GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
ERinEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3

Who here tracks their M3/M4?

Been driving my E92 for over six years now, averaging a few weekends a year on the track. I’m thinking of moving into an F80 or F82 but curious to hear from those who track theirs. The replacement for my E92 would serve as my daily too.

What have been your experiences with the car on the track? Any overheating issues or limitations? Have you modded your car for track duty and if so, what have you done to it?

Last edited by ERinEC; 01-19-2019 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I got my first ///M, an E46 in 2001 exactly for that purpose, to serve the dual duty of DD and track toy. I’ve had my 2001 E46 for 7 years, my 2008 E92 for 6 years and my 2015 M4 for 4 years. I just recently switched to my current M4cs. All my Ms were tracked at the rate of 16~20 days per season. I can attest with confidence that the F82 is the most track ready and most enjoyable of the 3. The cooling system is amazing, never did my M4 overheat. While the E92 was quite solid, it was sometimes limit on very hot days, particularly the DCT that would become sluggish because of the heat. The F8X chassis is leaps and bounds better than the E9X. While the S55 has less soul the the S65, it’s pulling power is fantastic, particularly in the mid range to pull you out of corners. Now, the M4cs bumps everything up by a notch compared to my previous M4. Don’t hesitate, you won’t regret it.

As for mods, the F8X needs the same basics as the E46 and E92 did, which is proper track pads, camber plates and dedicated track wheels and tires.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 9
jmg18493.00
DASm337.00
Tangent296.00
Remonster821.00
David0ff1055.00
gum201250.50
      01-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
JAhmed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Taycan

amah87
      01-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
pfl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Some slow cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I got my first ///M, an E46 in 2001 exactly for that purpose, to serve the dual duty of DD and track toy. I've had my 2001 E46 for 7 years, my 2008 E92 for 6 years and my 2015 M4 for 4 years. I just recently switched to my current M4cs. All my Ms were tracked at the rate of 16~20 days per season. I can attest with confidence that the F82 is the most track ready and most enjoyable of the 3. The cooling system is amazing, never did my M4 overheat. While the E92 was quite solid, it was sometimes limit on very hot days, particularly the DCT that would become sluggish because of the heat. The F8X chassis is leaps and bounds better than the E9X. While the S55 has less soul the the S65, it's pulling power is fantastic, particularly in the mid range to pull you out of corners. Now, the M4cs bumps everything up by a notch compared to my previous M4. Don't hesitate, you won't regret it.

As for mods, the F8X needs the same basics as the E46 and E92 did, which is proper track pads, camber plates and dedicated track wheels and tires.
Agree with above 100%.

I've tracked 2009 E92 M3 and 2016 F80 M3 and F80 by far has the best cooking system for a stock car. My GT-R on same day gave up while my friend and I double drove the M3 on track, session after season, in 101 degree weather, without a single issue. I had as mentioned above, tires, brake fluid, pads and that's it.

I now have the M3CS and all the good of 2016 M3 has carried over plus some.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #5
M4_CaptFlashheart
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 2018

do not use the standard brake pads as they are very poor on track. Either get some Pagid RS 29 with upgraded fluid and stainless hoses, or make sure you're running the CCB's. I hated the car first time on track with standard pads. Second time with the Pagids, different altogether. Only problem with the Pagids are they are real noisy on street use. Apart from that, I had no other issues except wanting better tyres. Maybe a decent semi-slick like an R888R or the MPSC2
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Speaking of cooling, June of last year I ran 3 days at COTA in Austin.
Air temperature was upper 90's, even saw 100F in the car at one time.
I had no problems with stock cooling on my 2015 M4.
The shop that does work on my car always suggests that I should upgrade the cooler.

My car is a 6MT if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #7
helothere
Car ADD
Rep
Drives: few cars serving own purpose

better pads, fluids, and decent tires
also camber

all you need to track f8x chassis

straight out of the box it is a capable car to begin with
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #8
Bad Dad Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Dinan S3

Thumbs up 2018 F80 Comp Dinan S3 Track

Learning the hard way about breaks and tires. My local track is predominantly right turn with lots of elevation changes. Therefore the F80 M3, at approximately 3500#s, is heavy and extremely hard on the front left tire! I expect another two sessions on the remaining three tires and run at 26# and 191 degrees. Of course I'm pushing HARD around the entire track. Trail breaking into corners when able. Results...destroyed front left Michelin Pilot Super Sport in three sessions also warped two sets of front M3 Comp rotors. Now I'm looking to 405 rotors and 6 piston calipers with a cooling kit hoping to offset expense of rotors. Driver error is a player too! BMW warranted the first set but won't another. So for the price, why not go bigger and disperse more heat? Tires? Pilot SS's get sloppy after three hard laps so looking for a change up on the set once they're gone. Running at lower pressure was a big improvement. For now staying with the factory 20" wheels but see 19's in the future. Keep tire cost down!

Hardest lesson learned? Make sure to run a cool down lap (or two) and then idle coast around the pit area not using breaks at all (if possible) allowing rotors additional cooling before parking. Once parked, after 5 minutes roll the car a half tire turn. No one told me this nor have I see any reference to it! So I'm sharing...

As for tracking a 2018 F83? Love it! The GT3 guys sh*! their Sparco suits when I pass them on the straights. At altitude (Denver) pushing 500WHP. Maybe I just have bigger nads then they?

Performance upgrades:
Dinan S3 Tune, which requires cooling and intakes
Dinan coil overs and sway bars
Front aero and rear Vorsteiner tail
AIM Solo2 DL data logger and Smarty Cam HD
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2019, 09:28 PM   #9
Harpinc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS3

Brakes
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      03-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW '18 F80 Comp Dinan S3 View Post
...destroyed front left Michelin Pilot Super Sport in three sessions also warped two sets of front M3 Comp rotors. ... For now staying with the factory 20" wheels but see 19's in the future. Keep tire cost down!

As for tracking a 2018 F83? Love it! The GT3 guys sh*! their Sparco suits when I pass them on the straights. At altitude (Denver) pushing 500WHP.

Hardest lesson learned?

As for tracking a 2018 F83?

Performance upgrades:
So you got a convertible, then spent a bunch of money to make more power (to offset the extra weight), upgraded the suspension, spent even more money on a AIM and a camera but still tracked your car on Michelin PSS tires and the stock brakes? And now you're getting 19" wheels and tires but you want to "Keep tire cost down"? I'm not sure you learned the correct lessons...

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:

As for tracking a 2018 F83? Love it! The GT3 guys sh*! their Sparco suits when I pass them on the straights. At altitude (Denver) pushing 500WHP. Maybe I just have bigger nads then they?
Do you have a full cage, 6pt harnesses and seats that work with them, in your vert?

If not, you have HUGE nads. I personally won’t get into a vert on track without that gear (and lately, I won’t get into any car without that stuff, because I have become used to the habit of wearing a hans at the track)

Edit: I loved tracking my f80. No power reduction despite 100F ambient temps. Amazing cooling system. Great power as well. Second the others who are suggesting pads, tires and camber and good to go
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #12
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Learning the hard way about breaks and tires. My local track is predominantly right turn with lots of elevation changes. Therefore the F80 M3, at approximately 3500#s, is heavy and extremely hard on the front left tire! I expect another two sessions on the remaining three tires and run at 26# and 191 degrees. Of course I'm pushing HARD around the entire track. Trail breaking into corners when able. Results...destroyed front left Michelin Pilot Super Sport in three sessions also warped two sets of front M3 Comp rotors. Now I'm looking to 405 rotors and 6 piston calipers with a cooling kit hoping to offset expense of rotors. Driver error is a player too! BMW warranted the first set but won't another. So for the price, why not go bigger and disperse more heat? Tires? Pilot SS's get sloppy after three hard laps so looking for a change up on the set once they're gone. Running at lower pressure was a big improvement. For now staying with the factory 20" wheels but see 19's in the future. Keep tire cost down!

Hardest lesson learned? Make sure to run a cool down lap (or two) and then idle coast around the pit area not using breaks at all (if possible) allowing rotors additional cooling before parking. Once parked, after 5 minutes roll the car a half tire turn. No one told me this nor have I see any reference to it! So I'm sharing...

Performance upgrades:
What did you break ?

Also, your rotors are not warped. You just have uneven pad deposit on them. You most lkely don't need to replace them, a few weeks of normal street driving will wear it off. Get proper track pads next time.

And if you would have just a little bit, there's plenty of info on the forum about brake management and setup for the track.

If you want to "keep cost down", 18" tires is the way to go. Not 19".

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #13
Bad Dad Racing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 Dinan S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
So you got a convertible, then spent a bunch of money to make more power (to offset the extra weight), upgraded the suspension, spent even more money on a AIM and a camera but still tracked your car on Michelin PSS tires and the stock brakes? And now you're getting 19" wheels and tires but you want to "Keep tire cost down"? I'm not sure you learned the correct lessons...
LOL, your critical response would be more appreciated if you read my post and was accurate. My post was in response to a person asking for driver's experiences, not inaccurate criticism. Nowhere did I mention a convertible because I don't have one. 19" square to allow tire rotation. I've "learned" from reading constructive posts and tracking my car, that when tracking a car, and not a street poser, you're going to go through tires and brakes. Yes, I'm new to all this. Moving to a square set up allows for rotation and extending life. IE: "save money." The OEM set up of 19's, and 20's don't allow for that or maybe you didn't think of that? Hmmm... And, why not burn up the OEM tires? Or, should I have pulled those, stacked in a corner, and bought track tires? LOL My F80 is a toy, not a DD.

Best of luck with your streetcars and armchair quarterbacking. I see your photo, it looks like a nice stable of streetcars. Be sure to keep them polished and parked out front for all your neighbors to see and be impressed by. Different strokes for different folks. No harm no foul.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #14
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad Racing View Post
LOL, your critical response would be more appreciated if you read my post and was accurate. My post was in response to a person asking for driver's experiences, not inaccurate criticism. Nowhere did I mention a convertible because I don't have one. 19" square to allow tire rotation. I've "learned" from reading constructive posts and tracking my car, that when tracking a car, and not a street poser, you're going to go through tires and brakes. Yes, I'm new to all this. Moving to a square set up allows for rotation and extending life. IE: "save money." The OEM set up of 19's, and 20's don't allow for that or maybe you didn't think of that? Hmmm... And, why not burn up the OEM tires? Or, should I have pulled those, stacked in a corner, and bought track tires? LOL My F80 is a toy, not a DD.

Best of luck with your streetcars and armchair quarterbacking. I see your photo, it looks like a nice stable of streetcars. Be sure to keep them polished and parked out front for all your neighbors to see and be impressed by. Different strokes for different folks. No harm no foul.
They were poking fun at your story a little bit I think. You put down an F83, which is the convertible F8x, I think that was a simple typo.

18" square is going to be the best setup if tire cost is your concern. 18x10 works well, I'm crossing my fingers 18x11 fits on all 4 corners with just some fender-liner shaping. We've got a thread where we beat to death the question of a dedicated set of wheels.

A lot of the people posting above you seem quite competent and learned regarding lapping cars, not much in the way of posers here.

Pick up some track pads and maybe some brake ducting. Sounds like you're sitting a little above my GTS on power, braking in to T4 is going to be brutal on OEM pads. I was sitting around 150-155mph -> 80mph and braking at the 300y marker I believe, standing on the pedal.

Yes, T4 and T11 are brutal right-handers, and HPR is known for eating the LF tire, but camber plates and a proper alignment really help. Also, don't just plow up T11, try a few different lines to straighten it out. On the F82 I was apexing very late, trail braking deep into the corner and once I could kind of point the car at T12, I hammered the throttle. Slide all the way out to the curbing on the left side run-off area, kind of throw away T12, just carry as much speed as possible for that short straight between T12 and T13.

Anywho, hope to see you out at HPR. AFAIK I'm the only GTS in the area that goes to HPR, if you see one swing by and say hey. I'll likely always have my white X5 + a white 20' trailer there with some snacks, chairs, and stuff if you want to get out of the sun and compare notes. I'm no pro at the F8x platform, but I know HPR very well and it could be fun to compare experiences.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      02-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #15
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad Racing View Post

Wow, snappy comeback to something I posted almost a year ago.

I'm hardly a street poser, with a bunch of "streetcars" (sic). Both my wife's M3 and my M4 are tracked regularly. They both have a dedicated set of track tires/wheels and track brake pads. I've been tracking multiple cars since roughly 1997 and have over 50 track days at all SoCal tracks, and Laguna Seca. I've also tracked my car at Nurburgring Nordschleife, Circuit Park Zandvoort, and Spa Francorchamps.

Maybe you should learn something first before blowing off your mouth. You seem to be all flash with a bunch of cash...

P.S. Re-reading your first post, those things that stop your car are "brakes", not "breaks"...

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 02:59 PM   #16
Corsa Motorsport
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I track my M4 quite heavily. Here's the post to the (warning) extensive build thread

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1693988
Appreciate 0