proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-21-2024, 04:59 PM   #1
6Spd_M
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Toyo RR's

Has anyone ran Toyo RR's and can provide any feedback on them?

I'm back and forth between Toyo RR's and Hoosier R7's. Haven't ran either of them in the past. But from friends feedback the R7's wear quite fast, and the RR's have a little less grip.

So what I really want to know is: If anyone has ran RR's, is the slightly less grip worth the $400 difference in a full set of tires? And about how quick did they wear out?

Maybe I'll just get them and run them till they're toast, then get a set of R7's and do my own comparison. Just wanted to get some honest feedback from the folks here first.

Thanks in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 05:16 PM   #2
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Spd_M View Post
Has anyone ran Toyo RR's and can provide any feedback on them?

I'm back and forth between Toyo RR's and Hoosier R7's. Haven't ran either of them in the past. But from friends feedback the R7's wear quite fast, and the RR's have a little less grip.

So what I really want to know is: If anyone has ran RR's, is the slightly less grip worth the $400 difference in a full set of tires? And about how quick did they wear out?

Maybe I'll just get them and run them till they're toast, then get a set of R7's and do my own comparison. Just wanted to get some honest feedback from the folks here first.

Thanks in advance!!!
I ran one set of the RR's. I wasn't very impressed honestly, particularly relative to the NT01. I didn't take detailed notes and my memory is fading, but I think maybe I got 5ish days out of them. From a grip-longevity standpoint, I definitely don't think they outshone the NT01. Certainly the cost of the 295/30/18 RR was very appealing (at least it was) though. I've never run Hoosiers so I can't comment there.

And fair to say I don't think RR would hold a candle to the newest 200TW hotness (such as the 71RS), other than maybe lasting a little longer.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 08:28 PM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

It's much more than a 400 difference!

The RR is slower than the peak 200TW tires, however, it lasts a while and has excellent heat tolerance, significantly more than the 200TW that are faster than it.

The R7 has similar, excellent heat tolerance and is a bit faster than the peak 200TW.

When we go to 'eat your vegetables' tracks we will tend to buy a set of RRs. The peak 200TW tires can be destroyed fast by overdriving them or even just running them fast for the entire session, whereas the RR allows you to be a little more cretinous with your inputs and the tire just takes it.

R7s cord on day 4/5 and lose all grip right before they cord. The RR lasts a similar amount, but is slower and costs way less.

Last set of RRs were just over 1000 delivered, last set of R7s were over 1800.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 07:53 AM   #4
BoilerUP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Cadillac ATS-V

Perhaps worth noting that Toyo is (finally) releasing a new compound tire called the Proxes R, with the first few sizes set to hit next month.

https://www.toyotires.com/product/proxes-r/
Appreciate 2
      03-22-2024, 09:49 AM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
Perhaps worth noting that Toyo is (finally) releasing a new compound tire called the Proxes R, with the first few sizes set to hit next month.

https://www.toyotires.com/product/proxes-r/
That's awesome!

It would be nice of Hoosier and Nitto also took notice and released the R8/A8 and the NT02
Appreciate 0