Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #67
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Man I must have some atrocious ears or something....
NT01 on my car for six months and the 763’s/PSS sitting collecting dust

WHAT???
Appreciate 1
TheBreeze254.50
      01-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #68
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
I just love this track sub-forum, where the discussions are friendly, spiced with a little of back and forth teasing, but mostly with great information sharing . There's a great mix of knowledge, humility and open mindedness that makes for great exchanges .

So many threads in the other sub-forums derail due to fanboys and trolling .

Sorry for the , but I just got off "the real ///M car" thread from the main page and it was refreshing to read through this track thread .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 8
jmg18493.00
mcvaughan702.00
fanatic11018.50
SD ///M42992.00
David0ff1055.00
The_Werm212.00
      01-24-2020, 03:50 PM   #69
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFragileHalogen View Post
lol NT-01 sings loud during heavy braking and screams at all turns. Spectators often actually come to my car on the paddock to see what kind of tires I am running. I actually enjoy that tire noise on track but definitely not on street. I do just drive them to track though rather than putting them in back seat. If it rains on the day I would just bring out my Miata.

Even RE-71Rs on my Miata are on dedicated track wheels and I only drive them on street on a way to track because like the you said you want to protect street tires, as well as I don't want to drive the RE-71Rs daily and wear/heat cycle them out.
You need to move your Miata to Re71r as the street / rain tire and Toyo RR as track tire

Speaking of RR, any insight as to why 275/35/18 toyo rr square is not a common setup discussed for f80?

They are consistent all the way to the cords in an SM (with of course a drop off after a few cycles)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #70
Gomeler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235iR, '16 M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
You need to move your Miata to Re71r as the street / rain tire and Toyo RR as track tire

Speaking of RR, any insight as to why 275/35/18 toyo rr square is not a common setup discussed for f80?

They are consistent all the way to the cords in an SM (with of course a drop off after a few cycles)
Good question, maybe the poor R888 performance salted the Toyo brand on this forum? I think the RR is the spec tire for a lot of NASA's classes, which probably explains why a few sizes are dirt cheap. That 295/30r18 is pretty appealing for an r-compound tire.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #71
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
Man I must have some atrocious ears or something....
I don't know man. Maybe your track had some fancy silky smooth asphalt. Or maybe in Oregon everything else is too dead quiet.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #72
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My RE-71r are pretty heavily worn on the shoulders but perhaps I need to work on more corner diving before moving onto even sticker tires. But it gets pretty scary to do it in Miata as it just feels so fast in that small thing; I am sure you know what I mean.

Do you also have one of those 'cute' tiny trailer that Miata guys carry their track tires? lol
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #73
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I just love this track sub-forum, where the discussions are friendly, spiced with a little of back and forth teasing, but mostly with great information sharing . There's a great mix of knowledge, humility and open mindedness that makes for great exchanges .

Sorry for the , but I just got off "the real ///M car" thread from the main page and it was refreshing to read through this track thread .
It's a good thing that we are not the 'typical' BMW ///M drivers.
Attached Images

Last edited by MyFragileHalogen; 01-24-2020 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
dim635csi203.00
jmg18493.00
      01-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #74
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:

I'm just trying to figure how anyone can think a 200 tire-wear rated RE71 can compete with the NT01. I'd take that Nitto every-day-and-every-way from Sunday.

It's simply the longest lasting, has the best breakaway characteristics, and cheapest non-full on race tire (Hoosier) of anything out there.

Oh, and it's decent in the rain when new...you just have to have fast hands and like to slide a lot.

That said, it's best when worn. Only tire I've ever driven that gets better as it wears. So no, the RE71 is no where close...

Maybe I'm missing something?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #75
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
My RE-71r are pretty heavily worn on the shoulders but perhaps I need to work on more corner diving before moving onto even sticker tires. But it gets pretty scary to do it in Miata as it just feels so fast in that small thing; I am sure you know what I mean.

Do you also have one of those 'cute' tiny trailer that Miata guys carry their track tires? lol
What’s your front camber situation? my SM is setup for -2.5 F and -2.6 R and the wear is very even across the tire. Your shoulder wear could be from the setup.

Are you tracking your Miata with just a half cage and stock seats and 3 point belt or do you have all the SM safety gear? I would feel really cautious about pushing the entry speed too without all the safety mods.

So, last season I paid the shop that maintains the car to haul my r tires in their stacker and drove to the event on Re71r , or used my teammate’s truck and trailer to haul the car and tires and tools.

Gomeler, you should try the 295/30/18 rr on your f80 and report back. That should be pretty awesome and save $ over hoosiers
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #76
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What’s your front camber situation? my SM is setup for -2.5 F and -2.6 R and the wear is very even across the tire. Your shoulder wear could be from the setup.

Are you tracking your Miata with just a half cage and stock seats and 3 point belt or do you have all the SM safety gear? I would feel really cautious about pushing the entry speed too without all the safety mods.

So, last season I paid the shop that maintains the car to haul my r tires in their stacker and drove to the event on Re71r , or used my teammate’s truck and trailer to haul the car and tires and tools.
-2.57 front/-2.06 rear. I know nothing about SM (as not being very social at local track scene) and -2.5/-2.6 sounds interesting. Front camber looks pretty moderate for a race car, and does the higher rear camber make the car more stable?

My Miata('00) is real cheap with Xida coilovers (700/400), racing beat front sway bar, and hard dog roll bar. On the first few sessions of first day with RE-71R front shoulders somewhat got literally shredded almost down to 50%. 32psi cold and I suspect probably they need heat cycling before first use.

In addition to being cheap I love it as a daily so I keep the stock seat. I pretty much tie myself using CG-LOCK and torso harness; but I have to admit I can read chassis movement a lot better and react faster and more precisely in my M4. Also few track people have expressed concern on my safety. At least I became more mindful after making a high speed spin from entry of one turn to next turn lol as well as seeing a totaled Miata, on semi-slicks, straight all the way through wet grass into a tire wall head-on.

But dang, having a shop to take care of your car sounds so nice (and luxurious)! They can dial your car so good. I didn't even take my Miata to a proper shop. My M4 was aligned at a good shop and I learned it made good difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 11:14 AM   #77
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
-hard dog roll bar.

stock seat. CG-LOCK and torso harness; b
Can you pass "broomstick test" with that setup?

A friend was at LS this past monday and a Toyota 86 pooched the corkscrew badly and ended up upside down in the tire wall. Sh1t happens; please stay safe. Maybe just track your M4. At least that has a roof and B pillar to give you some protection.

I put my SM backwards into the wall at Sonoma T10 in 2018 (what a way to do first ever enduro, eh?) but i got off without even a sore neck thanks to full safety gear
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #78
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
Quote:

I'm just trying to figure how anyone can think a 200 tire-wear rated RE71 can compete with the NT01. I'd take that Nitto every-day-and-every-way from Sunday.

It's simply the longest lasting, has the best breakaway characteristics, and cheapest non-full on race tire (Hoosier) of anything out there.

Oh, and it's decent in the rain when new...you just have to have fast hands and like to slide a lot.

That said, it's best when worn. Only tire I've ever driven that gets better as it wears. So no, the RE71 is no where close...

I agree with this. NT01 all day and night. On my M4 I had the Nittos and got plenty of life out of them vs the RE71. I've since moved on to an M2C, but now have AP brakes on the new car, so I will be looking into 18's with NT01. I do have a set of R888R on 19 inch Apex in the garage but have not run them as of yet — will see how those go since I have them.
      01-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #79
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

The RE-71R is a very impressive tire. In terms of ultimate grip, it can outperform the NT01. It is however not as consistent throughout its life and has slightly higher running costs due faster wear. Further, it is not available in attractive 18" sizes for our cars. The NT01 is a great "budget" track tire but it is far from being the fastest option. The NT01 is based on rather old tech, from what I've read, it is essentially the carcass of the old R888 dressed with the even older 1990s RA-1 tread compound but with much bigger tread blocks. It is essentially a RA-1 for heavier cars.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 03:33 PM   #80
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:

A friend was at LS this past monday and a Toyota 86 pooched the corkscrew badly and ended up upside down in the tire wall. Sh1t happens; please stay safe. Maybe just track your M4. At least that has a roof and B pillar to give you some protection.

I put my SM backwards into the wall at Sonoma T10 in 2018 (what a way to do first ever enduro, eh?) but i got off without even a sore neck thanks to full safety gear
You’re in good company with the wall at T10, virtually every time I’m out there, somebody makes contact at T10. Glad the safety gear did it’s job.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 01:00 AM   #81
marvinp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3, '09 135i

Whoa, I just got back from a family vacation to see all these awesome tips from so many. Thanks a ton folks!

I tried my best to summarize it in the following:

Beginner (no track experience)
Many think no mods are needed for the track if you're just getting started.

But some cautioned that for safety reasons, at a minimum you should do the following:
  • Track pads: Recommendations are the Ferodo DS2500, Ferodo DS1.1, Pagid RSL29 Yellow.
  • Brake fluid: A high temperature brake fluid, the Castrol SRF brake fluid seems to be a favorite here.

Beginner+/Intermediate (a few track sessions)
  • Track pads: See above.
  • Brake fluid: See above.
  • Negative camber
  • Dedicated track wheels: 18" APEX wheels are a popular suggestion.
  • Track tires: Contentious topic but favored tires seem to be RE-71R, NT-01, RS4

Last edited by marvinp; 01-27-2020 at 01:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #82
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:

I was just about to let it go and then I see this post..

Are you out of your mind? And why does treadwear labeling even matter these days? Didn't that argument already get beat to death in the AutoX world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
I agree with this. NT01 all day and night. On my M4 I had the Nittos and got plenty of life out of them vs the RE71. I've since moved on to an M2C, but now have AP brakes on the new car, so I will be looking into 18's with NT01. I do have a set of R888R on 19 inch Apex in the garage but have not run them as of yet — will see how those go since I have them.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      01-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #83
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I will have to check out that turn of Sonoma in forza.

Yeah I am not tall enough to fail the broomstick test (edit: top of helmet far below the anti-roll bar). Except track education days run by a race oriented group requiring 5/6 point harness in addition to a roll bar, my setup is fine with other HPDE days. Since I am not racing things are a lot more predictable unless something suddenly breaks. Or is it just a pattern that all people who crashed badly at HPDE saying (lying?) that something broke in their cars?

Last edited by MyFragileHalogen; 01-27-2020 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:57 PM   #84
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:

i was there sunday and monday as well, the FRS/BRZ guy was in beginner group! they had lead follow in the morning with instructors, so he should have been familiar w/ the track layout by that time.

i asked someone who was ostensibly following him ("hey, he looked like he knew where he was going") and apparently, the FRS/BRZ didn't brake at all at the top of the corkscrew, caught some air, came down nose heavy and went onto it's roof.
      01-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #85
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
i was there sunday and monday as well, the FRS/BRZ guy was in beginner group! they had lead follow in the morning with instructors, so he should have been familiar w/ the track layout by that time.

i asked someone who was ostensibly following him ("hey, he looked like he knew where he was going") and apparently, the FRS/BRZ didn't brake at all at the top of the corkscrew, caught some air, came down nose heavy and went onto it's roof.
Was everyone ok?

That’s pretty bad for that to happen in beginner group (which usually has in car instructor these days).

I won’t bother naming the group but it’s a thing to consider when going to spend your track dollars
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 04:59 PM   #86
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Was everyone ok?

That’s pretty bad for that to happen in beginner group (which usually has in car instructor these days).

I won’t bother naming the group but it’s a thing to consider when going to spend your track dollars
yeah, the guy looked unhappy but was uninjured.

i generally do HoD events, and have witnessed very few incidents
      01-28-2020, 06:08 PM   #87
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
i generally do HoD events, and have witnessed very few incidents
Interesting that such thing happened at HOD. One E90 M3 guy I know occasionally drives down for Laguna Seca and he said he likes HOD down there better than HOD in PNW.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:20 PM   #88
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Interesting that such thing happened at HOD. One E90 M3 guy I know occasionally drives down for Laguna Seca and he said he likes HOD down there better than HOD in PNW.
To clarify, this incident did NOT take place at an HOD event, but another track day organizer.

I have attended quite a few HOD events in CA, and they are very quick to address potential issues.