EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-23-2018, 11:55 PM   #1
1M4
First Lieutenant
1M4's Avatar
126
Rep
368
Posts

Drives: 16 M4 Alp/Sakhir CF Roof 19"
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: My garage 🏠👈🏃😎

iTrader: (0)

Vibration in tires between 60-80 and dealer says thatís fine ?

When Iím going up a ramp fairly fast I notice a front wheel vibration at 60 or 65 and it gets smoothed out around 75 or 80 .That has always been a balance issue to me but dealer says itís nothing.Any suggestions?2 tires are new ,one front and one rear.Is that the cause,different amounts of tread?I was going to replace all 4 at the same time but all the tires still had plenty of tread and dealer said it wasnít necessary .The 2 that I replaced had nails in spots that could not be patched.All are the same Michelin Pilot super sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 04:59 AM   #2
SMV_M4
Lieutenant
SMV_M4's Avatar
United_States
292
Rep
442
Posts

Drives: 2016 F82 M4 AW/SO
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: West Des Moines, IA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M4 View Post
When I’m going up a ramp fairly fast I notice a front wheel vibration at 60 or 65 and it gets smoothed out around 75 or 80 .That has always been a balance issue to me but dealer says it’s nothing.Any suggestions?2 tires are new ,one front and one rear.Is that the cause,different amounts of tread?I was going to replace all 4 at the same time but all the tires still had plenty of tread and dealer said it wasn’t necessary .The 2 that I replaced had nails in spots that could not be patched.All are the same Michelin Pilot super sport.
If the wobble starts at a given speed but goes away rather than progressively worsen as you accelerate, it's most likely the balance issue created between asymmetrical tire wear and thus dimension and weight. I'd recommend replacing the 2 you didn't previously asap or you may be able to find a solution by playing with tire pressures or wheel weighting for balance. It is strange that it only occurs once a given speed is reached but goes away. It could have something to do with resonance at that speed as resonance can magnify vibration if the frequencies are the same. Same principle as breaking a glass by singing a loud note of the same frequency as the glass' harmonic note. The resonance intensifies the pressure wave of the sound and the glass can't handle the stress. Sorry for the tangent, just trying to offer some potential causes. The only times I've had wheel wobble were from improper balance, minute alignment issues, and wheels that has been bent by a 6" deep pothole. In all cases, the wobble becomes progressively worse with increasing speed and does not improve at any speed above.
__________________
2016 F82 M4 / AW/SO - Current
2013 E92 M3 ZCP / SG/FR - Sold
2008 E92 M3 / AW/FR - RIP
2008 335xi Coupe / JB/CR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
Racing Instructor
Private
7
Rep
63
Posts

Drives: M4 Tuned
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tampa FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M4 View Post
When Iím going up a ramp fairly fast I notice a front wheel vibration at 60 or 65 and it gets smoothed out around 75 or 80 .That has always been a balance issue to me but dealer says itís nothing.Any suggestions?2 tires are new ,one front and one rear.Is that the cause,different amounts of tread?I was going to replace all 4 at the same time but all the tires still had plenty of tread and dealer said it wasnít necessary .The 2 that I replaced had nails in spots that could not be patched.All are the same Michelin Pilot super sport.
I had that same issue with my F82. Turns out the dealer didn't match the high spot of the tire with the low spot of the rim and didn't road force balance the wheels. So they did it again and this time I asked for the road balance report and that took care of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
High Octane
Private First Class
High Octane's Avatar
129
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: '15 BMW M4
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Was always told that you should replace both fronts or both rears together, unless they are really close in tread life. I'm almost positive that is your problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 12:20 AM   #5
1M4
First Lieutenant
1M4's Avatar
126
Rep
368
Posts

Drives: 16 M4 Alp/Sakhir CF Roof 19"
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: My garage 🏠👈🏃😎

iTrader: (0)

Thatís been my understanding but serv adv said it wasnít necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Octane View Post
Was always told that you should replace both fronts or both rears together, unless they are really close in tread life. I'm almost positive that is your problem.
I will try the road force balance and if that doesnít work I will replace the ones that donít balance. Sometimes you just need to ignore the service dept and go with what you know. Especially when they indicate that there is no vibration,that should have indicated to me that they were clueless.Do I really need to drive them in the car to show them what a front end vibration is?My old service advisor moved on to another brand and left me with a bunch of newbies.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST