Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

03-25-2018, 01:54 AM   #1
DanMpower
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M & Ms

Curbed 666M wheel repaired, is this the best that it will be?

So I curbed my 666M wheel the other day while not paying attention and arguing with the wife. (Bad combo)

After a bit of research, everyone recommended Son Tran from Onsite Wheel Repair, I made the drive about 2 hours to his place and dropped off the wheel today.

From the reviews I read, I was under the impression that after the fix, you will not be able to tell.

Well, I might be extremely picky but I can spot the repair right away, and even a few feet away. It almost looks like they just took a grinder to the damaged portion and called it a day so now there is this nice shiny section. It doesn't look too bad, but it just still stands out to me. I know it's a machined wheel but has anybody had a machined wheel repaired from curb rash? Is this the best that it will ever look? Am I being too picky?

Before.

After.

Last edited by DanMpower; 03-25-2018 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 05:52 AM   #2
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanIAM3 View Post
So I curbed my 666M wheel the other day while not paying attention and arguing with the wife. (Bad combo)

After a bit of research, everyone recommended Son Tran from Onsite Wheel Repair, I made the drive about 2 hours to his place and dropped off the wheel today.

From the reviews I read, I was under the impression that after the fix, you will not be able to tell.

Well, I might be extremely picky but I can spot the repair right away, and even a few feet away. It almost looks like they just took a grinder to the damaged portion and called it a day so now there is this nice shiny section. It doesn't look too bad, but it just still stands out to me. I know it's a machined wheel but has anybody had a machined wheel repaired from curb rash? Is this the best that it will ever look? Am I being too picky?

Before.

After.
I rather suspect the whole wheel would have to be diamond cut again to remove any sign of the damage.

I understand the lacquer is smoked too which is why you have the shiny section.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
Rotherd31
User Name
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Rosso Corsa/cognac

Not sure if this is what you're needing or not, but it's the clear that is reportedly used on the silver 437 wheels.

http://www.wheelpaints.co.uk/CAR-MAN...12-00-85.html?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #4
clutchdj
Major
Rep
Drives: a few cars

I would take some 3k grit wet sandpaper to it. Test a small area first. 3k grits soft enough to hand polish back to your desired finish if youdonít have a buffer. Repairs to OEM polished wheels never really come out the same as stock/original finish unless itís a painted section.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
BIGW0RM
There's principalities in this.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 911 GTS

Garage List
Son fixed my gloss black Porsche wheel AND color matched my white rocker panel which had a rock gash in it. Mines flawless. You can't tell on the rim or rocker panel.

I was there for 2-3 hours. Cars came rolling in all day asking for help. I watched him turn away many customers because the wheel had some sort of finish he couldn't replicate.

I've only meet him once. I don't know him other than having him fix me porsche wheel and side rocker. But didn't he discuss your finish before you started?
      03-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
DanMpower
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Fisher View Post
I rather suspect the whole wheel would have to be diamond cut again to remove any sign of the damage.

Yeah I was afraid of that. I might have to buy a whole new wheel since I'm pretty OCD.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
DanMpower
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post
Son fixed my gloss black Porsche wheel AND color matched my white rocker panel which had a rock gash in it. Mines flawless. You can't tell on the rim or rocker panel.

I was there for 2-3 hours. Cars came rolling in all day asking for help. I watched him turn away many customers because the wheel had some sort of finish he couldn't replicate.

I've only meet him once. I don't know him other than having him fix me porsche wheel and side rocker. But didn't he discuss your finish before you started?
I just texted him back and forth before coming, I asked if it can be fixed to just like new condition and he said yes he can do it. No discussion about the finish.

I mean it's not bad, I don't think a normal person would be able to point it out. I might do what clutchdj suggested and put some sandpaper to the gloss section, I wonder if it had clear put on it after the repair..hmm..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
socal619
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Have you addressed to him that it's not up to par for you...? I think you have to give him 2nd attempt to fix it if wasn't fixed the way you wanted. I heard nothing but good reviews about him.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
BIGW0RM
There's principalities in this.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 911 GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGW0RM View Post

I just texted him back and forth before coming, I asked if it can be fixed to just like new condition and he said yes he can do it. No discussion about the finish.

I mean it's not bad, I don't think a normal person would be able to point it out. I might do what clutchdj suggested and put some sandpaper to the gloss section, I wonder if it had clear put on it after the repair..hmm..
Do not do that. Call Son. He will do whatever you want if he can.
      03-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #10
55Fisher
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Pack

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Fisher View Post

Yeah I was afraid of that. I might have to buy a whole new wheel since I'm pretty OCD.
That's exactly what I did. I couldn't leave it. Mine looked the same as yours did. I sold the old one and got fairly good money in the end. Shop around for the new wheel, try and get as much as possible for yours and then move on and forget about.

Leave the arguments till you get home!!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 07:28 AM   #11
FirstF80InSpace
///M You
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman S

That's not the proper way to fix it. They should've sanded out the rash, applied bondo to rebuild the lost material, sand, prime and paint.

Looks from the picture that all he did was sand out the rash to bare metal and then polish. Colour doesn't even match. I wouldn't be happy with that result.
Appreciate 1
M00111739.50

03-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #12
M0011
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace View Post
That's not the proper way to fix it. They should've sanded out the rash, applied bondo to rebuild the lost material, sand, prime and paint.

Looks from the picture that all he did was sand out the rash to bare metal and then polish. Colour doesn't even match. I wouldn't be happy with that result.
I agree. I had my 437 wheel repaired at the dealer for $150. Color didn't match. I complained and they gave me a full refund.
Mine is a lease and the car is going back next month so I can live with it.