European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-20-2021, 10:05 AM   #1
jturboawd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e36, e46, 135i, m4, x4m

Im out! honest review on tuner and turbos

Peers,

Its been a fun 10 years. Ive built 3 NXX cars, and drove my m4 for a year after build. Im done going fast for now, moving to a totally different dad ride and i will certainly miss the platform dearly (look for a bunch of specialty tools soon).

Turbos: I went GC+ after a lot of reviews. The castings are a little off from OEM so have to measure a few things you would not on PS2 during install. I know there are a lot of mixed results on these but i dialed mine in and ran clean for 5K or so i had them. No issues, no smoke, quick spool, etc. Might be a numbers game, they sell a LOT of turbos. Not sure i would buy them again because there are other models out now, but i think they are likely the best value unless you get a bad unit.

Crank hub: Went VTT rev 2. Inspected and hardness tested my self. All looked good. Install was a pita, but easier than the pin version. Worked great!

Tune: Went with Cary. I wanted a linear torque curve map for pump. He just could not do it, went through dozens of revs, ended up with a lumpy tune and cary saying this is the best its going to get. Upgraded clutch and then purchased another full price tune because he wont rev it after to change goals (ie not have big arse lumps in your tune). Next tune was clean, very clean. A few tweaks it looked great. Then i wanted a kill map and he is now requiring you to pay for conversion of old maps, etc etc. After nickel and diming me, and 1200 dollars poorer i said F it. Honest opinion on Cary, he is professional, expect to wait weeks between revisions, and only go to him if you want his typical map, anything other than that typical map i would go to wedge personally as i have seen him dial in totally new turbos before and is much quicker and easier to talk to.

Clutch: twin disc from spec super easy and holds the power. Little clatter

Charge pipes: China ebay fitment SUCKED. Do not go ebay on charge pipes

Mossle oil filter housing: For down south living it reduced temps and still allowed quick warm up. I recommend.

Sorry the info above is missing a lot of details. Changing platforms and I am lazy. Enjoy the modding and bad ass platform people!
Appreciate 5
      04-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing your feedback and good luck with the new platform

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

We appreciate that good info!

I like hearing that those VTT turbos did you well. I ordered the non-plus and did run into a QC issue with a housing which is being resolved.

When I was picking tuners I saw in Jon's videos (ThicF30) that he did a comparison of Cary and Paul. Outcome was equal in Jon's case (not a heavy tune) but Paul seemed to give more revision work and was responding to requests same-day or next-day. When I picked Paul as my tuner I got the same cared-for service.
      04-22-2021, 09:37 AM   #4
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturboawd View Post
Peers,

Its been a fun 10 years. Ive built 3 NXX cars, and drove my m4 for a year after build. Im done going fast for now, moving to a totally different dad ride and i will certainly miss the platform dearly (look for a bunch of specialty tools soon).

Turbos: I went GC+ after a lot of reviews. The castings are a little off from OEM so have to measure a few things you would not on PS2 during install. I know there are a lot of mixed results on these but i dialed mine in and ran clean for 5K or so i had them. No issues, no smoke, quick spool, etc. Might be a numbers game, they sell a LOT of turbos. Not sure i would buy them again because there are other models out now, but i think they are likely the best value unless you get a bad unit.

Crank hub: Went VTT rev 2. Inspected and hardness tested my self. All looked good. Install was a pita, but easier than the pin version. Worked great!

Tune: Went with Cary. I wanted a linear torque curve map for pump. He just could not do it, went through dozens of revs, ended up with a lumpy tune and cary saying this is the best its going to get. Upgraded clutch and then purchased another full price tune because he wont rev it after to change goals (ie not have big arse lumps in your tune). Next tune was clean, very clean. A few tweaks it looked great. Then i wanted a kill map and he is now requiring you to pay for conversion of old maps, etc etc. After nickel and diming me, and 1200 dollars poorer i said F it. Honest opinion on Cary, he is professional, expect to wait weeks between revisions, and only go to him if you want his typical map, anything other than that typical map i would go to wedge personally as i have seen him dial in totally new turbos before and is much quicker and easier to talk to.

Clutch: twin disc from spec super easy and holds the power. Little clatter

Charge pipes: China ebay fitment SUCKED. Do not go ebay on charge pipes

Mossle oil filter housing: For down south living it reduced temps and still allowed quick warm up. I recommend.

Sorry the info above is missing a lot of details. Changing platforms and I am lazy. Enjoy the modding and bad ass platform people!
What platform? Are you moving to a 4x4? haha
Appreciate 1
ntg442887.50