-2018 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:46 AM   #3
Hender214
Rep
Drives: M4 comp

Cheers mate I've ordered some of that as well can't have to much tape haha. I'm in Sunderland but thank you mate.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No worries mate, Theres a knack to fitting the spoiler (taking the tape off whilst in position from the centre to each corner). I've got a BMW PDF of the mperformance parts fitting guide if you get stuck or would benefit from it, just PM me an email if you do and I'll sent it on

Che
      05-14-2019, 07:10 AM   #5
psid
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition (F82)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedixon View Post
No worries mate, Theres a knack to fitting the spoiler (taking the tape off whilst in position from the centre to each corner). I've got a BMW PDF of the mperformance parts fitting guide if you get stuck or would benefit from it, just PM me an email if you do and I'll sent it on

Che
Hi Che, would you mind sharing the fitting guide with me? Just bought an M4 Comp and looking at getting some carbon bits in. I'll PM you.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
Paul SR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Touring

Is there a certain thickness of the tape (not width) that needs to be ordered as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #7
psid
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul SR View Post
Is there a certain thickness of the tape (not width) that needs to be ordered as well?
I wondered about this too. The 3M Acrylic Plus tape seems to be 1.5mm thick.

I have some Gorilla Heavy Duty Mounting Tape which is seriously strong, but I think it's about 1mm thick.

Am going to give it a go fitting a spoiler this weekend. Can't see there being any issues but will report back if so.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #8
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavsid View Post
I wondered about this too. The 3M Acrylic Plus tape seems to be 1.5mm thick.

I have some Gorilla Heavy Duty Mounting Tape which is seriously strong, but I think it's about 1mm thick.

Am going to give it a go fitting a spoiler this weekend. Can't see there being any issues but will report back if so.
Hopefully the fitting guide will be of help mate but I'm happy to help if you are anywhere near ng14. I've probably got some tape still too if you get any probs, hopefully your spoiler should come with it in situe though already.
The Acrylic Plus was good as it has a small amount of cushion to it so irons out any small fitment issues.

Che
psid0.00
      05-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
psid
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedixon View Post
Hopefully the fitting guide will be of help mate but I'm happy to help if you are anywhere near ng14. I've probably got some tape still too if you get any probs, hopefully your spoiler should come with it in situe though already.
The Acrylic Plus was good as it has a small amount of cushion to it so irons out any small fitment issues.

Che
Much appreciated mate. I'm NG4, so that side of town. Hopefully it'll be ok, if not, i'll be grovelling for some help
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 07:48 AM   #10
chedixon
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavsid View Post
Much appreciated mate. I'm NG4, so that side of town. Hopefully it'll be ok, if not, i'll be grovelling for some help
Anytime mate, happy to help. I lived NG4 for 18 years, just moved a few months ago! Very small world lol!
      05-20-2019, 03:37 AM   #11
psid
United Kingdom
Rep

Done, using Gorilla Tape..

Fitted the spoiler at the weekend. Initially used the 3M tape supplied with it, but there wasn't enough so had to pull it all off and start over. Glad I did actually, as the Gorilla tape seems a lot stronger.

Used the technique described in the fitting guide provided by chedixon - thanks buddy As there was no existing spoiler to get the position, I placed the new spoiler where I wanted it, then used masking tape to mark the edges so I knew where to place it when fitting for real.

Pretty chuffed with the result. Hopefully it'll last....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0