Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

04-29-2019, 05:59 PM   #67
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
Here is a before and after

04-30-2019, 03:51 PM   #68
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
Here is a before and after

Well done! Looks great
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #69
BMSe92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Garage List
2017 M4  [0.00]
So I decided to give it a run and you were right... major PITA! But, came out looking great. Much more involved than I thought it would be.

Anyone else trying it, one recommendation I can make is... you have to remove the front bumper to remove the headlights. The bottom torx bolts are held in with alignment nuts. The nut is supposed to be held with a retainer so that it doesn’t spin but it’s a crap design.

The bolts are red loc-tight’d from the factory so as soon as you put force on it, it bends the retainer and just spins. Before attempting to back the bolts out, get a soldering iron, hold it to the back of the bolt where it threads through the nut. This will heat up the loctite and you’ll be able to back it out with a ratchet.
2017 M4 /// YMB-Blk /// 20” Rohana RFX10 /// 15% Tint /// M-performance Grills /// CF M-Performance Splitters /// CF M-Performance Trunk Spoiler /// CF M-Performance Front Lip /// RW Carbon Side Skirt Exts /// RW Carbon Rear Diffuser ///Color Match Reflectors /// Keyhole Delete /// Euro Shadowline Tails /// AA MidPipe ///
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:57 AM   #70
F10toF80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Anyone try simply cutting off the original lens and just replacing it with a new lens upon reinstall? I’ve been toying with the idea of sending my headlights to oneighty, bayoptiks, modemporium but most will charge you an extra $300 for a new lens. Sounds like all they may be doing (to make the job much easier) is cutting off the original lens. Knowing this, it makes it a little more challenging for me to swallow a $1600USD charge when a new lens is only $300 then DIY’ing the blackout process
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #71
Rantlers
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E92 328i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Done a lot of mods since lockdown, however this was by far the most time intensive. Very happy with the results, though!
Attached Images

Last edited by Rantlers; 04-23-2020 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2020, 11:12 PM   #72
TrueLoyaltyInc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantlers View Post
Done a lot of mods since lockdown, however this was by far the most time intensive. Very happy with the results, though!
Looks clean I need this done so bad!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 03:20 AM   #73
Amina2511
My baby Austin yellow M3 F80
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5m package,bmw m3 F80

looks great!! Good job ! U need alot of patience for sure.i got my austin yelllow m3 last year and love the color especially in certain lighting looks amazing.i live in calgary and drove up to edm to buy it few days ago i got a light tint..looks not bad..ofcourse not as good as ures .

im planing to change my tail lights to lci ones.my project.looks easy to do and just gota do coding after so many projects for my car but no money i got a question for u about the side delete reflectors on front and rear bumper?did u order from ind company or u bought paint and did it ure self?it seemed abit pricey with exchange rate and shipping so i bought paint and etc and gona do the reflectors my self.i did autobody work before so im guessing i can handle it 👌

I decided to drive it only in summer and get a crappy car for winter.
How do u find driving it in snow or icy roads? What about salt and sand on roads?wont it ruin the paint at some point?altho i have 3m wrap im still worried
Here some pics of tinted headlights..150$ not bad
Attached Images

Last edited by Amina2511; 06-22-2020 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2020, 06:07 AM   #74
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amina2511 View Post
looks great!! Good job ! U need alot of patience for sure.i got my austin yelllow m3 last year and love the color especially in certain lighting looks amazing.i live in calgary and drove up to edm to buy it few days ago i got a light tint..looks not bad..ofcourse not as good as ures .

im planing to change my tail lights to lci ones.my project.looks easy to do and just gota do coding after so many projects for my car but no money i got a question for u about the side delete reflectors on front and rear bumper?did u order from ind company or u bought paint and did it ure self?it seemed abit pricey with exchange rate and shipping so i bought paint and etc and gona do the reflectors my self.i did autobody work before so im guessing i can handle it 👌

How do u find driving it in snow or icy roads? What about salt and sand on roads?wont it ruin the paint at some point?altho i have 3m wrap im still worried
Here some pics of tinted headlights..i havent had time to take good pics and also its been raining/cloudy since i got the tint
It drives amazing in the snow with a proper set of winter tires
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #75
Crazy Penguin
Banned
Rep
Drives: Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10toF80 View Post
Anyone try simply cutting off the original lens and just replacing it with a new lens upon reinstall? I’ve been toying with the idea of sending my headlights to oneighty, bayoptiks, modemporium but most will charge you an extra $300 for a new lens. Sounds like all they may be doing (to make the job much easier) is cutting off the original lens. Knowing this, it makes it a little more challenging for me to swallow a $1600USD charge when a new lens is only $300 then DIY’ing the blackout process
The lenses cost $289 a pair shipped
So wow. $11 to install lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 05:15 AM   #76
Amina2511
My baby Austin yellow M3 F80
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5m package,bmw m3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
Quote:

Here some pics of tinted headlights..i havent had time to take good pics and also its been raining/cloudy since i got the tint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy L Garage View Post
Quote:

[img] https://i.ibb.co/0JvY0mX/DC456222-8-...-EE9-D7-CD.jpg[/img]

I just realized I'm following u on YouTube and love all ure modification videos 👌
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #77
Gimlitehdwarf
I wish Tires were cheaper
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 2015 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Looks amazing!

2015 Black on Black M3 - Palm Desert, CA
I wish Tires were cheaper!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #78
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Some before and after shots of mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #79
Gimlitehdwarf
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
This looks amazing! My only problem is this is my daily so I cant have it down for 3 days...

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #80
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlitehdwarf View Post
This looks amazing! My only problem is this is my daily so I cant have it down for 3 days...
Mine was down for a week because of painting and such.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 07:06 PM   #81
Gimlitehdwarf
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18BMWX5M View Post
So I should buy an X5M first huh?

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:39 PM   #82
18BMWX5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlitehdwarf View Post
Quote:
So I should buy an X5M first huh?
Lol I mean that's exactly what I did 😂😂😂 X5M then the M4.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #83
DocJoon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M4 (F83)

Quote:
Looks amazing. Can you share what parts used to get those fancy looking angel lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 08:07 AM   #84
locolok
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantlers View Post
Hi!

How do the turning lights look once the reflector is painted?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 11:07 AM   #85
TheOppolite
Rep
Drives: Bmw f20 lci

Thats very nice
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:00 PM   #86
tauzins
Wing Chun Shifter Speed
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanz M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
This is a double post from the Canada forum but I figured the greater audience might appreciate it. I mean it's no "handbrake install DIY" :

I have been toying with the idea of shipping my headlights away to lightwerkz, Bavgruppe, or OneEighty for months. Never interested in changing the halos, just blacking out the internals.

The prices, down time, shipping risks, lack of communication etc.were all too much to swallow so I decided to tackle the "perma-seal" myself. I would have taken them to a local retrofitter but the shops in my area are useless.

This is not a new task for me, I have done several sets of Audi, Lexus, and Mercedes headlights however it will be the first set of F8X lights.

I will post progress here and plan on filming the breakdown of the second headlight and timelapsing the video

Removing headlights 1.5 hours

Time for the first headlight so far

Removing ballasts and clips 0.5 hours

Separating headlights 1.5 hours (including baking)

Breaking down internals 1 hour

Removing Chrome 1 hour

Removing perma-seal 2 hours (I had a helper)

Painting Internals 2 hours
- automotive grade black primer 3 coats
- VHT Black Pearl Engine Metallic 4 coats

Days curing 3 + 3 x 20 minute heat cycles.

Morimoto retro butyl 10 mins

I haven't baked and re-installed the lens yet but there were definite efficiencies from the first to second headlight.
when you took this apart, do you remember if there is any way to replace the LED boards for the angel eyes? like with another color?

Totaled:F30 335i | ER Chargepipe | ER Down-Pipe | Wagner Intercooler | BMS Intake | Meisterschaft Exhaust | MHD BEF JB4 Map 3 / 30% e85 / 50/50 Meth
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 07:43 PM   #87
J_Spool
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i E60 535i

Quote:
Mind me asking where you got the “X’s” did you install yourself?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 01:55 PM   #88
chuloM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everkidd View Post
Finished product.

I do 95% of my mods by myself, but this job was definitely a giant pain in the ass if you want it done right... That being said I'm extremely happy with the outcome
what did you use to take them apart and also what glue did you use to re-glue them together?
Appreciate 0